No announcement yet.

Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently getting into Twilight 2000 as a concept, and I'm planning on purchasing a copy of the 1st Edition rules off of Amazon in the very near future.

The game is very much a product of 1980's Cold War fears, but to me that's part of the charm. If I were to ever GM a game of it, I'd use the original setting assumptions and just call it an Alternate History scenario.
    Last edited by Camilla; 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Just popped in Monster Hunter World. Total MH newbie, going in basically blind, and so far it has been positively delightful. Character creation was fantastic. Palico(s?) are adorable. I like how expressive the characters are. Everything about this is great so far, I hope this holds up after the tutorial.

EDIT: Ok, after messing around for a bit, doing a couple missions, I’m really enjoying it. It is a little overwhelming - there’s a ton of UI, none of which is particularly forthcoming about what the heck it means, and it seems like there’s a lot to take into account regarding crafting, upgrading, etc - I don’t know what upgrade paths to take or what materials I should be keeping and what I should be selling. But that’s nothing new, I always feel that way about video game crafting systems, and I imagine I’ll get the hang of this one after messing around with it for a while, like I always do. The game is so charming, and the hunting so fun that it seems well worth the investment to learn. I know I’m not taking nearly enough advantage of my items and my slingshot thingy, but there’s already so much going on, I don’t have room in my brain for that right now.

I’ve been using dual blades so far, and I’m liking that a lot. I always got the impression that combat in Monster Hunter games was very slow-paced, with every attack being a big commitment with long, uncancelae wind-up and recovery animations. That was always unappealing to me as I usually like to just spam light attacks and dodge. The dual blades have been the opposite of what I had been expecting, very quick and reaction based rather than weighty and timing based. I love the demon mode that increases my attack speed and damage while draining my stamina, and with how quickly my stamina meter refills it feels great to switch in and out of demon mode, managing stamina and damage. While I feel like I should probably try out a few other styles before fully committing to this one, I don’t really expect to like anything else more than I am this. Although that spear-looking weapon did look pretty fun, vaulting around everywhere.

Sharpness might be my favorite weapon degradation mechanic I’ve seen in a video game. A simple meter to manage - do more damage when it’s high, do less when it’s low, drains when you hit stuff. And refilling it is as simple as activating the whetstone and waiting for a little animation to finish. It’s like reloading for melee weapons, I love it.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 01-31-2018, 04:16 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• So after doing some price-checking on Amazon, I've decided I will get the Second Edition rules of Twilight 2000 instead of the first edition, since those copies are much cheaper. I'm not sure if I should get Version 2.0 or 2.2, but whichever I can get for the best price is what I will get.

I'm going to an anime convention this weekend so I won't be able to order my copy of the T2K core book until after the convention. I'll be using the 1E setting assumptions with the 2E rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          I’ve been using dual blades so far, and I’m liking that a lot. I always got the impression that combat in Monster Hunter games was very slow-paced, with every attack being a big commitment with long, uncancelae wind-up and recovery animations. That was always unappealing to me as I usually like to just spam light attacks and dodge. The dual blades have been the opposite of what I had been expecting, very quick and reaction based rather than weighty and timing based. I love the demon mode that increases my attack speed and damage while draining my stamina, and with how quickly my stamina meter refills it feels great to switch in and out of demon mode, managing stamina and damage. While I feel like I should probably try out a few other styles before fully committing to this one, I don’t really expect to like anything else more than I am this. Although that spear-looking weapon did look pretty fun, vaulting around everywhere..
          I think the fastest weapons are dual blades, sword and shield, insect glaive (it has vaulting) and long sword. Insect glaive is probably trickiest, long sword the slowest (of the fast ones). While I was of the same mind starting out, I ended up really liking the hammer and switch axe.
          Last edited by nofather; 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
            I think the fastest weapons are dual blades, sword and shield, insect glaive (it has vaulting) and long sword. Insect glaive is probably trickiest, long sword the slowest (of the fast ones). While I was of the same mind starting out, I ended up really liking the hammer and switch axe.
            The insect glaive looks like a lot of fun, but more complicated to use. I’ll probably try it out once I’ve got a better feel for the flow of combat. Sword and shield might be worth testing, but if the shield is mostly for blocking, I won’t use it. My instinct is always to dodge rather than block. Longsword looks too slow for my taste.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• I'm midway through Battle Chef Brigade. I just love the premise for this game - long ago, monsters swarmed over the land, bringing a famine with them. And then some brave warriors with a little culinary curiosity thought, "Why don't we eat the monsters?"

And so we have a world where Iron Chef competitors have to hunt down their ingredients while they're still alive and kicking (or clawing, or biting, or breathing fire...). Sidescrolling hack 'n slash gameplay provides for the Hunt, while Cooking is managed mostly by variations on a match-3 game that represents combining flavors. All together it's rather fun and charming.
              Last edited by semicasual; 02-01-2018, 02:59 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• I just got to play Dream Askew and it was the most intense tabletop experience I’ve ever had. I’m in love with my character and want to see so much more of her.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• The Night Witches game I ran for my friend’s podcast is up!

https://insertquesthere.wordpress.co...mpression=true

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• Currently planning a campaign for my favorite RPG system, Big Eyes Small Mouth. Specifically the First Edition rules from the late 90's.

As an anime fan, I love the game a lot.

Comment

• The game's nowhere near being released yet, but the upcoming game for Warhammer 40.000, Wrath and Glory is looking to be... unfocussed. The previous five games were all highly focussed and specialized on one particular experience, but Wrath and Glory looks like it's going to throw that out of the window for something more generic. As for what we've seen of the system so far, it's moving from a percentile roll under system to... well, a bit like Vampire V but with six-sided dice.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                        The Night Witches game I ran for my friend’s podcast is up!

https://insertquesthere.wordpress.co...mpression=true

Just about done listening to it, been really enjoying it so far!

Edit: And done! Was really good, would toats listen to a series of ya'll playing through the rest of the war.
                        Last edited by ElvesofZion; 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

• I play battlefield 3 and assassin's creed black flag.

There is nothing permanent except change.
                          VeveGames.com

Comment

• Finished our second session of Dream Askew last night and I have to say, I’m not used to how intense play is; several of us wound up in tears at multiple points in play. One player described it to a friend as “a bunch of my gay friends sob into a microphone for three hours once a week,” and another said that the game needed aftercare.

I love it so much.

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

Just about done listening to it, been really enjoying it so far!

Edit: And done! Was really good, would toats listen to a series of ya'll playing through the rest of the war.
                            Glad you enjoyed, thank you!

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

• I have survived day 1 of Darkwood.

This game is legitimately scary in the "hold your breath so the monsters won't hear you" sense. I spent the day frantically exploring the forest, trying to find enough supplies to not die. I wasn't not totally deprived of weapons, but fighting is difficult and you're shown exactly what can happen during the night in the prologue. Add on to that how the environment seems to change around you, and sometimes you can hear very large creatures moving around in the dark...

I spent the night huddled in a corner of one part of the "safehouse" I hadn't finished securing, hoping that when the monsters came into the house they would at least stay out of the room I was in. When the morning came, I found that the door to my "panic room" had been opened, but miraculously whatever had peeked in had not seen my corner.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• A buddy of mine brought over Gloomhaven on Friday night, and we played some more Saturday night. So far it's really fun, and very RPG-like, but another friend of ours takes so long agonizing over every choice he makes so the game progresses very slowly. Hopefully as we play it more, he'll start matching pace with the rest of us.

Not so noble anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X