No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It might be because they've, for the most part, all winnowed it down to the stuff that 'works.' Similar to how most MMOs were the same as World of Warcraft, even if they offer different setups of class or a science fiction setting, because the staggered quest-to-occasional dungeon-to-endgame raid content works.

Yahtzee has been commenting on this for a long time, most recently in his review of Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which he called the 'ultimate archetype' of Ubisoft sandbox games.
    Last edited by nofather; 04-11-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
      It might be because they've, for the most part, all winnowed it down to the stuff that 'works.' Similar to how most MMOs were the same as World of Warcraft, even if they offer different setups of class or a science fiction setting, because the staggered quest-to-occasional dungeon-to-endgame raid content works.

Yahtzee has been commenting on this for a long time, most recently in his review of Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which he called the 'ultimate archetype' of Ubisoft sandbox games.
      I dunno, they're all so packed to the gills with stuff to do. BotW has tons of stuff unrelated to what I'm "supposed" to be doing. It's a big, breathing world. It's just also really melancholy, being post-apocalypse. The music is minimalist and a lot of it is just me looking at the (beautiful) scenery. And MGSV is kind of the same way: it's pretty and big and open with tons of stuff to do, and I'm not pressured into doing most of it if I don't want.

I just think I need some bombastic, colorful, linear action for a while.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
      Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

• I've been playing Space Fist. It's... well. Remember those lousy Japanese fighting games from the 90's? The ones with terrible voice acting, bad translation, and jiggling boobs everywhere? Space Fist is one of those, but for VR. It's an odd mix of exciting, frustrating, and unintentionally hilarious. Thrill of the Fight might be the better shadowboxing game, but this is still fun for the flailing and badly-done dialogue.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• BigDamnHero, I get what you're saying and have no issue with it. Rather, one of your comments reminds me of a detail of my own perspective.

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post
          It's just also really melancholy, being post-apocalypse.
          ​One thing that I get out of that is how, strictly speaking, the game is hardly less populated than any other Zelda game has been (barring the absence of a big, more heavily populated hub). That it places that detail in a story-based context is something I really like myself, because it takes a detail that has been common and makes it rather immersive.

​That and it provides a basis for me to find the side-characters a lot more endearing than I have in the past. In a few prior Zelda games, the people have come across as a bit oblivious, so for them to have a firmer awareness of the world they're in helps me like them more.

​Plus how, even if there are few of them and their situation is not the best, they've still got their lives and loves and aspirations going on.

​I'm not saying you're incorrect or anything, I just wanted to convey my perspective, because it's part of what has made the game so enjoyable for me.

​Plus, seeing some random thing off in the landscape and chasing after it has a tendency to lead me on little adventures. "Oh, what's up with that ruined tower off in the distance?" Get into an altercation with a flying death machine that has me caught in a few explosions sending me tumbling halfway down a cliff, where I get stuck for a few minutes once it starts raining. "I'm gonna go gliding down to that shrine I can see from on top of this mountain". I find a new stable, get informed of where a local point of interest is, and while searching for it I have a tussle with an evil lion centaur who kills my favourite horse, for which I take swift revenge. Every time I play, there's something a bit different.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            BigDamnHero, I get what you're saying and have no issue with it. Rather, one of your comments reminds me of a detail of my own perspective.

​One thing that I get out of that is how, strictly speaking, the game is hardly less populated than any other Zelda game has been (barring the absence of a big, more heavily populated hub). That it places that detail in a story-based context is something I really like myself, because it takes a detail that has been common and makes it rather immersive.

​That and it provides a basis for me to find the side-characters a lot more endearing than I have in the past. In a few prior Zelda games, the people have come across as a bit oblivious, so for them to have a firmer awareness of the world they're in helps me like them more.

​Plus how, even if there are few of them and their situation is not the best, they've still got their lives and loves and aspirations going on.

​I'm not saying you're incorrect or anything, I just wanted to convey my perspective, because it's part of what has made the game so enjoyable for me.

​Plus, seeing some random thing off in the landscape and chasing after it has a tendency to lead me on little adventures. "Oh, what's up with that ruined tower off in the distance?" Get into an altercation with a flying death machine that has me caught in a few explosions sending me tumbling halfway down a cliff, where I get stuck for a few minutes once it starts raining. "I'm gonna go gliding down to that shrine I can see from on top of this mountain". I find a new stable, get informed of where a local point of interest is, and while searching for it I have a tussle with an evil lion centaur who kills my favourite horse, for which I take swift revenge. Every time I play, there's something a bit different.
            Oh don't get me wrong, I love the game. I adore the game! But after a while I need to step away from the beautiful, immersive, post-apocalyptic Hylian landscape and...apparently go into Cold War-era Afghanistan and Angola and get caught between proxy wars, child soldiers, and awful experiments?

