No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The upcoming Monster Hunter has a beta available on the PS4.

Very cool what they've done with it. Very werewolf (using scout flies to represent heightened senses while tracking). Apparently it's been a big series in Japan that has had a hard time really selling itself to the west. I think part of that might've been the holding on to older styles of play. Basically you're sent into an area made up of several interconnected rooms, and there's a load time between each room and sometimes fights take you through them as the monster flees or knocks you into other areas. That kind of break-up of gameplay isn't popular here. But the new one has the area as one 'open' spot, basically connecting the rooms. Realistically any modern gen machine should be able to handle that, I'm not sure why it's taken Capcom so long to adapt, or if they just didn't want to bother.

It was just a beta hunt but the graphics were cool, attacking is cool. They could use work on collision, and the monster was fairly easy, though it could just be dimmed down for the beta and they prepare you with fairly good weapons and gear.

Now all we need is more monstrous and magical enemies, claw weapons and jaw weapons.
    Last edited by nofather; 12-09-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Anyone here ever played one of these Legacy boardgames? I'm particularly interested in Seafall Legacy. The thing is, the destructive gimmick makes me wary of spending on it (keep in mind the expense is proportionally quite higher here in Brazil, where the game is more expensive and salaries are lower than the US).

Is the campaign worth playing just once? Is the baseline, non-legacy Seafall game fun enough (since after ending the campaign you can still use the Legacy version as a very close approximation of the base game)? Would going through all the effort to preserve all the components in order to keep the campaign playable multiple times be something that detracts from the experience?

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• I'm a few hours into Pyre. All supergiant games are stylish, but this one really defies description.

It's like... kind of a sports RPG, where you control a team of (international) football players who are all exiles in a surreal wasteland, which is somewhere in between a Moebius landscape and a Salvadore Dali painting. Only it's not football, it's a Rite to prove your worth before the heavens. And your characters leveling up shows means they're gaining enlightenment. And most of them aren't even human - we've got some kind of talking dog, a giant horned demon-woman, a self-destructing imp, and probably I'm going to add some other outlandish creatures to the roster before the game is through (I've played against nagas, and worm people, for instance).

And, like other supergiant games, there's a narrator. This one only gives commentary during the games - sorry, RITES - mostly to tell you how much you suck.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Started up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the other day, and can barely put it down. Having great fun, even though said fun includes laughing at character's over-the-top outfits, every participant constantly yelling things in battle, and the voice acting not being poorly done but leaving me wondering things like "...but why doesn't she have a vaguely Irish or Scottish accent like everyone else?"

Also played the 9 Parchments demo with the wife and one of our buddies last night and felt the game was worth the purchase. It's got this fun little effect where multiple characters with beam-type spells can fire them into each other and the resulting combined beam will be significantly stronger. Hoping to get more opportunity to play it soon (though our unfinished play-through of Diablo III is likely to make that difficult).

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post
            Anyone here ever played one of these Legacy boardgames? I'm particularly interested in Seafall Legacy. The thing is, the destructive gimmick makes me wary of spending on it (keep in mind the expense is proportionally quite higher here in Brazil, where the game is more expensive and salaries are lower than the US).

Is the campaign worth playing just once? Is the baseline, non-legacy Seafall game fun enough (since after ending the campaign you can still use the Legacy version as a very close approximation of the base game)? Would going through all the effort to preserve all the components in order to keep the campaign playable multiple times be something that detracts from the experience?
            Not Seafall, but I'm playing Gloomhaven right now.
            While you could technically play the game only as random missions I don't think it would be much fun. The best thing in Heroquest was to me the progression of your heroes across the story, mission to mission and I'm finding the same appeal in Gloomhaven, with the bonus of a world that changes depending on your actions. Missions unlock, governments change, factions gain or lose power depending on what you do; your next character will be stronger because the city is richer, will have more items to pick from and the action cards you powered up in the previous runs with the class will stay powered up.
            It may work even better with multi-parties: each group will find the world slightly changed after the other one passed by, as if it were a true evolving world where not everything depends on you.

