Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Smash Bros info!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=P-kQWJrjRV4

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• I've been playing Super Daryl Deluxe for a few dozen hours now.

The gameplay itself is pretty conventional as far as metroidvania RPGs go. You equip a set of moves (which you purchase, earn, or find as you go through the game) that deal damage, status effects, etc. Thus armed, you travel through a landscape full of enemies, killing them for items, money, and experience. Sadly, there's a lot of grinding in this game - far, far too many "quests" that boil down to "kill an arbitary number of a particular kind of monster" or "gather so many items". It's an irritating slog if you're like me and feel compelled to do everything that gets noted in your journal.

This is mostly made up for by the fact that the game is so freaking weird. I can't even explain its plot or aesthetics except in terms of itself. I.E., This is the game where you play a noodly mute hippie and run through a WWI battlefield, shooting rubber ducks at goblins. This so you can join Caesar, Ghengis Khan, Napoleon, and Cleopatra in an epic team up against a real-time-strategy game enthusiast leading an army of said goblins. This is actually a diversion from what you were *supposed* to be doing, which was getting back a classmate's cell phone from the vice-principal. And the vice principal is a killer kung-fu robot. And no matter where you are or what you're doing, the background music is chanting your name.
      Last edited by semicasual; 08-08-2018, 01:45 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• So QuakeCon 2018 is in town, which opens with a gameplay reveal of DOOM: Eternal.

I'm excited.
        ----------------------------------------------
        Also, got around to firing up multiplayer on my copy of Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Is still a hella good time all these years later.

Comment

• An open beta for the Switch version of Dragon Ball FighterZ gave me a chance to finally get a go on that game. I had a blast, and no small amount of success; there are principles in fighting games that I'm drawn by, but the idea of long, complex move lists puts me off, so I appreciated something with a simpler control scheme. I'll probably end up getting the full version.

The only hiccup was the fact that I misunderstood the time that it would be ending, meaning that I did not get enough time to make a full recording of my saved replays. There were some really fun matches that I wanted to capture in there as well, particularly with my team of Krillin, Piccolo and teen Gohan.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• The new DOOM is looking like a lot of mindless fun and I'm looking forward to it. The armor changes are a bit odd. Especially the little shoulder cannon.

Comment

• I've been playing Starcrawlers for a bit now, and I have mixed feelings about it.

It combines short, procedurally generated dungeons with Legend-of-Grimrock-esque first-person exploration and turn-based RPG combat. I like the random dungeons and the exploration, but the combat doesn't quite feel satisfying. I think this is because most battles have a very low risk of killing your party outright - instead, the challenge comes from managing your resources, because health is hard to regain and long crawls can wear down your party with debilitating status ailments. That's not a model of combat I find very engaging, frankly - I'd rather have battles where every contest carries a real risk of death, but you get fully restored out-of-combat so that you can throw all of your resources into every fight.

As an example, I remember one battle I got into with a pair of enemies who could only scratch me, but had very high health. After we spent a few rounds chipping away at each other, I did some long division with our respective health and damage values and was able to determine with mathematical certainty that I would win in XX turns. Knowing that made the fight much less engaging.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Working...
              X