I need to play something happier.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
            Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings

Comment

• Firing up Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition. Mostly out of curiosity for its' reputation of "best computer RPG EVAH".

And right off the bat...yeah, the banter/shit-talking between the Nameless One and Morte is great.

Although upon further research, when it comes to the introductory Mortuary section, I apparently took the much more straightforward and uninteresting "kill everything that moves" option when I could have gone for the "meet up with a disguised spy, disguise self as a zombie, and talk way out of Mortuary" option. Oh well, that's what additional play-throughs are for.

Comment

• I hope you enjoy it. Planescape Torment is probably my favorite video game of all time. Even now I don't feel that any other game has really come close to it as far as the storyline goes.

And yes, one thing you'll discover is that there are often a lot of different ways to solve puzzles, some of them really surprising and the sort of thing you wouldn't be expecting. You can't quite talk yourself out of every fight, but other than the random encounters you can very often figure out ways to avoid most of the pre-set fights.

I'd recommend maybe maxing the Nameless One's Wisdom out. High wisdom gives you bonus experience points, which means you level faster. You should probably start at Wisdom 18 so you can max it out (to 25) ASAP, regardless of which class you end up planning to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  Playing Persona 5 now. They really need more warning with the schedule like it is. It sucks renting a DVD and not being able to watch it and being charged with late fees. But I suppose jRPGs do lean a lot on FAQs.
                  Persona 5 is freaking fantastic. I just finished it last night. It's easily the best Persona game in my opinion. It manages to take the darkness and seriousness of Persona 3, but balances it nicely with the more comedic and upbeat focus of Persona 4. I found 3 was good, but too depressing. And 4 was fun too, but it seemed to lack a sense of seriousness and danger except at a few moments - my brother's called it, "Scooby Doo Mystery: The Game" and that wasn't a bad way to put it.

Persona 5 however feels like the definitive Persona game, with everything I wanted, even some nice Easter eggs to some of the previous Persona games.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post
                    I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V and Breath of the Wild, and loving both. But at some point all of these open world games are starting to feel...I dunno, empty? I need some faster paced games. Maybe I'll fire up Bayonetta 2, haven't played that one yet...
                    I often find myself in the same boat with many large, open world games. So much of the content just feels fairly extraneous to me. Sure I could spend 5 minutes going over to this place ,and getting a fetch quest and then taking another 5 or 10 minutes to finish it, but why would I want to? I often feel no real sense of accomplishment from completing those kinds of side quests, so unless a quest has a particular important reward I don't really feel any pressure to do it. Ultimately none of it really feels like it matters all that much to me.

One of the few really open world games I played where I went through and did everything was Fallout 3, and then only because I was playing an evil SOB and I enjoyed hearing Three Dog talk shit about my character on the radio. Every time I'd finish a side quest, I'd get excited to hear about what he might say next. But absent that, I suspect I probably would have just done some side quests and then finished the game and not looked back, which is usually how I play most open world games.

Comment

• Picked up Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 since they were on sale for 30 bucks as a set. Going through UA and man, this game is longer than I remember.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                        why would I want to? I often feel no real sense of accomplishment from completing those kinds of side quests, so unless a quest has a particular important reward I don't really feel any pressure to do it.
                        ​In Breath of the Wild, the reward is often money.

This being a game in which neither money nor arrows can be found by just cutting long grass, so one actually needs a steady income of it.

​I don't think there's yet been a sidequest that just consisted of a simple fetch quest, mind.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​In Breath of the Wild, the reward is often money.

This being a game in which neither money nor arrows can be found by just cutting long grass, so one actually needs a steady income of it.

​I don't think there's yet been a sidequest that just consisted of a simple fetch quest, mind.
                          I don't know if I would hold up Breath of the Wild as an example of the typical open world RPG. If most open world RPGs operated like Breath of the Wild, I'd probably find I had a bit more of an incentive to do side quests and complete all of the content. Unfortunately most RPGs don't work like that, which has traditionally been my problem with them.

Comment

• Playing a co-op game of Total War: Warhammer. It's kind of funny how it works out - the map is so huge, my friend's and my respective empires have only just reached each other. We have only once combined armies in a battle. Most of the time, it's more like - "this half of the map is yours, and the other half is mine." We sometimes split duties in battles we don't auto-resolve, and we talk over strategy on off-turns. I believe I vastly prefer this to competitive multiplayer.
                            Last edited by semicasual; 04-16-2017, 09:45 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Dark Souls 3 (finally got the expansions), Bloodborne (same), EU4, Planescape: Torment, and (hopefully soon) Tyranny.

Comment

Working...
                              X