No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grabbed Zone of Enders the 2nd Runner for the PS4 and I'm loving the nostalgia. After that I'll be playing Spider-Man

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
      I've always been curious. That simulates 3d combat, right? It's always seemed a shame that 3d combat gets so complex and seems to rely a lot more on miniatures, but even as someone who's not a Star Wars fan I can appreciate good looking minis.
      Like EoZ said, it's mostly a 2d affair. I liked the 1st ed games I played using an Imperial Raider as an obstacle. There was no overlapping that obstacle (which translates into no going over/under it.)

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
      Posts in this color are moderator posts
      Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
      Forum Terms of Use
      the Contact Us link.

Comment

• In another unexpected turn of events, Bungie just announced that they’re separating from Activision and going to publish Destiny independently from here on out.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I went ahead and bought the Apocalypse World 2e PDF. I probably shouldn’t have, cause money is tight between now and the 16th, I’m busy writing a script and researching Renaissance medicine for work, and I’m already committed to a long-term D&D campaign. But damnit, I’ve been curious about the system for a long time now, and it was on sale on DrivethruRPG.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
            In another unexpected turn of events, Bungie just announced that they’re separating from Activision and going to publish Destiny independently from here on out.
            Huh.

Granted, from the whisperings of how Activision and Bungie's relationship was getting rapidly frayed, writing always seemed to be on the wall, but I never thought they'd actually carry through with splitting.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Huh.

Granted, from the whisperings of how Activision and Bungie's relationship was getting rapidly frayed, writing always seemed to be on the wall, but I never thought they'd actually carry through with splitting.
              I'd bet it was Activision who did the dumping. They're only 8 years into the 10-year plan, and while we don't know the details of the contract, it seems unlikely that Bungie would have been able to pull out if Activision didn't want them to. Most likely, after the recent nosedive Activision's stock took and subsequent management shakeup, they decided Destiny isn't worth the trouble any more and let Bungie go. That said, it seems like Bungie is very happy to be free of Activision, so it was probably pretty mutually amicable

A lot of Destiny fans are stoked, but I'm a bit more skeptical that this will be a good thing for Destiny. It will definitely be a good thing for Bungie - full creative freedom over their baby and all that. But Activision's pressure wouldn't have been such a restriction on Bungie if they weren't consistently way behind schedule. I'm predicting that the overall content quality will increase, but the pace at which new content is added will decrease significantly. I predict a lot less blatant, anti-consumer monetization, but a lot more time-gating of new content to try and stretch it out across wider release gaps.

To indulge in a bit wilder speculation, I'd guess they're going to finish out the current roadmap for Destiny 2, and then do one more annual pass to hold them over until the release of the next title (which will almost definitely have a non-numbered title like "Final Destiny" or "Your Destiny" or something instead of Destiny 3), and that will be the last time the base game changes. After that, they'll try to move to a more MMO-like content model, with no more small, periodic DLC. Either they go subscription-based, in which case I expect to see more like we've been getting so far in D2 year 2, with constant small, free (if you have a subscription/annual pass) updates, or they go buy-to-play with microtransactions. In the latter case, I expect most of the little content updates to go away, and for them to focus entirely on big yearly expansions. We were already hearing rumors that the next game would be much more geared towards their hardcore audience, with more in-depth RPG systems. I'd bet without Activision's influence, they're going to lean into that even harder.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 01-12-2019, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• I can't get into MMOs anymore (have a hard time with single games) but I appreciate the optimistic sides of the fandom. It's nice to see people talking who aren't constantly 'It's shit. The new guy doing things? He's shit. That thing they put up is shit, I know I haven't seen it yet but based on the description we've been told it's shit.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  That said, it seems like Bungie is very happy to be free of Activision, so it was probably pretty mutually amicable
                  Oh I'm sure they are...granted I can't but feel like history is being repeated.

Back when they were still doing Halo, they were also starting to feel the weight of Microsoft's grasp around their neck and wanted out...and, well, here we are.

