Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
    Battletoads was announced as 'in development' during last year's e3 ahowcase.
    Yeah, my mistake.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I finally got a controller for the PCs a couple months ago and been having fun with it and going back to games I struggled with on the keyboard, like Guacamelee. Not much new out that interests me, escaped Anthem before the proper release, Sekiro doesn't appeal at all. I'd normally be psyched about the new Borderlands but they've said they've cut short the story to focus on a ton of multiplayer stuff I couldn't care less for. Phoenix Point looked interesting but I always held off because I figured it would just be XCOM with different visuals.

If anyone liked Super Mario Maker and needs a fix before the release of part 2, Levelhead's on Steam and it really manages to offer a novel platformer experience with a fantastic level editor. My kid loves level editors in these games and he's really been enjoying it in the long wait for Super Mario Maker 2 or Geometry Dash's 2.2 update. The campaign mode is tougher than Mario Maker's, though, and needed to unlock the 'pieces' to fluff up the areas. There were some complaints about it on the Discord but they pointed out that most custom levels have been made with 20% of the unlockables. My kid's gotten pretty far and just unlocked a Winter effect, so I'm guessing much of the later stuff is visual effects rather than gameplay stuff.

Comment

• Alright, just getting this out of the way because otherwise EA's E3 2019 press conference has only the one thing that interests me...

Jedi Fallen Order looks cool. But, as usual...

Don't fuck this up, EA!!!

Comment

• ...aaand can't watch the streams for Microsoft or Bethesda due to work today.

Tell me all about it later, on who does/does not fuck up!!!

Comment

• I really wish CD Projekt wasn’t like, the actual worst. And I wish people cared enough to not give them money.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

• Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing. That's definitely a day one purchase for me. Other than that, I wasn't really impressed with Microsoft's e3 conference.

The Final Frontier

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                I really wish CD Projekt wasn’t like, the actual worst. And I wish people cared enough to not give them money.
                ...what, have they still not apologized sufficiently for the "accidentally" transphobic comments?

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing. That's definitely a day one purchase for me. Other than that, I wasn't really impressed with Microsoft's e3 conference.
                Betting time people, how long will it take before CDPR announces a delay for CP2077???

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

...what, have they still not apologized sufficiently for the "accidentally" transphobic comments?

Betting time people, how long will it take before CDPR announces a delay for CP2077???
                  “Sorry to those who were offended” is no apology at all, and given the rest of their track record wrt how they treat women or people of color (not to mention their reputation for terrible crunch), I can’t recommend supporting them at all.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

“Sorry to those who were offended” is no apology at all, and given the rest of their track record wrt how they treat women or people of color (not to mention their reputation for terrible crunch), I can’t recommend supporting them at all.
                    I agree with you, and probably won’t be buying any of their games, but on the subject of abusive practices like crunch, that’s unfortunately an industry-wide problem.

Comment

• The Bloodlines 2 trailer. Man, they've certainly got me excited.

Hopefully, we get some more news on Werewolf: Earthblood as well.

The Final Frontier

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                        I agree with you, and probably won’t be buying any of their games, but on the subject of abusive practices like crunch, that’s unfortunately an industry-wide problem.
                        That's fair. That said...

Frankly, I don't think crunch as a concept is ever going away.

With games tech increasingly getting more advanced and more complex, and the gaming public's ever growing thirst for "more" is going to prompt developers to throw more people and more manpower at it.

It's either that or every game ever is going to take more then a decade to get made.

------------------------------------------------------------
                        Ok just going to keep things brief then usual, since right now I don't have it in me to do the usual point-by-point breakdowns...

There not being live gameplay demos isn't surprising to me, consider how hard it is to get live demos up and running.

Microsoft

So their thing...was mostly just showing off a bunch of new trailers for a mix of games we already knew/didn't know about. The trailers of stuff we didn't know being cinematics. And the trailers for the stuff we already knew about...we just learn about their release dates/windows. Which in of itself isn't that bad.

Hell, even CP2077's one trailer only gave us the release date and...Keanu Reeves being in this game. Which I guess is something *still hasn't seen a single John Wick movie*.

Even the formal "announcement" for their next console...revealed absolutely nothing and might as well have been on the same level as the "mention" back in last year's conference.

It's not really bad, it's just very...clinical and not entertaining.

I'll take that over EA's usual snore of a press conference.
                        Last edited by tasti man LH; 06-10-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

That's fair. That said...

Frankly, I don't think crunch as a concept is ever going away.

With games tech increasingly getting more advanced and more complex, and the gaming public's ever growing thirst for "more" is going to prompt developers to throw more people and more manpower at it.

It's either that or every game ever is going to take more then a decade to get made.
                          You're not wrong. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            You're not wrong. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism.
                            I mean. What other alternative is there, aside from just canceling the entire AAA game industry?

Comment

• Evil Genius 2 was announced.

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                              I mean. What other alternative is there, aside from just canceling the entire AAA game industry?
                              Reasonable working hours and not relying on yearly releases (especially when all it seems to be doing is narrowing things down to the platonic ideal of mediocrity). Getting rid of 'crunch time' doesn't mean all games are going to take a decade to come out.
                              Last edited by nofather; 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Again, you’re not wrong. The industry needs reform and individual consumers just aren’t going to be able to bring that about.

I’m probably not making my point here clearly, which is that there’s no winning as an ethically-minded consumer, and at a certain point you just have to pick your battles. The crunch problem is unfortunately one that can’t be solved by individuals choosing not to support developers, so for me that’s a battle I’ve accepted as a loss. I still don’t want to support CDPR for other reasons, but yeah.

Comment

Working...
                                X