No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So while doing research setting up a different game, I tangentially stumbled upon Bluebeard's Bride. Still not done reading it but...

Fuck. One of the most enthralling and horrific TRPGs I've come across...that I'm never going to be able to play or run.

Comment

• Just got back from MystiCon where I got to LARP with a lot of my fellow WoD fans in the areas of Roanoke and Staunton and I even got to meet Steve Jackson in person!

Long story short, Steve Jackson is an awesome dude and the LARP was very good and has inspired me to create an open-world play-by-post online campaign set in the Classic World of Darkness as it existed prior to V5 (and Revised, to a lesser extent)

Set in the hills and the hollers of Appalachia and spanning the great states of West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, this open-world online chronicle is titled Dante Mountain Darkness (named after Dante Mountain Road in Dickenson County, VA, the road where my childhood home was located along) and it's a multi-venue World of Darkness chronicle involving Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Mortals, and more!

Dante Mountain Darkness is an old-school throwback to the good ol' days of the 1990's and early 2000's!

It's more in line with the settings, themes, and atmosphere of 1e, 2e, and X20 than with the later parts of Revised or anything NuWW/Modiphius has put out for V5 (but you probably already knew that by now)

Dante Mountain Darkness is the Classic World of Darkness the way it used to be and the way we liked it!

Look for it on the play-by-post section of RPG Pub.

On another note, I've also been running a small Chronicles of Darkness game set in Miami during the 1990's. It's a small game and it's been slowed down due to MystiCon and my preparations for it. But now that I have returned home, I can resume work on the Miami CofD game and also Dante Mountain Darkness for WoD.

Comment

• Not sure how many of you are aware of this (I only found out a couple days ago), but Dragon Ball Heroes is finally coming out in the west. It's set to release on Twitch and Steam this April 5th.

Comment

• Does interactive fan fiction count as gaming?

Because I am planning on writing an online "Choose Your Own Adventure" story very soon, heavily inspired by a mix of George A. Romero zombie movies, Stephen King's The Stand, and old-school 90's shooter games (specifically stuff like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D, and their myriad clones and imitators of the time)

Comment

• I'm exploring the Resident Evil games. Some I play, some I watch Let's Plays. Shlocky horror, all of it.

Right now I'm playing Resident Evil 5 with co-op. It feels very primitive to me - in fact, if it weren't for co-op, I don't think I'd find it engaging enough to be worth dealing with the awkward controls. For some reason, I'm strongly reminded of arcade cabinet light-gun shooters.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Well shit.

Halo: Master Chief Collection is FINALLY coming to PC...although one at a time. It's going to be rolled out slowly one game each, starting with Halo: Reach. Still, fuckin' FINALLY.

Comment

• DMC5 really makes me wanna play Scion again, but my groups still waiting for physical copies before we start :/

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post
                  DMC5 really makes me wanna play Scion again, but my groups still waiting for physical copies before we start :/
                  Fate's wheels are a-grinding. The end of wait is in sight. I'm eagerly awaiting my hardcopies too!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• A new game in the Vampire: Bloodlines universe is coming soon. More news on the 21st.

And I could not be more excited!!!

The Final Frontier

Comment

• Currently designing my own OSR game inspired by Dracula and other classic horror monsters and I'm really excited.

it's intended to be an alternative to World of Darkness, and is explicitly focused on dark adventure, action-horror (not personal horror) and epic stories and campaigns. It is based on the mechanics of Swords & Wizardry, and is intended to work with Medieval, Victorian, and Modern settings.

Playable character classes include five human classes (Fighter, Mage, Cleric, Magical Girl, Ninja) and five supernatural classes (Vampire, Werewolf, Ghost, Elf, and Mummy)

It is a Gothic game in the literary sense, but not in the sense of the modern subculture and is firmly Anti-Punk.

Basically, I am tired of being told to play "Some Other Game" and there being no real alternative to World of Darkness.

After all, if you want something done your way, sometimes you have to do it yourself.

Comment

• Game developers: if you advertise your game to me and build hype through Steam (a service I've had zero issues with) for a year, and then two weeks before release you suddenly tell me "oopsie, we're actually only going let you buy or play the game through this other company despite their reputation for poor service, tee-hee", then I am going to feel like you were being intentionally dishonest with me. That diminishes my trust, which makes me less inclined to buy things from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cielle View Post
                          Game developers: if you advertise your game to me and build hype through Steam (a service I've had zero issues with) for a year, and then two weeks before release you suddenly tell me "oopsie, we're actually only going let you buy or play the game through this other company despite their reputation for poor service, tee-hee", then I am going to feel like you were being intentionally dishonest with me. That diminishes my trust, which makes me less inclined to buy things from you.
                          Who are you referring to, here?

As for me - I'm playing This is the Police 2. It's like This is the Police 1, but more mechanically complicated and you're forced into doing some pretty shady stuff very early on.

I have mixed feelings about the new tactical battle system. On the one hand, it's pretty satisfying to have 1-6 officers stealthily take down a gang many times their size. On the other, it's impossible to know what kind of situation you're going to face in a raid before you send officers there, which makes it troublesome to know who you should send.

And, like I did in the first game, I have a tendency to reload a day over and over again until I have it "right" to my satisfaction. This makes the game longer than I think it needs to be, but it's the only way I know to combat the unstable equilibrium the game has where small failures rapidly compound themselves into a crisis if you let them.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                            Who are you referring to, here?
                            The current controversies surrounding the EPIC Game Store.

Where they're swiping up PC games and turning them into timed exclusives, despite some of them being initially advertised for Steam. Games thus far include Metro: Exodus, The Outer Worlds, and now the PC version of Borderlands 3. People not liking having to move to a newer, more inferior service.

Comment

• I figured they were specifically referring to Phoenix Point, which seemed to make a point of being on Steam until they made a switch to Epic recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                                Where they're swiping up PC games and turning them into timed exclusives, despite some of them being initially advertised for Steam. Games thus far include Metro: Exodus, The Outer Worlds, and now the PC version of Borderlands 3. People not liking having to move to a newer, more inferior service.
                                Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                I figured they were specifically referring to Phoenix Point, which seemed to make a point of being on Steam until they made a switch to Epic recently.
                                I haven't used the Epic Game Store yet, but I expect I will because I backed Phoenix Point on Kickstarter and also want to play Hades, Borderlands 3, The Outer Worlds, and Metro Exodus.

I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, mostly because the other services I've used all have one of two problems:
                                1. They're shills for a specific publisher (e.g. Origin, UPlay).
                                2. They're bloated with games I have no interest in and the filtering system is only slightly better than nothing (Steam, Humble, GOG)

EGS doesn't have the first problem, and for now there aren't enough titles on it for the second problem to be a concern.

Comment

Working...
                                X