No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been replaying a LOT of Grand Theft Auto on my PS3 and Xbox 360, particularly GTA IV and GTA San Andreas.

I've been playing so much of those games lately that I signed up for GTA Forums and began pouring in a lot of creative energy into a dream concept for what would the perfect Grand Theft Auto game to me. I posted the link in another thread, but if you're interested in checking out my work-in-progress concept for how I would write a GTA game, I'll re-post the link here for those who want to check it out.

TL;DR I freaking love GTA and have been playing it obsessively these past few days.

https://gtaforums.com/topic/924404-g...amily-secrets/

Comment

• Just started Anthem, only played a bit. It's a -lot- like Destiny, I'm pretty sure I made some comments about that when we saw the trailer. You play a 'Freelancer' who is supposed to be some mercenary type, but you're clearly just an adventuring hero. The world seems more fantastic, less sci-fi (but, again, very early into the game), I'm really hoping they go all out like Exalted and say the world is just one huge plane rather than a planet in space.

The flying is neat.

I really don't like these games that push you into multiplayer, though. I get it. When you have a group, you add social and peer pressure to things, and people are more likely to keep playing the game and buying whatever DLC or expansions so they can keep that social connection. But I don't like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
        Just started Anthem, only played a bit. It's a -lot- like Destiny, I'm pretty sure I made some comments about that when we saw the trailer. You play a 'Freelancer' who is supposed to be some mercenary type, but you're clearly just an adventuring hero. The world seems more fantastic, less sci-fi (but, again, very early into the game), I'm really hoping they go all out like Exalted and say the world is just one huge plane rather than a planet in space.
        I played the demo and I loved it. Can’t play the full game until the 22nd cause I’m on PS4, but very eager to jump into it then. The science-fantasy feel is very intentional, BioWare wanted something that felt different than both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but was still within their wheelhouse. So it’s not quite sci-fi, not quite fantasy, but has elements of both. The Freelancers are supposed to be analogous to Knights Errant, but with powered exo-suits instead of medieval armor. Not sure if they’ll go with the world being a plane rather than a planet, but in practice it may be a distinction without difference, given that space travel from the world the game is set in is canonically impossible due to extreme atmospheric conditions presumably caused by the Shaper relics.

Other than being a sci-fantasy multiplayer loot shooter though, the similarities to Destiny seemed pretty superficial to me. Destiny is 1st person, and stands mainly on its excellent gunplay, with your space magic playing a pretty limited role. Anthem is 3rd person, heavily focused on abilities and combos with so-so gunplay mostly serving as filler while your abilities are on cooldown, and stands out mainly through its specialized movement mechanics.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        The flying is neat.
        Yeah, this is the best part for me. The movement in general feels great, especially on Interceptor, which I’ve heard is comparable to Warframe.

I really don't like these games that push you into multiplayer, though. I get it. When you have a group, you add social and peer pressure to things, and people are more likely to keep playing the game and buying whatever DLC or expansions so they can keep that social connection. But I don't like it.
        Yeah, that’s the worst part to me. They REALLY want you to play in a group in this one too, to the point where, to do something solo, you have to first change your privacy settings from public to private, then confirm that you really mean it, and THEN when you launch your activity, you get ANOTHER pop-up asking if you want to switch BACK to pupblic.

Like, I don’t mind that you need a team of 4 to do Strongholds, that makes sense. And I guess it’s fine that you need matchmaking on for Free Play, so you have a chance to encounter other Freelancsrs out in the wild, and nothing stops me from going off to do my own thing in free play. But damn is it obnoxious having to triple-confirm that yes, I really do want to do the story missions solo.

On a more positive note though, the customization is incredible, I’m going by to spend so much time just messing with my Javelins’ appearances. And I love the signature BioWare storytelling. I can also tell I’m going to spend a lot of time in Fort Tarsis.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Anthem is 3rd person, heavily focused on abilities and combos with so-so gunplay mostly serving as filler while your abilities are on cooldown, and stands out mainly through its specialized movement mechanics.
          They do a good job of making every move feel like a finisher, even if they aren't.

Yeah, this is the best part for me. The movement in general feels great, especially on Interceptor, which I’ve heard is comparable to Warframe.
          Tempting. I'll have to check out some videos, I started with the Storm who's pretty cool but I'm leaning towards the Colossus as a second. I haven't seen any of them, though.

Yeah, that’s the worst part to me. They REALLY want you to play in a group in this one too, to the point where, to do something solo, you have to first change your privacy settings from public to private, then confirm that you really mean it, and THEN when you launch your activity, you get ANOTHER pop-up asking if you want to switch BACK to pupblic.

