No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do wish to play Origins at some point, but one small thing that disappointed me about it was that I had hoped it would be set deeper in Egypt's past than it turned out to be.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Destiny 2 thoughts: the Raid isn’t fun for me, but it feels wasteful to not do such a major piece of content and I really want one piece of the armor set. Bugs me more than it should to feel like I’m missing out.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        Destiny 2 thoughts: the Raid isn’t fun for me, but it feels wasteful to not do such a major piece of content and I really want one piece of the armor set. Bugs me more than it should to feel like I’m missing out.
        Leviathin was a pretty lackluster raid. The one thing I really like about it, at least in concept, is the underbelly, but it was so under-utilized.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Leviathin was a pretty lackluster raid. The one thing I really like about it, at least in concept, is the underbelly, but it was so under-utilized.
          Someone called it "fucking Mario Party" and it made me laugh really hard. It just feels odd to play a game that's an RPG shooter and have to spend several hours doing puzzles, but maybe that's just me.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• I discovered Warframe. It's way better than what I expected.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
            Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Someone called it "fucking Mario Party" and it made me laugh really hard. It just feels odd to play a game that's an RPG shooter and have to spend several hours doing puzzles, but maybe that's just me.
              It felt much better in the Destiny 1 raids. Especially Vault of Glass, which had the most cohesive design of all the Destiny raids.

VoG was awesome because the puzzles were a novel concept for an FPS, but they still fit fairly natural within the context of an FPS. And more importantly, it taught you it’s puzzle mechanics in early encounters first, and then gradually built on them throughout the raid. The puzzles worked because they were unobtrusive, and the overall raid worked because it used a small number of puzzles in a variety of different situations with gradually increasing complexity.

The second raid, Crota’s End, was designed to be less of a puzzle challenge and more of a combat challenge. It also had a small number of fairly unobtrusive puzzle mechanics, but it didn’t build on them as much; instead, it ramped up the encounter difficulty with tougher enemies. This raid was not as well received and is generally considered the worst raid for its simplicity and short run time. Unfortunately, the designers took the wrong lesson from this, and the next raid had a LOT more puzzles, none of which really had any connection to each other.

Where Vault of Glass showed you how everything worked early on and upped the challenge by recombining it’s elements in more complex ways, King’s Fall was just a series of self-contained, unrelated puzzles, and the challenge came mostly from having to figure out exactly what the fuck you were supposed to do, mainly by trial and error.

Now, I never played Wrath of the Machine King, but Leviathin definitely seems to follow the King’s Fall model, where it’s just a series of completely unrelated puzzles. Only it’s also much shorter and with much less combat going on during the puzzle sections. It’s probably the worst of the four I’ve played.

Any one of the challenges could be expanded upon and a VoG-quality raid built using its mechanics. But Bungie seems to be of the mindset that more unique mechanics is better than more interesting ways to utilize a smaller number of mechanics.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 10-23-2017, 07:27 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                I discovered Warframe. It's way better than what I expected.
                Surprisingly but appropriately frenetic, good game. I understand they just added an open world-ish area?

PS+ had MGS: the Phantom Pain for free this month so I decided to finally bite the bullet. Very fun, very werewolf, not disappointed so far.

Comment

• Fuck me, I guess. I was gonna finally do the Raid... and then my PS4 decided I needed to reinstall Destiny 2 from scratch and is currently at 20% after four hours.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Surprisingly but appropriately frenetic, good game. I understand they just added an open world-ish area?

PS+ had MGS: the Phantom Pain for free this month so I decided to finally bite the bullet. Very fun, very werewolf, not disappointed so far.
                    So I heard, still in the first planets at the moment. But Amazon Prime had a promotion that allowed me to buy two characters (a poison gal and a parasyte/body horror guy) when combined with some lucky others, so I'm having fun with them without spending a dime.

The game was my "Destiny kinda looks cool but I don't think I'd like it by what I keep hearing and don't have money to spend either" option, but it's turning out to be a solid game instead of a mere replacement.