A lot of Destiny fans are stoked, but I'm a bit more skeptical that this will be a good thing for Destiny. It will definitely be a good thing for Bungie - full creative freedom over their baby and all that. But Activision's pressure wouldn't have been such a restriction on Bungie if they weren't consistently way behind schedule. I'm predicting that the overall content quality will increase, but the pace at which new content is added will decrease significantly. I predict a lot less blatant, anti-consumer monetization, but a lot more time-gating of new content to try and stretch it out across wider release gaps.
                  AKA what they did during The Taken King's year which...yeaaaaah the core playerbase wasn't happy with that. I remember quite of lot of complaints online when Sparrow Racing League and Crimson Days debuted and consistent sentiment of:

"...that's it? WTH Bungie??? Free's free, I know, but fuck man."

Well we won't know for sure until this year's E3...presuming that they're sticking to the original model of "Base Game -> Expansion -> Base Game -> Expansion" since back with D1, Rise of the Iron was only made to buy Bungie more time for D2, since that game was originally supposed to come out in 2016.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  It's nice to see people talking who aren't constantly 'It's shit. The new guy doing things? He's shit. That thing they put up is shit, I know I haven't seen it yet but based on the description we've been told it's shit.'
                  Gawd it was almost a relief when the gamer hatedom decided to move on to bug Bethesda about Fallout 76...almost. And then no one wanted to shut the fuck up about that game. -,-

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    I can't get into MMOs anymore (have a hard time with single games) but I appreciate the optimistic sides of the fandom. It's nice to see people talking who aren't constantly 'It's shit. The new guy doing things? He's shit. That thing they put up is shit, I know I haven't seen it yet but based on the description we've been told it's shit.'
                    Very true. Destiny's fandom is particularly negative.

Comment

• Resident Evil 2 demo was fantastic.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• I've been playing Resident Evil: Director's Cut on my Playstation Classic and I forgot how awesome that game was.

Really takes me back to when i discovered Resident Evil back in the late 90's. I was literally four years old and my uncle bought a copy of RE1 and my parents let me play it (I had permissive Gen X Goth parents) and needless to say, it was the first time I was both scared to death yet also having the time of my life, it was a real thrill ride.

The zombie dogs in the hallway still get me to this day.

Comment

• I've been playing Vampyr for a bit, doing a no-embrace run.

This game is really fascinating in how it incentivizes you to pay attention to characters. There are scores of unique NPCs in this game, but in order to get the most XP possible you have to investigate all of them individually - talk to them, talk to their friends, maybe do some jobs for them, surveil them, and dig up letters or notes they have written or which have been written about them.

If you *do* embrace them, this makes you feel like even more like a serial killer/predator, studying these people before you take their lives. And even if you don't, this approach to character development encourages you to them as more than just window dressing for your adventure, or walking bundles of XP. I remember the identities of over 60 fictional characters from this game, and that's not something I can say about most things I play/watch/read.
                          Last edited by semicasual; 01-22-2019, 03:54 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                            I've been playing Vampyr for a bit, doing a no-embrace run.

This game is really fascinating in how it incentivizes you to pay attention to characters. There are scores of unique NPCs in this game, but in order to get the most XP possible you have to investigate all of them individually - talk to them, talk to their friends, maybe do some jobs for them, surveil them, and dig up letters or notes they have written or which have been written about them.

If you *do* embrace them, this makes you feel like even more like a serial killer/predator, studying these people before you take their lives. And even if you don't, this approach to character development encourages you to them as more than just window dressing for your adventure, or walking bundles of XP. I remember the identities of over 60 fictional characters from this game, and that's not something I can say about most things I play/watch/read.
                            I had a lot of fun with Vampyr for that exact reason. The game world becomes especially dynamic if you are willing to drain a few Citizens, too, with the aftereffects of their disappearance rippling through their social circle. (And given the dark secrets many Citizens have, it's hard to say some of them don't deserve it...)

Comment

• Nintendo just announced that Metroid Prime 4 has been going through some major issues in its development, so they’ve decided to start from scratch and bring in Retro to whip the folks who had been working on it into shape. Glad to hear Nintendo is upholding their quality standards, and that Retro will be involved after all, but who knows how long it’ll be now before the game is out.

Comment

Working...
                              X