No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly don't know, I haven't had a chance to check out ROM yet, though looking it up, it seems like it could be fairly interesting. But since I just grabbed ME:A I'll probably at least wait until I finish that before trying out a new game.

And yeah, the Persona games are good ones for interacting with people like that. I'm looking forward to Persona 5. Persona 3 and 4 were great games, though the dungeon sequences tended to be a bit too grindy for my taste.

Comment

• The animation in ME:A is really, really bad. I've been hearing things about the animation team, lead animator, etc. that I hope isn't true. But I think I'm going to stay away from this game until it drops in price drastically, or until things are fixed up with a patch.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Fun part about Persona grind was the fact that the more you interacted with people, less you had to grind, because XP gained from Social Links was far superior than XP gained through grinding which was painfully slow. My friend picked up P3P for the first time lately and I made her play on the hardest available difficulty from the get go, she is pretty much clearing the dungeon twice in one sitting once per month with zero problems, stomping the story opponents too. But she is very efficient with her Social Links [she made a goddamn excel chart to do it in most optimal way], I think she might hit or be very near 100 social link completion by the end of the game.

AnubisXy, what is your opinion of the Torment? I really liked it and wouldn't mind more games like that, though I'm painfully aware how flawed as a actual game it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
          The animation in ME:A is really, really bad. I've been hearing things about the animation team, lead animator, etc. that I hope isn't true. But I think I'm going to stay away from this game until it drops in price drastically, or until things are fixed up with a patch.
          It's looking mediocre-to-rough on most fronts, but I'm buying it for the luxury of getting to roleplay being gay in space.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
            AnubisXy, what is your opinion of the Torment? I really liked it and wouldn't mind more games like that, though I'm painfully aware how flawed as a actual game it is.
            Overall I enjoyed the game, though it was definitely deeply flawed in a number of respects. I'd probably give it a 6.5 or so. In brief the storyline was a bit confusing and poorly put together, and the gameplay was terrible, but overall it hard some bright points.

This ended up going a bit long and includes some spoilers so -

So my complaints:
            On the storyline front, I felt they did a poor job of doing any actual explanation. Like, take the Tides. Clearly, they're kind of important - they're in the name of the game and the Sorrow is trying to kill you because of the Tides. But by the time I finished, I still didn't really know what they did, how they worked, or why they were bad. The best I could come up with was that it was like the Force from Star Wars, just if the Dark Side was the only side. It lets you do things. And it's bad. And the Sorrow was some kind of guardian created to kill people who used the Tides.

I'm sure that that there's supposed to be a lot more to it than that, but I was left a bit unsure as to exactly why using the Tides was such a bad thing. Other than the Slave Trader at the beginning, I never really saw anything I can remember that showed the Tides were particularly terrible, dangerous or evil, so it felt like kind of a surprise when it suddenly turned out that they were so terribly bad at the end.

Also, was there any point to the color of your Tide? I ended up with Blue/Gold but it didn't seem like that actually mattered at any point in the game. It felt like it was simply a visual reminder, "You've made a lot of Blue/Gold choices during the game," rather than something that had any kind of effect on the game. In retrospect it seems completely pointless.

The final conflict was shockingly bad. Having the spooky antagonist who's been trying to kill you for the whole game sit down for tea with you, so they can give you an info dump is terrible design and I was surprised that they ended up doing that. It didn't work and was poorly received when Bioware did the same thing at the end of Mass Effect 3, and I felt it really didn't work very well here either.

My biggest complaint though is that the gameplay was absolutely abysmal. There was never a single point in any Crisis where I thought, "This is fun," but there were a lot of points where I thought, "I could be doing something much more fun right now, like cleaning my house, weeding the yard or doing laundry."

In fact, every time I would see the word "Crisis" pop up on my screen, I'd have to take a deep breath to summon up the will to make my way through it. Combat was slow and painful, especially in any battle involving more than 3 enemies. During the Meil Avest Crisis for example, I would take my characters turns and then just alt-tab out, surf the internet, and then come back to the game five or so minutes later to take my next turns and do the same thing.

The only saving grace was that it was so easy to avoid Crises and skip combat entirely. Honestly, if I had had to slog through 12 or 13 Crisis I probably would just stopped playing the game entirely. But it was still bad enough that I don't see myself wanting to try for another playthrough until I've had time to forget how much I disliked the gameplay.

Finally I really wish the game had better music. While Planescape: Torment had a short sound track, many of the songs had a huge amount of personality. In contrast the music to this game was either bland and forgettable or simply non-existent.

That said however, there were parts of the story I enjoyed quite a bit. For my party I ended up taking along Erritis, Rhin and Matkina. I felt that Erritis had an absolutely fantastic storyline, easily one of the better companion stories I've come across. His arc through the game was wonderful, and I actually felt really glad when I had the opportunity to separate him from those nano-demons. Rhin also had a nice character arc - I ended up sending her back home and was surprised when she reappeared at the end. Again, another great arc.

