No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm midway through Moonlighter. It's crashed a few times, but other than that it's been great.

If you're familiar with Recettear - imagine that, but with better animation and reoriented to put as much emphasis as possible on the dungeon-crawling.

If you're not familiar with Recettear, imagine being somebody who runs an item shop for wandering RPG adventurers. Now, imagine that you have to personally go into dungeons outside of business hours to gather up materials to sell in your store. That basically sums up both games.

The biggest contrast between them is in their focus, I think. From Day 1, in Recettear your goal is to pay off a debt. Everything you do in the game is to make money. Dungeon expeditions are a way to get things to sell, and not much else. There are sideplots involving other characters and those dungeons, but it's not as important as what you do in your store.

By contrast, Moonlighter starts with you in a dungeon, killing monsters and looting them for parts. You're introduced to the shop not so much as an important thing unto itself, but as a vehicle for you to make money, which you need to buy things to improve your dungeon-crawling experience - weapons, armor, enchantments.

Where Recettear was about dungeon-crawling to make a buck, Moonlighter is about making a buck to finance your dungeon-crawling. I think it's an interesting contrast.
    Last edited by semicasual; 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
      I'm midway through Moonlighter. It's crashed a few times, but other than that it's been great.

If you're familiar with Recettear - imagine that, but with better animation and reoriented to put as much emphasis as possible on the dungeon-crawling.

If you're not familiar with Recettear, imagine being somebody who runs an item shop for wandering RPG adventurers. Now, imagine that you have to personally go into dungeons outside of business hours to gather up materials to sell in your store. That basically sums up both games.

The biggest contrast between them is in their focus, I think. From Day 1, in Recettear your goal is to pay off a debt. Everything you do in the game is to make money. Dungeon expeditions are a way to get things to sell, and not much else. There are sideplots involving other characters and those dungeons, but it's not as important as what you do in your store.

By contrast, Moonlighter starts with you in a dungeon, killing monsters and looting them for parts. You're introduced to the shop not so much as an important thing unto itself, but as a vehicle for you to make money, which you need to buy things to improve your dungeon-crawling experience - weapons, armor, enchantments.

Where Recettear was about dungeon-crawling to make a buck, Moonlighter is about making a buck to finance your dungeon-crawling. I think it's an interesting contrast.
      A streamer I like who obsessive plays roguelikes did a few hour-long stream of Moonlighter and just really didn’t enjoy it. Combat looked like a huge pain.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• The dialogue and story in Recettear were amazing and the primary reason why I enjoyed the game so much. Does Moonlighter have interesting dialogue and characters as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          A streamer I like who obsessive plays roguelikes did a few hour-long stream of Moonlighter and just really didn’t enjoy it. Combat looked like a huge pain.
          I didn't think so? It's not the most diverse combat system I've ever seen (because you only control one character, whose moveset is based on which of 4 weapons he is using), but it's pretty solid, the animations look good, and there's a wide range of interesting enemies. IIRC, Recettear used a lot of pallet-swapped enemies and combat was always a bit awkward.

Out of curiousity, what weapons did they use? I went with a greatsword and a bow, but I can imagine how a different loadout might be difficult to work with.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
          The dialogue and story in Recettear were amazing and the primary reason why I enjoyed the game so much. Does Moonlighter have interesting dialogue and characters as well?
          Yes, but they're not as prominent. And by "not as prominent" I mean "you can easily spend the whole game running back and forth between the shop and dungeon and never talk to anyone*."

Recettear was almost a visual novel. Moonlighter is more about the action, but there are a few prominent townspeople whose stories you can learn about as you go along. Also, the dungeons are characters unto themselves, each with their own aesthetic and lore. It's not a story-heavy game by my standards, but there's enough for me to feel motivated to walk around town every so often and see how people are responding to Will's escapades.

*...except the blacksmith, the witch, and Will's great uncle, who frequently interrupts you to say "don't go into the dungeons, boy!"
          Last edited by semicasual; 07-05-2018, 10:02 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• At this time having fun with my tank https://tanktroublepro.com and have been playing rooftop snipers game almost 2 days and still can't win even once :@

There is nothing permanent except change.
            VeveGames.com

Comment

• Slay the spire is probably one of the best steam sale purchases I've made in awhile. Cheap, simple, and fun.

Comment

• Delta Green's got a new Kickstarter.

Comment

• Eagerly waiting for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, coming out next month.

<3

It's made me forget about Shinobi Strikers, also coming out next month.

Comment

• I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance for a while now. I've never played a historical fiction RPG before (at least, not one that wasn't fantastic in some way), and I'm pretty impressed by how much effort has gone into making everything seem authentic. And the melee combat is some of the most involved I've ever seen in a first-person RPG.

Comment

• I bought Nier: Automata. I don't know when I will play Nier: Automata, but I can attest that I own a copy of it. Good job me?

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                        I bought Nier: Automata. I don't know when I will play Nier: Automata, but I can attest that I own a copy of it. Good job me?
                        Similarly, today while I was out picking up my copy of Octopath Traveler, I also discovered my Gamestop had some NES Classic Minis in stock and decided to get one. Mostly on the whim of "eh, what the hell, at least I can say that I own one".

Comment

• I played Drakengard 1 and 2 and when I heard the Nier series was sort of a sequel I got curious but not really excited to play, I haven't bit the bullet yet though waiting for the price to drop on the ps4 when I have more time to kill.

Still splitting my time before the Steam Summer gets and plotting for Forsaken.
                          Last edited by nofather; 07-14-2018, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• Meanwhile, looks like nuWW got beaten to the punch on getting a TRPG adapted into a show on a premium streaming series.

Amazon Studios has picked up Tales from the Loop to adapt into a TV series.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                              Meanwhile, looks like nuWW got beaten to the punch on getting a TRPG adapted into a show on a premium streaming series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tales-loop-tv-series-set-at-amazon-1127706&quot;]Amazon Studios has picked up Tales from the Loop to adapt into a TV series. [/URL]
                              Note that it’s based off the art and original setting, and not the tabletop explicitly. Nothing I’ve seen about this has even mentioned thw tabletop.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• In need of a new(and good) zombie game. Here's hoping the new Walking Dead game will be good. And...better than the show.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X