Like, I don’t mind that you need a team of 4 to do Strongholds, that makes sense. And I guess it’s fine that you need matchmaking on for Free Play, so you have a chance to encounter other Freelancsrs out in the wild, and nothing stops me from going off to do my own thing in free play. But damn is it obnoxious having to triple-confirm that yes, I really do want to do the story missions solo.
          Yes. Having an offline mode seems like it would be easy to do, too..

On a more positive note though, the customization is incredible, I’m going by to spend so much time just messing with my Javelins’ appearances. And I love the signature BioWare storytelling. I can also tell I’m going to spend a lot of time in Fort Tarsis.
          I wasn't expecting to at all but I like quite a few of the NPCs so far, and the Monitor is cool.

Comment

Tempting. I'll have to check out some videos, I started with the Storm who's pretty cool but I'm leaning towards the Colossus as a second. I haven't seen any of them, though.
            They have a triple jump instead of the double jump of other Javelins, and you can hold dash to dash up to three times as far. And in the demo, jumping in the middle of an air-to ground melee animation cancelled the melee but retained momentum from it, so by chaining jumps, dashes, and melees you could get going incredibly fast. Not sure if that’s changed in the release build, though.

Yes. Having an offline mode seems like it would be easy to do, too..
            Seriously!

My guess is, they want to insure matchmaking times are a short as possible.

I wasn't expecting to at all but I like quite a few of the NPCs so far, and the Monitor is cool.
            Not normally a fan of BioWare? Or just their more recent stuff?

I have theories about the Monitor based on what I know of the lore so far and what I saw in the demo, but I want to avoid any plot spoilers.

Comment

They have a triple jump instead of the double jump of other Javelins, and you can hold dash to dash up to three times as far. And in the demo, jumping in the middle of an air-to ground melee animation cancelled the melee but retained momentum from it, so by chaining jumps, dashes, and melees you could get going incredibly fast. Not sure if that’s changed in the release build, though.
              The no-cooldown melee is nice. I like doing melee and it's rough not being able to just chain those things. For a glass cannon the Storm isn't really able to constantly put out a flow of good damage, though there's cooldown bonuses that probably add up a lot more.

My guess is, they want to insure matchmaking times are a short as possible.
              I was wondering if it was to keep people from hacking and basically getting the best stuff, eliminating need for them to do raids or whatever. Like with Monster Hunter World, on the console there's a fairly tedious save scumming process you could do to ensure you get the best decorations, but with a computer you can cut down the process a lot.

Not normally a fan of BioWare? Or just their more recent stuff?

I have theories about the Monitor based on what I know of the lore so far and what I saw in the demo, but I want to avoid any plot spoilers.
              I haven't found much of the lore beyond what's been encountered.

But no I'm not normally a fan of BioWare, I think the last game I really liked from them was the Baldur's Gate games, and then only because I'm a fan of the lore.

Comment

• I saw my first Colossus today. It wasn't particularly impressive. Glad I went with Interceptor, Warframe is a pretty good comparison. Interceptors, Storms, and Rangers (why?) seem to be the most common.

Comment

I saw my first Colossus today. It wasn't particularly impressive. Glad I went with Interceptor, Warframe is a pretty good comparison. Interceptors, Storms, and Rangers (why?) seem to be the most common.
                  Colossus has a bit of a branding issue. It tries to sell itself as “the tank” in a game whose key selling point is its mobility mechanics, which is a pretty hard sell. And then the people who do like playing tanks in other cooperative multiplayer games go in expecting to be a straight-up meat shield, holding down locations and absorbing a ton of damage while the party healer keeps you from going down and the party DPS takes advantage of the distraction. But the Colossus doesn’t play like that at all. I think it would have been better named the Juggernaut, because that’s what it’s really built to be. It has a lot of health, sure, but it’s more of a bulldozer than a tank - the most effective way to play a Colossus is to stay on the move, ploughing through enemies with your shield raised, dropping down for an AoE melee slam, throwing out a few hard-hitting abilities, and doing it again, picking up health drops as you go.

It also doesn’t help that the colossus was highly reliant on having the right components in the demo. Colossus-specific components gave a huge health boost, which was very much needed since Colossi don’t have an energy shield like the other Javelins and have to manually raise their physical shields. So when you first started playing a Colossus in the demo, you’d have to get by on generic components, which would leave you the squishiest member of your team for a while until you got the right components to drop, which is a really bad first impression to make with people who picked the javelin because they like to tank. Supposedly they re-balanced this for the release build, so now Colossi have better base health, but I can’t confirm that, since I’m stuck waiting for the 22nd, and even if I could play now it would be my last unlock choice.

