Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Looks like all the speculation on Smash Ultimate fighters can finally be put to rest. I’m sure folks will still speculate on the DLC characters, but a few of the big ones got shown as assist trophies.

I guess a lot of folks were disappointed by this Direct? Probably because each of the previous two had a surprise reveal of a fan favorite, in addition to a few others, while this one’s surprise reveal at the end was Piranha Plant as a pre-order bonus. If they had saved Ridley or King K for the final reveal, everyone would be overjoyed with the roster. But the same content revealed, exciting info presented in a les-than-climactic way will never fail to disappoint.

Well, fandom overreactions aside, I’m super stoked for this game.

As someone unfamiliar with the series, but very interested in playing this one(and purchasing a Switch along with it), could you give your opinion on the disappointment with the lack of traditional trophies normally found in a Smash Bros. game compared to what this new one is giving the fans?

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
      As someone unfamiliar with the series, but very interested in playing this one(and purchasing a Switch along with it), could you give your opinion on the disappointment with the lack of traditional trophies normally found in a Smash Bros. game compared to what this new one is giving the fans?
      Oh, for sure!

In previous Smash games, trophies have been provided as collectibles you can earn as you play. Each is a unique 3d-modeled figure of a character or item from Nintendo’s games, and they come with blurbs with descriptions and trivia. They’re pretty neat, and for folks who like to collect all the little tchotchkes in a game, they were a really cool incentive to keep you playing. Certainly much cooler than run of the mill achievements.

The replacement, Spirits, seem to fill the same role as collectibles to grind for, but instead of 3d modeled figurines, they seem to be more abstract baubles. They will presumably be able to include a LOT more of them, since they won’t be nearly as labor-intensive to create. They will also apparently be able to be equipped to Fighters to give them various stat boosts, Materia style. Presumably these advantages will only apply in certain modes, but the details aren’t totally clear yet.

To be honest, I think it was a really strange choice to frame Spirits as a replacement for Trophies. They’re really nothing like Trophies, except in the vaguest sense of them both being collectibles you earn as you play. But they’re really more like stickers from Brawl (and I think 4?) than Trophies. They should have just come right out and said that Trophies were too time-consuming and expensive, and that their inclusion would have meant sacrifices in other areas. Spirits may have eaten the budget for Trophies, but they are really not a replacement for them.

Personally, I’m not too bothered by it because trophies have never been a main feature of the game for me. They’re undoubtedly very cool, and I can see why the folks who liked them are disappointed. As far as in-game collectibles go, Trophies were easily among the best, so it sucks that they’re gone. I’m still not sure how I feel about Spirits “replacing them.” On paper they seem more appealing to me than Trophies because they have a use in the game other than just being a cool thing to look at. On the other hand, the system for them seems really overcomplicated, especially for power-ups that will probably be cordoned off to certain game modes, so I don’t know how much their utility will really matter to me. Beyond that, it’s a trade-off of quantity for quality, and I’d rather fewer, better collectibles than more, less interesting ones. So it’ll come down to how useful they really are.

Either way though, neither Trophies or Spirits are really deal making or breaking features for me.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Personally I was always surprised at how much work Nintendo put into the trophies in previous Smash games. I imagine most players would get a trophy, spend maybe, maybe 30 seconds looking at it, and then go back to playing the game and never look at it again. With the amount of artistic work they put into modeling and creating the trophies, it almost seemed like they could have just made another character or two instead.

Comment

• I've recently reinstalled VtM Bloodlines, and added in the Antitribu Mod. I've run the mod before, and liked it, so I figured it was worth playing over the vanilla version with the patch. I'd genuinely only played the mod through with a standard Tzimisce character, which I enjoyed a lot. The extra bits of gore and blood that come with the mod makes a fleshcrafter feel appropriate to me.

I didn't go that way this time.

This time I finally got around to the Lasombra. So far, things are interesting. The Clan flaw essentially just makes the game treat you like you've lost Masquerade points, sending in hunters at inopportune moments (like every other time I visit the Asylum). It's entertaining enough, especially when you're fighting a sword wielding hunter in the middle of the street and the police, apparently in on the Second Inquisition or something, only focus on you. Maybe they're all fans of the Highlander franchise? I haven't made it to Hollywood yet, but I'm guessing Downtown has some capable sword wielding hunters to go along with its cults and carnivorous relic seekers.

