Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

I really, really hope so. Hopefully to be followed shortly by Planescape.
    They also talk in the pannel about how they’re shifting to thinking about these various settings existing in a shared multiverse, so...

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Did you back Keith's Patreon? After his last post, I'm really tempted to buy Phoenix. And I really hope that those rumours of Eberron being the next campaign setting to be 5e'd are more substantiated than I think they are. Keith being able to publish again would be awesome, as would being able to toss my owm stuff on the DM's Guild.

(Although I think my dreams of freelancing for anyone in the RPG industry have finally been scuttled for good. Still, it would be a nice feather in the cap.)
      Do you back his Patreon, they ask. I’ve been filling the poor guy’s inbox with emails for years; of course I back it! I just asked him a little bit ago about the role of trans people in the Five Nations, and he gave me a lovely answer.

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

Have you listened to WotC’s State of the Industry pannel from Game Hole Con? They talk a fair bit about Eberron in it, though largely in the context of how they want to approach alternate settings in 5e in general. Apparently they want to shift away from settings focusing on places and more towards settings focusing on genre, so FR is their “standard D&D genre”, whereas for a hypothetical Eberron book, they would want it to focus on Eberron as “pulp D&D” or “Noir D&D”. Apparently they do have thoughts about how they want to handle Eberron specifically, but are looking closely at how they want to publish it - they don’t want to make an Eberron campaign guide and then a bunch of Eberron books that you need the campaign guide to use; rather, they would want each Eberron book to be usable even if you only have it and the core 3 Books.

Also, their next big plans for player options are the Mystic (Psion) and the Artificer. Two classes that are pretty important to Eberron. Could be a good sign?
      I did! I think there’s a chance we don’t see Eberron until 2019, which is crushing, but so be it. I don’t really care about new content; I just want Keith Baker on the DM’s Guild.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Do you back his Patreon, they ask. I’ve been filling the poor guy’s inbox with emails for years; of course I back it! I just asked him a little bit ago about the role of trans people in the Five Nations, and he gave me a lovely answer.
        Okay, fair, that was a stupid question. Where did he answer your question about trans people in Eberron? I didn't see that one.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        I did! I think there’s a chance we don’t see Eberron until 2019, which is crushing, but so be it. I don’t really care about new content; I just want Keith Baker on the DM’s Guild.
        Me too! I've bought almost nothing from WotC since they took Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo (barring pdfs of Eberron, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer, but that has all been recent). It's Keith's stuff I care about.

CofD booklists:
        Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Okay, fair, that was a stupid question. Where did he answer your question about trans people in Eberron? I didn't see that one.

Me too! I've bought almost nothing from WotC since they took Dungeon and Dragon away from Paizo (barring pdfs of Eberron, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer, but that has all been recent). It's Keith's stuff I care about.
          He answered it in a private email. I can gladly share it, but the gist of his answer was “in a world with demons and monsters, humans have more pressing things than to be racist, homophobic, or transphobic, and due to the variety of other cultures with nonstandard approaches to gender (kalashtar with different gendered Quori soirits than their physical bodies, Valenar elves embodying different-gender ancestors, the fluidity of changelings, and warforgd choosing their own genders are all called out as examples) the concept is well-known and not at all strange to the humans of the Five Nations.” Transition is as easy as a visit to the local Jorasco or Vadalis clinic for the proper potions.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

He answered it in a private email. I can gladly share it, but the gist of his answer was “in a world with demons and monsters, humans have more pressing things than to be racist, homophobic, or transphobic, and due to the variety of other cultures with nonstandard approaches to gender (kalashtar with different gendered Quori soirits than their physical bodies, Valenar elves embodying different-gender ancestors, the fluidity of changelings, and warforgd choosing their own genders are all called out as examples) the concept is well-known and not at all strange to the humans of the Five Nations.” Transition is as easy as a visit to the local Jorasco or Vadalis clinic for the proper potions.
            I love that man.