Then there’s the fact that the Storm and the Interceptor have stronger identities - the mage type who makes up for having low health with a magical forcefield and does lots of AoE damage with spells, and the rogue/assassin/ninja type who’s frail but zips aroind super fast and hits crazy hard in melee are both instantly recognizable and highly popular RPG archetypes. Also the Interceptor is a great bridge for Warframe players. And the Ranger is the Mario of the group - the poster-child who’s solid all-around with no particular specialty but no obvious weaknesses that’s easy to pick up and play but has a high enough skill ceiling to still be rewarding for experienced players.

As for why the Ranger is called that, I think it’s pretty fitting, actually. Keeping in mind that the Freelancers are supposed to be analogous to a knightly order, Rangers in that sort of fantasy context are the scouts who brave the wilds beyond the walls of civilization, taking the fight to the enemies and blazing a trail for others to follow. It’s kind of the most quintessential expression of the Knight Errant archetype that Freelancers are meant to parallel, and the Ranger is meant to be the most iconic Javelin. Makes sense to me, anyway.
                  Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-17-2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Just started Anthem, only played a bit. It's a -lot- like Destiny, I'm pretty sure I made some comments about that when we saw the trailer. You play a 'Freelancer' who is supposed to be some mercenary type, but you're clearly just an adventuring hero. The world seems more fantastic, less sci-fi (but, again, very early into the game), I'm really hoping they go all out like Exalted and say the world is just one huge plane rather than a planet in space.

The flying is neat.

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                    I played the demo and I loved it.
                    Hmmm...it's tempting for me to check into Anthem if that's the case.

Granted there is the small issue of needing to gather up a reliable crew of buddies who want to do the co-op stuff...and there's the small matter of still having other games on the backlog I probably shouldn't be keeping waiting. >_>

(Meanwhile, I'm counting down how long it'll take before the live-service-hatedom-of-gaming tear it apart completely...although it seems like they've already started on its cosmetic microtransactions being too pricy...)

Comment

As for why the Ranger is called that, I think it’s pretty fitting, actually. Keeping in mind that the Freelancers are supposed to be analogous to a knightly order, Rangers in that sort of fantasy context are the scouts who brave the wilds beyond the walls of civilization, taking the fight to the enemies and blazing a trail for others to follow. It’s kind of the most quintessential expression of the Knight Errant archetype that Freelancers are meant to parallel, and the Ranger is meant to be the most iconic Javelin. Makes sense to me, anyway.
                      I was thinking of what you said about Knight Errants. Throughout the game some people stop calling them Freelancers and start calling them lancers. A little looking in and sure enough the origin of the word freelancer is based around knights who would take positions where the money is highest (I probably should have known that). I'm not sure I'm getting paid much in game but yeah it definitely seems to be more of a Champion caste than mercenaries.

I'll still probably go Colossus next. The Ranger just doesn't interest me and the Colossus seems like a nice alternative. I was hoping for more of a bulldozer-like gameplay for them rather than tanking so your review sounds pretty nice. The videos I saw covered the lack of a shield but didn't get much into other things, or how you were meant to be played, and seemed pretty theoretical about their powers.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                        Hmmm...it's tempting for me to check into Anthem if that's the case.

Granted there is the small issue of needing to gather up a reliable crew of buddies who want to do the co-op stuff...and there's the small matter of still having other games on the backlog I probably shouldn't be keeping waiting. >_>
                        If you do decide to play and do so on PS4, feel free to send me an invite any time!

Full disclosure, it has its fair share of technical issues. I’m hearing that these have improved in the release build, but the user experience is still in need of some TLC. I’m sure they’ll continue to improve on this as time goes on, though.

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                        (Meanwhile, I'm counting down how long it'll take before the live-service-hatedom-of-gaming tear it apart completely...although it seems like they've already started on its cosmetic microtransactions being too pricy...)
                        Oh, they’ve been all over it for a while already. And the defenders have been making excuses for things that are totally legitimate to criticize. As usual, the reality lies somewhere between the hypedom’s pipe dreams and the hatedom’s doomsaying.

Re: micro transactions, fears about it have been largely overblown. No lootboxes, all-cosmetic, and everything can be bought with in-game currency. Still too early to say if the earn rates are good enough that purchasing cosmetics with in-game currency to be reasonable long-term, but at least the cash prices seem pretty fair. Shards are roughly $1 for 100, with extra shards for larger purchases. A “skin” costs 850 shards, so kind of $8.50, but because you have to buy shards in packs, the least you can actually spend on a skin is $10 and you’ll have 250 shards left over, which is almost enough to buy something smaller like an emote. Pretty standard stuff, honestly.

