No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HATE seems interesting. CMON's done some really neat stuff with some pretty beautiful figures. I'll have to check out this graphic novel it's based off of.

Comment

• Going to be definitely running a Vampire: The Masquerade play by post campaign set in 1990's Chicago using the First Edition style and setting. Just unsure of two things, though.

First, should I use the authentic 1E rules or the V20 rules with the 1E setting? (I own both corebooks, BTW)

Second, should I host the game here or on RPG Pub?

Comment

• I'm gonna be running a Beast: The Primordial game soon set during The Troubles in Northern Ireland (starting just after Bloody Sunday, February 1972). It's been a while on my end but we're finally gonna be starting within the month. Very exciting.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
        He/him pronouns, please

Comment

• I'm playing through Paradigm with a friend and.... well. It's not the weirdest adventure game I've ever played (that would be Jazzpunk), but it's up there. You know you're in for a wild ride when you walk out your front door and the first thing you see is a beatboxing eggplant.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Do you know how the DLCs have been? The mechanic and plot-injecting ones, I mean, not just the images.

Aaaaand speaking of yet more Stellaris DLC!

Comment

• Next Dead by Daylight killer will be Jigsaw from the Saw franchise. Probably in his Pig Mask appearance since a puppet on a trycicle is not exactly a menace. We're all trying to figure out how they'll implement his theme into the game.

Don't know how I feel about this. I'm not a Saw fan but that's not the issue: I like their original killers and while I love having licensed ones the last three were all taken from a movie. Freddie Kruger himself was a huge disappointment because he started weak but with some annoying mechanics that people did not bother to learn to play against before demanding a nerf. The result is that the icon of Nightmare is basically a joke in the community because of how weak he is.

Licensed killers are good because they bring people into the game and is undeniably cool to have them together, but I'm hoping that we can get some balance between them and originals in the future. I play tons of Michael Myers and Leatherface but I have to say each of the original killers is an awesome character.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

I'm often afraid I might say something wrong and look bad. Not dismissive, just anxious

Comment

• I tried Dead by Daylight, but I can't say I was a fan.

I find the usually compared Friday the 13th to be the far, FAR better slasher game.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• We've been snowed in all week so not much to do. Our mage game is one session from ending. In the meantime I've finally installed Dark Souls 2 and am plinking away with my giant fucking hammer that kills the lesser people in one shot. Very werewolf game, once you get into things. But they all are. Giving me ideas of running new werewolf game in some parallel world with fantasy rpg trappings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                    I tried Dead by Daylight, but I can't say I was a fan.

I find the usually compared Friday the 13th to be the far, FAR better slasher game.
                    For me it was the opposite. Really wanted to like Friday as much as I like DbD but while I don't think it's bad I vastly prefer the other.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    We've been snowed in all week so not much to do. Our mage game is one session from ending. In the meantime I've finally installed Dark Souls 2 and am plinking away with my giant fucking hammer that kills the lesser people in one shot. Very werewolf game, once you get into things. But they all are. Giving me ideas of running new werewolf game in some parallel world with fantasy rpg trappings.
                    I did a Dark Fantasy Forsaken once, it works really well. Though my weirdest one yet has to be that one shot crossover between Apocalypse/Warhammer 40K because I can't let down the idea Garou and Space Marines have too much in common (and that the two games have stylistical common ground)

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

I'm often afraid I might say something wrong and look bad. Not dismissive, just anxious

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      The new Adventure Zone arc has them playing Monster of the Week, and while I’m not the hugest TAZ fan, I’m super stoked to see PbtA possibly have a big break. Apparently after they did FATE that game had a huge surge in popularity.
                      So, I've been listening to this, and I've never played any PbtA games, but this seems interesting. There are certainly aspects of what I'm hearing that appeal to me. One thing I'm left wondering though is that it seems like a significant majority of the rolls being made are Act Under Pressure. Which makes sense to me - In other systems I've run I never call for dice rolls unless the character is acting and there is pressure on them, so it makes sense to me that an action by that name would be used pretty frequently. But it does seem like Act Under Pressure is objectively the most useful thing to invest in when building a character. For anyone who has run Monster of the Week or PbtA before, is this the case, or Is it just the way Griffin is running it? Or am I missing something due to not having actually used this system before?

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I've been thinking about resuming Final Fantasy XV. It's a good game but I still have yet to finish it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          So, I've been listening to this, and I've never played any PbtA games, but this seems interesting. There are certainly aspects of what I'm hearing that appeal to me. One thing I'm left wondering though is that it seems like a significant majority of the rolls being made are Act Under Pressure. Which makes sense to me - In other systems I've run I never call for dice rolls unless the character is acting and there is pressure on them, so it makes sense to me that an action by that name would be used pretty frequently. But it does seem like Act Under Pressure is objectively the most useful thing to invest in when building a character. For anyone who has run Monster of the Week or PbtA before, is this the case, or Is it just the way Griffin is running it? Or am I missing something due to not having actually used this system before?
                          I'll admit I haven't been paying the closest attention to the podcast, but that doesn't surprise me: Act Under Pressure is essentially the same thing as Apocalypse World's Act Under Fire, which is the Move for when you're doing anything that isn't covered by another Move, but failure is still possible and interesting. Do note that in PbtA, it's on players to act in the fiction in order to trigger their own Moves, but the TAZ crew are new to it and Griffin doesn't quite seem to get that it handles differently than DMing (you're supposed to be more pulled-back and reactive, improvising interestingly to the fiction being driven by your players - MotW stumbles at this a little bit, which is why it isn't one of my favorite games in the PbtA space), so it's a little messy.