CofD booklists:

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Have you listened to WotC’s State of the Industry pannel from Game Hole Con? They talk a fair bit about Eberron in it, though largely in the context of how they want to approach alternate settings in 5e in general. Apparently they want to shift away from settings focusing on places and more towards settings focusing on genre, so FR is their “standard D&D genre”, whereas for a hypothetical Eberron book, they would want it to focus on Eberron as “pulp D&D” or “Noir D&D”.
              I never really liked Eberron much, I have to say (I like FR even less, though)... way, waay too high magic for my tastes and at the same time lacking the wuxia feeling of Exalted. Their idea of stressing the setting genre characterization is probably good, though, since it promises to offer more different experiences. My favourite D&D settings always were Dark Sun and Mystara... and I'm not sure I want to see a reprint of Mystara after what they did to DS in 4th ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post
                I never really liked Eberron much, I have to say (I like FR even less, though)... way, waay too high magic for my tastes and at the same time lacking the wuxia feeling of Exalted.
                I find Forgotten Realms and similar settings to be way too high-magic for my taste, but for me Eberron goes so high magic that it doesn’t bug me any more. It stops being a fantasy setting with too much magic and starts being an industrial punk setting with a charming fantasy spin.

Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post
                Their idea of stressing the setting genre characterization is probably good, though, since it promises to offer more different experiences. My favourite D&D settings always were Dark Sun and Mystara... and I'm not sure I want to see a reprint of Mystara after what they did to DS in 4th ed.
                I liked 4e’s take on Darksun. It was certainly different from classic Darksun, but it kind of had to be to work in 4th Edition. Much like 4e, you kind of have to evaluate it as its own thing, instead of a continuation of what came before it.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• I am checking out City of Mist, is like wod but without any pretension that it isnt a superhero game.

Between the art and the noir-tell-tale-game feel i am liking it. I have had a bad experience with narrative systems before (fate) but i will be testing the starter tonight.

Comment

• You know, there’s a lot of folks around here who play D&D, and out discussions of it occasionally drift beyond the scope of the “what games are you playing thread.” I don’t think it’s ever been a problem, but I do wonder if folks might appreciate a general D&D (and maybe Pathfinder) discussion thread here in off-topic?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                      You know, there’s a lot of folks around here who play D&D, and out discussions of it occasionally drift beyond the scope of the “what games are you playing thread.” I don’t think it’s ever been a problem, but I do wonder if folks might appreciate a general D&D (and maybe Pathfinder) discussion thread here in off-topic?
                      I would. I think I even tried to get an Eberron specific going at one point since I know there are a number of us here too.

CofD booklists:

Comment

• Oh my goodness that Destiny DLC livestream was so good.

Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
                        I am checking out City of Mist, is like wod but without any pretension that it isnt a superhero game.

Between the art and the noir-tell-tale-game feel i am liking it. I have had a bad experience with narrative systems before (fate) but i will be testing the starter tonight.
                        I adore Fate and PbtA both, so City of Mist was an absolute treat for me. One of the few games where the mechanics are what gets me excited.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Oh my goodness that Destiny DLC livestream was so good.
                          I adore Fate and PbtA both, so City of Mist was an absolute treat for me. One of the few games where the mechanics are what gets me excited.
                          We tried the starter yesterday, pretty good. I like that there is a defined structure for the uses of narrative gimmicks, better defined than Dresden Files RPG. My only issue was that some of the moves blend with others so its kinda but maybe its was me being the first time i run a PbtA game

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post

We tried the starter yesterday, pretty good. I like that there is a defined structure for the uses of narrative gimmicks, better defined than Dresden Files RPG. My only issue was that some of the moves blend with others so its kinda but maybe its was me being the first time i run a PbtA game
                            CoM needs some more refined Moves, I agree. Look to Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Urban Shadows, and especially Night Witches if you want to see the best the engine offers.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Eclipse Phase 2e delayed until April 2018, because apparently nobody in tabletop is physically capable of hitting a release date.

I was already unhappy with the new edition and this certainly doesn’t help.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Eclipse Phase 2e delayed until April 2018, because apparently nobody in tabletop is physically capable of hitting a release date.

I was already unhappy with the new edition and this certainly doesn’t help.

May i ask what are you unhappy with in the new edition?

I read the first edition book out of interest and i remember that there was things i liked alot (the transhuman aspects) and things i disliked alot (mainly the mechanics and everything about the jovian junta). Then i heard there was a 2nd edition in the work so i gave myself a mental note to check when its out.

Comment

Working...
                                X