What’s really nice is that a “skin” is really a pack of multiple modular armor pieces you can mix and match freely with any other armor pieces you own. You can also buy different materials to texture the different sections of your armor, and you have access to the full color wheel for any section of your armor for free. So, there’s a ton of customizability even with little to no additional purchases. I plan to spend the free currency on armor materials whenever I can, cause I think I’ll be able to get more mileage out of them for less.

Though that brings me to my big issue with their MTX model - it’s a highly limited, rotating selection. 6 items available at a time, on a 10-day rotation. Personally, I still find that to be a pretty manipulative sales tactic, even if it’s less bad than loot boxes. Currently there are 2 armor packs, 2 armor materials, 1 emote and 1 vinyl are in the store, but who knows what will be in there when it rotates, or when the current options might come back around again.

Comment

I was thinking of what you said about Knight Errants. Throughout the game some people stop calling them Freelancers and start calling them lancers. A little looking in and sure enough the origin of the word freelancer is based around knights who would take positions where the money is highest (I probably should have known that). I'm not sure I'm getting paid much in game but yeah it definitely seems to be more of a Champion caste than mercenaries.
                          Yep, the “lance” part originally referred to actual lances. As I understand it, in the game “lancer” is a general term for a Javelin pilot, and “Freelancers” specifically refers to the order of lancers who roam the world working for whoever pays. Sentinels are another order of lancers who work to defend settlements and are basically your city guard. And the Dominion... I’m not sure if they are all lancers or not, but they definitely have lancers. All three groups split off from the original Legion of Dawn after the death of Helena Tarsis.

I'll still probably go Colossus next. The Ranger just doesn't interest me and the Colossus seems like a nice alternative. I was hoping for more of a bulldozer-like gameplay for them rather than tanking so your review sounds pretty nice. The videos I saw covered the lack of a shield but didn't get much into other things, or how you were meant to be played, and seemed pretty theoretical about their powers.
                          Oh, cool! Hope you like it. Fair warning though, that review was mostly based on secondhand info, as I mostly played Interceptor during the demo (I tried all four a little, but barely played Colossus at all. But the folks who reported enjoying themselves the most with Colossi on reddit said that bulldozer style was the most effective way they found to play it.

Comment

Yep, the “lance” part originally referred to actual lances. As I understand it, in the game “lancer” is a general term for a Javelin pilot, and “Freelancers” specifically refers to the order of lancers who roam the world working for whoever pays. Sentinels are another order of lancers who work to defend settlements and are basically your city guard. And the Dominion... I’m not sure if they are all lancers or not, but they definitely have lancers. All three groups split off from the original Legion of Dawn after the death of Helena Tarsis.
                            The Dominion seems to be a nation, to the north. But yeah they have javelin suited figures too.

Oh, cool! Hope you like it. Fair warning though, that review was mostly based on secondhand info, as I mostly played Interceptor during the demo (I tried all four a little, but barely played Colossus at all. But the folks who reported enjoying themselves the most with Colossi on reddit said that bulldozer style was the most effective way they found to play it.
                            Worse comes to worse I don't like it and keep playing the Interceptor, no biggie. Did my first Stronghold today, brutal stuff, and long, I suppose I should have been prepared for that but I haven't been in a dungeon or raid in a long time. Two Colossuses in it, too, they did pretty well.

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                            For me its books (I just finished three this week and still have too many more) but yeh. Though the matchmaking is pretty smooth in the game, and the missions are pretty easy to do with just pick up people if you need.

I think it's like 8 dollars for a full outfit for one javelin, they have two right now (and the next 10 days), a Ranger and a Colossus. There's an Emblem and emote and two textures. Though you can do a lot of customization with just the stuff you start with. Textures or patterns you seem to be able to buy cheaply enough with 'coin.'

Bugs and connection issues seem like more of a problem. I had a connection issue once when in town it starts this cinematic as some dude has a flashback, and I kept losing link from EA, which would just boot me out of the game. Tried it later and it went smoothly. In the free roam once I was finishing up a 'world event' and the last section of it just failed to load so it was hung giving me an order to interact with something that wasn't going to appear. There have been some other more minor things (I went through another entire world event just following the instructions, then afterward my cypher, Owen, starts doing his lines from it, like he should have done while it was going on but it just didn't play until later).
                            Last edited by nofather; 02-17-2019, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                              https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/21/18235072/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-retires-doug-bowser-president?fbclid=IwAR0bOzeXIr8eEQtj2sDu5XufijEm2ks XRqSIOHbeW-4hd1qCcMQzDpNmBa8"]Reggie Fils-Aime is retiring as Nintendo of America's president. Succeeded by Doug Bowser (yes that's his real name). [/URL]
                              I don’t really know how to feel about this beyond “haha, Bowser” because I have no idea what their job actually entails, and I know nothing about either person except the memes Reggie has been featured in.

Comment

Working...
                              X