Talking about what it's useful to invest in for a PbtA character is a little silly, though; there's only four Stats in most games (MotW has five), and the range on those is usually between -1 and +2 at character creation. The system as a whole isn't really the sort of thing you can or need to optimize in.

If you want to explore PbtA any further, I'd probably point you towards either Apocalypse World 2e (the game that started it all, but with some very helpful revisions learned over the years) or Monsterhearts 2 (the first major PbtA game after the original, but again revised), as both are probably the most elegant examples out there. I'd also heartily suggest Night Witches and Bluebeard's Bride, which are both masterpieces of design, but they have very narrow premises.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• As an aside: oh my god I got to run Night Witches and I never, ever thought I'd have the chance to. It was a delight.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              I'll admit I haven't been paying the closest attention to the podcast, but that doesn't surprise me: Act Under Pressure is essentially the same thing as Apocalypse World's Act Under Fire, which is the Move for when you're doing anything that isn't covered by another Move, but failure is still possible and interesting. Do note that in PbtA, it's on players to act in the fiction in order to trigger their own Moves, but the TAZ crew are new to it and Griffin doesn't quite seem to get that it handles differently than DMing (you're supposed to be more pulled-back and reactive, improvising interestingly to the fiction being driven by your players - MotW stumbles at this a little bit, which is why it isn't one of my favorite games in the PbtA space), so it's a little messy.
                              So, this is an interesting point. In the first episode of this mini-arc, Griffin mentioned something along these lines - that the players don’t declare Moves, they just describe what their characters are doing in the fiction and the Keeper calls for Moves to resolve those actions as necessary. Which, of course, the McElroys aren’t really doing, but that’s understandable since they’re all new to the system. Anyway, Griffin presented this as a contrast to D&D, which I found kind of puzzling, as that’s exactly how I run D&D (just replace “Move” with “Ability Check”). So, for someone who already runs other games this way, what else about PbtA makes it stand out from other games? I gather there isn’t anything like Initiative, which I find very cool.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              Talking about what it's useful to invest in for a PbtA character is a little silly, though; there's only four Stats in most games (MotW has five), and the range on those is usually between -1 and +2 at character creation.

The system as a whole isn't really the sort of thing you can or need to optimize in.
                              So does this mean players have a fairly limited ability to mechanically differentiate one character from another? Or does customization generally come through in ways other than those four/five stats?

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              If you want to explore PbtA any further, I'd probably point you towards either Apocalypse World 2e (the game that started it all, but with some very helpful revisions learned over the years) or Monsterhearts 2 (the first major PbtA game after the original, but again revised), as both are probably the most elegant examples out there. I'd also heartily suggest Night Witches and Bluebeard's Bride, which are both masterpieces of design, but they have very narrow premises.
                              I’ll definitely take note of those as games to look into. I don’t know if I’ll run them, but I’m interested in their design.

Is Dungeon World any good?
                              Last edited by Charlaquin; 01-26-2018, 02:38 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Formatting is gonna be funky because I’m on mobile, @Charlaquin

“So, for someone who already runs other games this way, what else about PbtA makes it stand out from other games? I gather there isn’t anything like Initiative, which I find very cool.”

All the varied games are billed as rules-lite and fiction forward, and ease of play is pretty stellar: all the Moves in the game usually fit on one side of a sheet of paper, and that’s as much rules familiarity as the players really need. Each game has a class system of “playbooks,” which are usually thematically-narrow roles, and character creation usually consists of grabbing a playbook you like the look of, assignign your stats, choosing one ability off the list, and you're ready to go. The whole point of most games (the good ones, anyway) is that every Move and ever playbook hammers home the core themes and genre of the game, which combines with the light nature of the rules means that most of the game is improvisational narrative and roleplay until you hit something dramatic enough for the rules to cause some sparks to fly.

Probably my favorite thing about PbtA is how simple it makes running the game. The MC never rolls dice, ever, in any of the games, and instead has a list of Moves of their own that act as prepackaged bits of narrative. Your role is to be reactive to the players: the core principles are “the game is a conversation” and “play to find out what happens,” so little prep and lots of improv.

“So does this mean players have a fairly limited ability to mechanically differentiate one character from another? Or does customization generally come through in ways other than those four/five stats?”

Like I mentioned above, the playbooks are all very distinct and somewhat narrow. The Vampire and the Ghoul are going to feel very different in a Monsterhearts game even if they both have high Cold stats. Almost every single PbtA game has its playbooks up for free: Monster of the Week’s are up on Evil Hat’s website, though again, I personally think MotW isn’t a stellar example of PbtA design.

“Is Dungeon World any good?”

Hoooo boy is that a landmine. A lot of people adore it and swear by it; it’s easily the most popular one, The problem is that it tries to be a midpoint betwen D&D and PbtA, which means it doesn’t quite have the same focus as other games and inherits a lot of D&D baggage that IMHO hurts it as a whole. I think it’s useful as a tool to try and get D&D players a little out of their comfort zones, but I’m not a fan.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Working...
                                X