Several of the individual quests were pretty good and I honestly ended up liking parts of the setting. The Dendra O'hur were pretty interesting. Inifere was interesting with his entire storyline.

The background artwork was nice, though I wish they had used more portraits for various the NPCs.

In the end I would sum up Numenera with the phase, "Wasted Potential." It absolutely had a ton of potential, some really great ideas, and a few amazing high points like Erritis and Rhin, but generally just didn't come together in a coherent way and managed to completely fuck up in a few really important and glaring ways.

I won't say I was overly disappointed by it, but I couldn't help but see how much better it could have been if they had approached things in a few different ways. Even just something simple like a stronger sound track could have gone a long way to improving my enjoyment of the game.
            Last edited by AnubisXy; 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Seeing what I have of Torment, I'm just exceptionally bitter that the old Infinity Engine teams never got the chance to make something on the level of Baldur's Gate or PS:T for some of the other amazing D&D settings like Dark Sun and Eberron. WotC is squandering their IP on a lot of fronts; I'd kill to see proper CRPGs from their stuff again.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

• Or you could go play Pillars of Eternity, which are basically Infinity Games but better.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

It's looking mediocre-to-rough on most fronts, but I'm buying it for the luxury of getting to roleplay being gay in space.
                  True that. And I'm positive the open world stuff will be fun. But...just kinda hard to justify spending 60 bucks on a new game with so many issues right now--especially as I'm sitting there with so many games I've yet to even unwrap.

Oh well. Back to Iron Fist.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Five hours into Song of the Deep. Not too easy, not too hard, and very pretty. I don't know why, but I think sea-based Metroidvania games are my favorite kind. They're comparatively relaxing.

I also want to give a shoutout to The Thrill of the Fight. Part of the reason I got into VR was to make gaming more physically active. Well, you don't get much more active than shadowboxing (at least until my Virtuix Omni arrives). I like to attach weights to my wrists to enhance the experience and sweat more.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• I'll give some Torment thoughts later, sorry for making Anubis post a large thing and me not responding to it.

Just dropped in to say that there are some Let's Plays of Andromeda hitting youtube already. Anyone on the fence might want to take a look.

Comment

• Andromeda is getting slaughtered critically, which is honestly what I expected. The game has seemed like a B- from the start and I've sort of made my peace with that; I feel that, much like Dragon Age: Inquisition, I'll enjoy it while I'm playing it and then not think much of it after.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

• I never managed to go past first act or something in Inqusition, and I was given the game for free by my friend who bought it on release and despaired.

Comment

• Spent the last couple of hours playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's not spectacular, but it seems fairly interesting so far.

The only major complaint I have is with the character creator. It's so primitive and limited compared to all of the other Mass Effect and Dragon Ages games. It just feels downright weird Mass Effect 1's character creator is a dozen times more robust than this game's. I was thinking of playing a female character, but unfortunately the only facial options for female characters are all one-hundred degrees of butt-ugly or another and there's not really anything I can do to change them. Funny enough, I've seen plenty of female characters in game, and so far all of them look anywhere from normal to fairly attractive. It's like they decided to stick all of the ugly faces in the character creator as a joke and then forgot about it.

The only one I felt was okay was the default one, and I was thinking of using it, but then I checked out the male models and they all look pretty decent. So I ended up going with a male character. Hopefully someone eventually creates a mod or editor that will allow people to better design their character's looks in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                              Spent the last couple of hours playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's not spectacular, but it seems fairly interesting so far.

The only major complaint I have is with the character creator. It's so primitive and limited compared to all of the other Mass Effect and Dragon Ages games. It just feels downright weird Mass Effect 1's character creator is a dozen times more robust than this game's. I was thinking of playing a female character, but unfortunately the only facial options for female characters are all one-hundred degrees of butt-ugly or another and there's not really anything I can do to change them. Funny enough, I've seen plenty of female characters in game, and so far all of them look anywhere from normal to fairly attractive. It's like they decided to stick all of the ugly faces in the character creator as a joke and then forgot about it.

The only one I felt was okay was the default one, and I was thinking of using it, but then I checked out the male models and they all look pretty decent. So I ended up going with a male character. Hopefully someone eventually creates a mod or editor that will allow people to better design their character's looks in the future.
                              I actually managed to make a pretty cute femRyder, though it meant my dad looked nothing like me. Animations are definitely weird as has been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm really enjoying the ways combat feels so far and despite myself I'm genuinely curious about all this Remnant stuff.

The human squadmates are boring as sin, but my goodness does Vetra make this game worth it. And while Drack is a shameless retread of Wrex, I'm still loving him because hey, more krogan dad!

Overall not nearly as bad as I was afraid of, and if what everyone says about Eos being a slog before the game really gets fun than I'm excited to waste the next two days having fun in space.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

• One thing I like about this from what I heard is that they don't kill off the Ryder Sibling you don't play as. I always felt that Fallout 4 dropped a ball [it was a bad game in general anyway] with killing your spouse, instead of crippling them and making them your interface for managing outposts.

Comment

Working...
                                X