Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post

...Are our brains linked or something? Because I started playing Bloodborne for the first time yesterday. Yharnam is a fraggen' maze - ups and downs and twists and turns. I simultaneously enjoy the intricacy and detail of the levels while audibly sighing with relief when I find a shortcut.

I also notice I'm having an easier time with the bosses than, say, the folks over at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9f9NH5u32I&list=PLAD5jdjmBF53x5u53UYlB6ZSe2nDpvzx_ "]Team Four Star[/URL]. But of course, I don't drink, and I play alone without anybody to distract me.
    Did the Team Fourstar folks play any Dark Souls prior to playing Bloodborne? I’ve heard that people who were used to the slow, methodical pace of Dark Souls combat had a lot of trouble with the Bloodborne bosses, especially the early ones, while folks who hadn’t played much Souls didn’t have nearly as much trouble.

Also alcohol. That will definitely make bosses harder, in any video game.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Did the Team Fourstar folks play any Dark Souls prior to playing Bloodborne? I’ve heard that people who were used to the slow, methodical pace of Dark Souls combat had a lot of trouble with the Bloodborne bosses, especially the early ones, while folks who hadn’t played much Souls didn’t have nearly as much trouble.

I played all 3 Dark Souls games. For me there wasn't too much of a learning curve, although that might be because I was never patient enough for Dark Souls to begin with. The shift in combat from dodging and blocking to parrying also helps, because I have an easier time standing my ground than I do running around and trying to flank enemies.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Anyone looking forward Life Is Strange 2? I'm a big fan of the first one and its prequel so I'm rather hyped about this new one.

"Fun" fact: I discovered the first one while looking for supernatural small towns setting inspiration for a CoD thing I was working on. Everything is connected.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

This was the first souls-like game for Lanipator and Kirran (the individuals playing in the stream). Another member of the team, Grant (who doesn't show up in streams until later) has played Dark Souls before.

Ironically, Lani and Kirran had a hard time adjusting to Dark Souls 3 when they played it later on.
          Last edited by Prometheus878; 09-20-2018, 04:19 PM.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

I’ve heard that people who were used to the slow, methodical pace of Dark Souls combat had a lot of trouble with the Bloodborne bosses, especially the early ones, while folks who hadn’t played much Souls didn’t have nearly as much trouble.
            I think it varies. I had played a good deal of Dark Souls in the half a year prior to getting Bloodborne that I owned it, but between my having often favoured a dodge heavy style with fast slashing weapon in the first place and having caught a few clips to give me the gist of the changes in gameplay, I found the transition quite smooth.

Of all the From Software games that I've played, it's the only one in which the first boss that I faced never killed me the first time that I played it.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Just a friendly reminder that Pathfinder Kingmaker is coming out on the 25th, which should be next Tuesday!

I'm tempted to do a joke playthrough in which I make everybody in the party a Dragon Disciple.

Let's see the final boss take on 6 shapeshifted Dragons at the same time!

Comment

• RIP Telltale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satcom View Post
                  RIP Telltale.
                  Just read about it. What a bunch of assholes. I feel sorry for all of the workers who were left out in the cold. That was a seriously dick move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satcom View Post
                    RIP Telltale.
                    Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

Just read about it. What a bunch of assholes. I feel sorry for all of the workers who were left out in the cold. That was a seriously dick move.
                    What I find appalling to hear is how, if the rumors are true, ALL of their games since TWD season 1 were financial flops...and yet somehow they still buying up these lucrative licenses to make games out of.

Fucking, HOW???

Comment

• The game industry has a pretty high bar to consider something financially successful. There's a lot of games that sell a lot, are really popular, but are deemed failures because they didn't hit some obscure pie in the sky number.

I don't know if it's greed or part of their toxic hiring structure, as things like suddenly taking on 3x your normal workforce is bound to be a huge expense.

I edited this post, rather than adding a new post.

Pathfinder Kingmaker has come out today. Someone on this forum was eager to play it. I haven't heard anything really good about it, but it's hard to tell at this point if that's just backers being grumpy or whatever.

This has seemed like a really bad season for games. Though I'm looking forward to the new Devil May Cry and Soul Calibur.
                      Last edited by nofather; 09-26-2018, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• Pathfinder seems to be having issues regarding the difficulty scales being a strange rollercoaster of buffs and nerfs which sometimes cause seemingly simple encounters to be significantly more difficult than they should be. Seems like the type of things that can be easily patched or modded.

Valkyrie chronicles seems to be a pretty good sequel if you enjoyed the first game.

Comment

• Just had a very satisfying win in the challenge mode of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It involved a rematch against some of the game's main antagonists, and it was nice to get a go at them under circumstances where I could actually pay attention to what their capabilities were, and needed to plan around them.

It took a lot of attempts, a few changes to my team, a little bit of optimisation (especially boosting defence against one of their more devastating moves), and a modicum of luck, and even the winning attempt took close to twenty minutes, but I had a whale of a time in succeeding at it. It's one that I'm glad to have done prior to New Game+, especially since that adds a certain something that would have thrown it off a little bit.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Had a nice 4 player game of Cthulhu Wars over the weekend, first time playing for the other 3 people. Everyone liked it enough that they want to make it a regular thing at least once a month, which makes me happy since I spent a lot of money on the game and it's expansions via Kickstarter.

I was Crawling Chaos and got my butt handed to me because I completely misplayed the faction. Yellow Sign won with Great Cthulhu a very close second (they were winning until the last turn). Black Goat finished a few Doom points ahead of me. Looking forward to getting a chance to play CC again now that I have a better idea on how to play them.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                            Posts in this color are moderator posts
                            Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                            Forum Terms of Use
                            the Contact Us link.

Comment

• So, Boot Hill 2E is now Print-on-Demand at DTRPG and I am thinking of buying and going on some Wild West adventures.

I've played Boot Hill 2E online before, and while it is lethal in combat, it is a fun game

Comment

• So. This is kinda weird, but please bear with me.

I've been a PC and Playstation dude all my life, ever since I was a kid. I think I've played a Nintendo game exactly... once? Twice? I don't know. Point is, they didn't appeal to me.

Until now.

I just turned 30 this year, and realized how negative the world can be. I don't have many "happy" games in my collection. And now, I realize that I just want to have a fun, light-hearted adventure once in a while.

Nintendo games seem to be mostly cheerful, upbeat games, even the more serious ones. And every fan I've seen on the internet loves them to death, and now I'm wondering whether I should take the plunge.

So, folks. Do you think I should get a Nintendo console and some games?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Working...
                                X