And yes, Phantom Pain is really werewolf, in a good way

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                    Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Fuck me, I guess. I was gonna finally do the Raid... and then my PS4 decided I needed to reinstall Destiny 2 from scratch and is currently at 20% after four hours.
                      You remember the days when you could just hop on down to your local video game store, buy a game, come back home and pop that sucker right in? No installation, no update, no nothing?

*Sigh* Those were the good ol' days. Sometimes nostalgia is correct.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post

You remember the days when you could just hop on down to your local video game store, buy a game, come back home and pop that sucker right in? No installation, no update, no nothing?

*Sigh* Those were the good ol' days. Sometimes nostalgia is correct.
                        That's one of the many things I've been enjoying about the Nintendo Switch; If I buy a game cartridge (which I do whenever its an option for a game, since the system's HD is tiny), I can just stick the thing in and start playing.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          Now, I never played Wrath of the Machine King
                          ~I haveee!!!~

So for starters: Wrath of the Machine is my personal favorite D1 raid.

I came in a bit later after D1's initial launch so I don't have quite the nostalgia for it that other Destiny fans have. Not that it isn't bad: it's actually pretty great. However, I always found it to have pacing issues, the key thing being the arena where the Templar encounter takes place. Seriously: you spend WAY too much time in that damn place. Crota's End's problems have been mentioned already. King's Fall, to me, had TOO much mechanics. Mechanics that require a LOT of precise timing and callouts, and often for 3-4 phases of damage to the boss. Which after a while, it just gets repetitive and tiring. Like, more then usual then your average D1 activity. It did have the best platforming sections, I feel.In general stuff like the platforming sections are great for easing off the tension that the team felt after going through a boss battle, and it's always nice to get some good-natured laughs as your teammates botch jumps or holding mock competitions to see who can reach the end of the platforming section.

Wrath of the Machine improves on all of that. It has the 1-2 mechanics running throughout the raid it iterates on and develops, that eventually culminates in the final boss fight. Unlike VoG, it does pace itself fairly well. In each area you are there as long as you need to be for each major encounter and never overstays its welcome. We even have the one different and experimental encounter with the Siege Engine/Death Zamboni fight.

Even better, this raid emphasized team play and player involvement more then the other raids. Since a smaller problem that the raids have had are "hero" roles: where a particular encounter calls for a player to take on specific roles in order to complete the encounter. Y'know, stuff like the "Relic-carrier", the "Sword Bearer", the "Aura Runner". The type of (relatively) high skill role that determines whether a raid encounter gets completed or not. It's also the type of thing that, if you do it wrong, and your team constantly yells at you for not doing it right at best, or at worst kicks you from the group. Meaning, that players who aren't familiar with the roles don't want to take them because they don't want that kind of pressure on them, and never volunteer to do so themselves.

Wrath of the Machine dispenses with that. Either the "roles" are in the loosest sense in that, barring Hard mode, you don't automatically fail the encounter if they go down. Or the encounters involve multiple roles so the big responsibilities are spread out among the whole team. Or it has mechanics that involve shifting the roles to other players. So overall, we have far less of the "hero roles" in Wrath of the Machine, less toxicity in raid groups, and where everyone gets to be a hero. Really great stuff.

Comment

• Currently replaying Fallout 4. This time I'm going for the Minutemen ending (last playthrough I went with the Brotherhood of Steel), and I'm also going to be planning a Play-by-Post campaign, most likely V20.

Comment

• Bluebeard's Bride is out and is a masterpiece. It's an incredibly dark, heavy game that tackles narratives of the myriad ways society crushes women, all told through a grim fairytale nightmare lens. It makes an amazing bit of Changeling inspiration.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• in what I've been referring to as the "Act 3" stage of a Vampire The Requiem Game set during 1986. additionally trying to figure out what will be played after it wraps up, and am leaning heavily on a starfinder game

Comment

Working...
                                X