Sidenote: I really wish they would update the Samedi and Nagaraja Discipline spreads to their latest iterations. Having Necromancy and Nihilistics/Thanatosis is bulky, and it takes away basic, fundamental Disciplines that add to the feel and playability of those bloodlines.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
          - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
          (She/Her)

Comment

On paper they seem more appealing to me than Trophies because they have a use in the game other than just being a cool thing to look at.
            I think it depends on what the primary appeal of Smash Bros is to any given person. If it was in the crossover element, melding these characters from a variety of franchises together and seeing how they crash together, then I think one would be of the mindset where the primary fun of trophies was being able to delve into tidbits from the backlog of Nintendo's illustrious history, particularly with references to properties that were old, obscure, or never released outside of Japan, as well as just a general celebration of the range (and occasionally deriving a bit of humour from the snarky descriptions).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              I think it depends on what the primary appeal of Smash Bros is to any given person. If it was in the crossover element, melding these characters from a variety of franchises together and seeing how they crash together, then I think one would be of the mindset where the primary fun of trophies was being able to delve into tidbits from the backlog of Nintendo's illustrious history, particularly with references to properties that were old, obscure, or never released outside of Japan, as well as just a general celebration of the range (and occasionally deriving a bit of humour from the snarky descriptions).
              Oh, absolutely! For me, Trophies were always just a cool side thing. As AnubisXY put it, I’d get a trophy, admire it for about 30 seconds, and probably never look at it again. So, for me, it’s no great loss. My reaction when Sakurai said it was clear trophies wouldn’t be a good fit for Ultimate was “aww, that’s too bad. Oh well, they probably needed that time and money to fit in so many fighters and stages.” But that’s just me personally. I can totally understand why their loss would be a much bigger deal to others. Smash is a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and I can only speak for myself and what it is to me.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Oh, absolutely! For me, Trophies were always just a cool side thing. As AnubisXY put it, I’d get a trophy, admire it for about 30 seconds, and probably never look at it again. So, for me, it’s no great loss.
                When you say "absolutely", are you saying that you can see my perspective while holding an alternative one, or are you misreading me as having the same perspective as yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  When you say "absolutely", are you saying that you can see my perspective while holding an alternative one, or are you misreading me as having the same perspective as yourself?
                  Out of the options, I guess the former? I’m saying I agree with you that it depends on what the primary appeal of Smash is for each individual. For me, the trophies were never a part of the primary appeal, so their loss to me is a mild bummer but no big deal. But I appreciate that Smash appeals to a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons, and understand why the loss of trophies might be a deal breaker for some.

Comment

• I will say that, while I liked the trophies a lot, I'm not really going to fault the development team for removing them because it's already clear that they're working super hard, probably trying to make an effective compromise between the more fan service elements and customisable competitive gameplay, and did end up ultimately including a fun crossover thing with the adventure mode.

Comment

• Just started playing Deltarune today. So far, so good. Excited to see how it all plays out.

Comment

Just started playing Deltarune today. So far, so good. Excited to see how it all plays out.
                        Update: It was, unsurprisingly, a great game. Short, but delightful, and above and beyond the quality I would usually expect from a free game. I’m sure it’s going to be a long wait for the next chapter, but I am eagerly looking forward to it.

Comment

• My son loved the first one so I'm glad to hear this one is good, it's sort of a reward for him if he earns it.

I haven't heard anything about Call of Cthulhu! Is it good, or bad?

And does anyone know any space flight sims that are good? Like, you're a 'FPS spaceship' kind of thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                            I haven't heard anything about Call of Cthulhu! Is it good, or bad?
                            I haven’t played it yet, but what I’ve heard is mixed, leaning towards positive. Critiques are that it’s a little bit janky (not broken, just a bit technically awkward), and that there are some sections where progress is very trial-and-error. Like, you have to do something pretty specific and not obvious to solve a puzzle or escape a monster, and the game doesn’t really give you enough information to figure out what you’re supposed to do.

On the positive side, I’m hearing it does Lovecraft well for a video game. A heavy focus on investigation, with the horror being largely implicit, like the best parts of Dark Corners of the Earth. Apparently there are some stealth sections and some combat sections that seem a little forced and “cuz video game,” but that they’re not too intrusive on the rest of the experience. I’ve also heard that the RPG-like stats are cool, but that it’s kind of hard to tell how much they really affect things.

Comment

• TBH, one of the primary reasons I've been keeping an eye on Call of Cthulhu is because Cyanide is (still, as far as we know) developing the WoD Werewolf game. It's good to hear they've done decently well with another horror setting.

Comment

• Is anyone playing Fallout 76?

Comment

Working...
                                X