Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems kinda grim...

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Seems kinda grim...
      Yup! There’s also a Kelpie playbook that explores all sorts of poetic meanings for drowning someone.

Faeries are dark folk.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Yup! There’s also a Kelpie playbook that explores all sorts of poetic meanings for drowning someone.

Faeries are dark folk.
        For sure! I guess most of those just don’t really sound like mixed success results to me. I love the 10+, I actually think that’s a really healthy view of personal relationships, as even when people stay together for life, that relationship is ultimately temporary, and keeping that in mind helps insure that you are in a relationship because, for the time being, it makes you happy. But all of the mixed successes seem to be exactly the opposite. They all seem to suggest staying in the relationship out of loyalty, obligation, or desperation, even though it isn’t actually right for you. “I care for you but you’re not my true love” feels like a mixed success to me because it’s still a successful relationship that while maybe not your ideal is still working for the time being. The others feel like failure results to me.
        Last edited by Charlaquin; 06-30-2018, 03:41 PM.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

For sure! I guess most of those just don’t really sound like mixed success results to me. I love the 10+, I actually think that’s a really healthy view of personal relationships, as even when people stay together for life, that relationship is ultimately temporary, and keeping that in mind helps insure that you are in a relationship because, for the time being, it makes you happy. But all of the mixed successes seem to be exactly the opposite. They all seem to suggest staying in the relationship out of loyalty or obligation even though it isn’t right. “I care for you but you’re not my true love” is the only one that actually feels like a mixed success to me.
          I think that’s the thing; none of them are happy, healthy relationships. The playbook and especially that Move seem to revolve around a tragic or flawed relationship, and the drama that ensues. None of them are really “success.”

(In Monsterhearts, one of the playbooks is largely about being in a toxic relationship. Sometimes the rules in these games are to evoke theme and provoke narrative, not the help you “win.”)

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I think that’s the thing; none of them are happy, healthy relationships. The playbook and especially that Move seem to revolve around a tragic or flawed relationship, and the drama that ensues. None of them are really “success.”

(In Monsterhearts, one of the playbooks is largely about being in a toxic relationship. Sometimes the rules in these games are to evoke theme and provoke narrative, not the help you “win.”)
            Ahh, I gotcha. That makes sense in that case.

Comment

Ahh, I gotcha. That makes sense in that case.
              Under Hollow Hills (and Vx’s more famous work, Apocalypse World) are less about a traditional “a group of player characters try to overcome obstacles” as the play model, and more about being a sort of soap opera where these characters have messy drama together and quite likely don’t get along much at all. It’s a lot more about emergent, interpersonal stuff than a tradgame.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Just beat Iconoclasts.

In a lot of ways, this game reminds me of Owlboy. Both are bright and colorful, but wind up being about some fairly dark stuff. Both have exaggerated, larger-than-life characters who nonetheless have a human side. Both have things go horribly wrong, even though you're trying your best, often because of things you have no control over. It's that last part that leaves me feeling a bit disatisfied with the whole experience - I might win the game... but I don't really feel like I've "won."

At least in Iconoclasts, people aren't regularly blaming you for things that aren't your fault. But then again, all of your friends kinda-sorta ruin themselves for you. It's a mixed bag.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• I’ve been playing lots of Hollow Knight. It is excellent. Great art style that complements its dark tone very well. Challenging but fair combat with a simple mechanics utilized extremely well. Overall, just a great metroidvania game. My thumb is pretty worn out from mashing the jump and attack buttons though.

Comment

• I downloaded Metroid: Samus Returns. Metroid II wasn't just the first Metroidvania game I played, it was one of my first Game Boy game (and I still have it). It is amazing to me how Samus Returns reimagines it, makes it feel fresh, and yet feel so familiar at the same time. Like, I've walked into rooms and noped back out the way I came because I recognize it and I know there is a Metroid in the next chamber, so I've just been hit with an overwhelming sense of dread. That is impressive story telling.

And while the jump scare music that was so terrifying to me as a 6-year-old is gone, the Metroids are a hell of a lot harder to kill this time around.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                    He/His Pronouns
                    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• They are Billions
                      I played long hours and could not leave the computer. I'm a Star Craft II fan and I love RTS games. This is a really interesting game and I recommend it to anyone who likes good RTS

Comment

I’ve been playing lots of Hollow Knight. It is excellent. Great art style that complements its dark tone very well. Challenging but fair combat with a simple mechanics utilized extremely well. Overall, just a great metroidvania game. My thumb is pretty worn out from mashing the jump and attack buttons though.
                        Top of the list for when I get my Switch.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                          I downloaded Metroid: Samus Returns. Metroid II wasn't just the first Metroidvania game I played, it was one of my first Game Boy game (and I still have it). It is amazing to me how Samus Returns reimagines it, makes it feel fresh, and yet feel so familiar at the same time. Like, I've walked into rooms and noped back out the way I came because I recognize it and I know there is a Metroid in the next chamber, so I've just been hit with an overwhelming sense of dread. That is impressive story telling.

And while the jump scare music that was so terrifying to me as a 6-year-old is gone, the Metroids are a hell of a lot harder to kill this time around.
                          And of course now that I've said that and am playing on a 3DS, a screeching Alpha Metroid flying across the front of the screen instead popping out of the cave in the background still has the same jump scare effect.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                          He/His Pronouns
                          CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Lots of little, neat games available via the Summer Sale on Steam. Been playing Cultist Simulator and Into the Breach mostly, with some Heat Signature. The last two are interesting. Into the Breach is a little tactical game played on an 8x8 battlefield with control over ~3 units. But it's turn based. Heat Signature involves flying through space to break into spaceships of various sizes with various levels of security and doing something adventurous on board. I'm surprised at how long it takes to get through a stage of Into the Breach compared to Heat Signature, which is very frenetic at times (even though it encourages use of pause to give you some 'semi' turn-based action).
                            Last edited by nofather; 07-04-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• i'm sad G-eazy and Halsey have split up. They were such a good couple
                              edit:sorry that was meant to go into "You Know what i hate MKI"
                              Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 07-04-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• The new Dead By Daylight content is finally coming to PS4 today

but

I have an exam in three days.

Oh well, I'll try to be responsible and not make stupid choices.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Working...
                                X