That said, I don't appreciate too much the idea of expendability of the Legacy components: stickers to put on, markers to colour boxes... I just don't see the appeal in non-reusable materials. Yes, maybe we'll need two years to clear up the whole game and by then there will be the expansion pack with two more years, but what if I want to play it again with my kids, on a different campaign? I'll need a new map, new stickers and new materials in general... yes, there's full of people making those right now, but who knows how things will be in five years.

I don't know if you could play Gloomhaven without the Legacy material, though: if you don't upgrade the cards then money will stop being important after the first five battles, and choosing what to do in the story will open up new events (to shuffle in the deck) and new quests, barring others forever. Maybe Seafall works differently though.

Comment

• I’ve kinda lost all hope that Bioware can make good stuff anymore, but I do hope we get one more Dragon Age game before the end.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• i think they could if they separated from EA, but honestly i don't know enough about that situation to know if that's even possible

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  I’ve kinda lost all hope that Bioware can make good stuff anymore, but I do hope we get one more Dragon Age game before the end.
                  This comment confuses me. I have a lot of complaints about their most recent releases (I have a screed about ME: Andromeda in this thread somewhere), but even so I can appreciate the qualities they have, if for no other reason than for the sheer amount of resources poured into them. Despite their problems, I liked those games and would recommend them to others.

What, in your opinion, makes current Bioware offerings not "good" compared to their earlier work?

What non-Bioware games are particularly "bad" and why?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Holy fuck! Super Mario Odyssey! I've been playing since Six Golden Coins this game has both smashed my nostalgia button and been completely original at the same time. Might be the best Mario I've ever played and only got it six hours ago.

People, I have zero regrets about getting a Switch instead of an Xbox One. Nintendo is back in a huge way.

CofD booklists:
                    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• My wife is liking Breath of the Wild a lot. I think the Switch was a solid get but it will be a while before it has the breadth of games the Xbox has. It does look like they're coming out with some good ones, though.

Comment

• Those who know me around here are probably aware that, cosmic horror aside, I have plenty of love for things like mythology of all sorts, Jungian theories about archetypes and shadows, literature and Gnosticism.

I also finally picked up Persona 5, not knowing what the game was actually about (a friend suggested it to me)

It's been...a pleasant surprise, as those who know the series can imagine. Words fail to describe how much that game is a perfect match with me
                        Last edited by Cinder; 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

I'm often afraid I might say something wrong and look bad. Not dismissive, just anxious

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                          Those who know me around here are probably aware that, cosmic horror aside, I have plenty of love for things like mythology of all sorts, Jungian theories about archetypes and shadows, literature and Gnosticism.

I also finally picked up Persona 5, not knowing what the game was actually about (a friend suggested it to me)

It's been...a pleasant surprise, as those who know the series can immagine. Words fail to describe how much that game is a perfect match with me
                          If only Atlus could do queer representation.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

If only Atlus could do queer representation.
                            If what people suspect is going on with the Catherine remake and the new character, I hope, HOPE it'd be done you know... better. I have the feeling sometimes that Atlus is very Japanese old school in some ways. But I can pray they surprise us.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

• Originally posted by haren View Post

If what people suspect is going on with the Catherine remake and the new character, I hope, HOPE it'd be done you know... better. I have the feeling sometimes that Atlus is very Japanese old school in some ways. But I can pray they surprise us.
                              I mean, they handled the trans character who was already in Catherine the first time around like shit, so...

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

I mean, they handled the trans character who was already in Catherine the first time around like shit, so...
                                I know, but I can hope they maybe... I dunno, grew up a little? I've never played the game, but I heard about that. It's... probably a futile hope, but it's still one I have. I figure having little hopes that MIGHT happen are nice companions for the ones where I'm fairly sure they won't happen.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

Working...
                                X