Games Discussion/What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have survived* day 19 of Darkwood.

Oh, what a difference good weaponry makes. Specifically, it makes the difference between survival horror and survival action. In the early days, the best weapon I could get was a board with nails in it. It was better than nothing, but for the amount of damage it could do and how easily it could break, it was definitely a weapon of last resort. Running and avoiding enemies was simply the better choice, economically.

Now, I have better tools. They're simple, compared to what I'd get in similar games - a semi-automatic pistol with eight rounds in it, a homemade shotgun (that will break after two shots), and a shovel with a sharpened edge. But with these, I can kill most enemies I encounter. As long as I don't get surrounded or ambushed, the risk of death is a lot lower. Throw in a decent lantern and some flares, and I'm nearly ready to stop being the prey and start being the hunter...

Still not leaving my safehouse at night, though. I'm not crazy.

* All those times I died don't count.
    Last edited by semicasual; 02-13-2018, 06:55 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• You're making Darkwood sound fun.

Inching my way through Dark Souls 2 a couple hours every other day at a time or so. Managed to do the main story and smashing through the DLC with slow but inexorable progress. Sort of regret my build, it's really made my character one-note, even if it's a note that works for the most part. Strength two-handed melee. It's generally pretty smooth sailing but I've come across really hard opponents in the Smelter Knights (I was not expecting two) and Fume Knight. Though apparently facing them, or at least the Smelter Knights, with melee tends to be rough.

Dark Fantasy Werewolf is taking off we had our first session, really liking it though it's being heavily influenced by the Souls and Bloodborne series right now so it will be interesting to see how things develop when things get out of the swamp.

Don't forget it's Valentines Day tomorrow.

Comment

• I'm kinda burned out by the circumstances of life right now, which means I can't bring myself to read/write/watch/do what I'd like to, but I've been playing Monster Hunter World as a way to keep the mind busy for the last couple of weeks.

It's my first, the others had some gameplay choices that always stopped me from giving it a chance.

If you don't mind the grind it's awesome as people say. For my part, I'm used to work hard and farm to get my character where I want, so it's a style that fits me. I'm a firm believer of the Fashion Souls doctrine where a Soulsborne game really ends only when you look and are equipped perfectly, so a game that offers me plenty of armors and weapons to combine has a lot of appeal.

Started with the katana to get used to combat, then tried all the others. I have lots of fun with insect glaives, bows and dual blades, though my favorite is the switch axe by far.

The monsters are awesome, the world is fascinating, the story is entertaining and there are extremely cute kittie pals in there, so there's a lot to love in that game. More than anything, it's a big, fun game that knows its own appeal and is completely honest about it. It's refreshing, especially when it comes to famous titles.
        Last edited by Cinder; 02-13-2018, 10:42 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

I'm often afraid I might say something wrong and look bad. Not dismissive, just anxious

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
          You're making Darkwood sound fun.
          Day 24 - Forget everything I said about being the hunter.

To put it bluntly, there aren't enough bullets to put down all the chompers and giant dogs and banshees and who knows what else that come at you once you're settled into the third hideout. My whole stockpile of small-calliber ammo was gone in three days. My collection of homemade shotties went soon after. I've worn out at least eight suits of armor.

I have to be aggressive to survive at nights now - if I just hold up in any part of the building, sooner or later they'll just break into that part and kill me. But I spend more resources fighting them back than I can find or buy, and more of my reserves get spent each night.

Eventually I decided that I had a choice to make - let myself get killed on purpose every night to save the precious resources I still needed to explore during the day, or move on. I decided to move on.

I've come all the way around back to first hideout, where the enemies are much less aggressive and my superior tools can easily kill them. It's a long hike from here into the part of the forest I left behind, but it's much safer, not to mention cheaper.

I don't know what I'm going to do once I get to the fourth hideout. I can only pray that ammo will get easier to find.
          Last edited by semicasual; 02-14-2018, 11:43 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Just read a new preview of the Werewolf the Apocalypse game.

Love, love, LOVE what I'm hearing and seeing so far.

I know some are going to be unhappy with only playing as a Fianna, but I'm cool with it.

Then again, I'm part Irish, and have always had a place in my heart for them. Stereotypes and all.

And maybe this means we will get the game sooner?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy...

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Eh... given some of the changes I saw in the Vampire 5e preview, and that OPP were required to make to x20 stuff by WW, I'm gonna wait until the game comes out and gets reviewed a bit first.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                Eh... given some of the changes I saw in the Vampire 5e preview, and that OPP were required to make to x20 stuff by WW, I'm gonna wait until the game comes out and gets reviewed a bit first.
                ...wait what. When was this a thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                  Just read a new preview of the Werewolf the Apocalypse game.

Love, love, LOVE what I'm hearing and seeing so far.

I know some are going to be unhappy with only playing as a Fianna, but I'm cool with it.

Then again, I'm part Irish, and have always had a place in my heart for them. Stereotypes and all.

And maybe this means we will get the game sooner?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy...

I hope you mean a video game centered around W:tA.

How long has it been since the release of a video game that focuses on werewolves, or more specifically playing as a werewolf?

I haven't seen one since the days of the Nintendo 64! And that was set in the Castlevania universe.
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Blood of the Werewolf, on Steam, which might be on some consoles. Obviously the Elder Scrolls have their own versions.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      Blood of the Werewolf, on Steam, which might be on some consoles. Obviously the Elder Scrolls have their own versions.

Oh, right, there was the Bloodmoon for Morrowind, but that didn't explicitly focus around a werewolf narrative. It just gave you the option of seeing the story from a werewolf's point of view, and even then it was pretty late into the expansion when that became an option. I'm looking for a game in which you play a werewolf straight from the get-go.

Comment

• I’m finally playing Pillars of Eternity and really liking it.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Day 30 -

Fourth hideout isn't as bad as I thought. In some ways, it's easier to defend than the other hideouts because of its size - there's more space to run away if you need to do that. After that, how hard the night is is up to chance - some nights, you just have to deal with dogs and earthquakes.

Ammunition is still rare enough that I'm gradually depleting it, but I'm accumulating new weapons to compensate. With the workbench fully upgraded, I have access to a lot of cheap, effective explosive traps.

Now exploring during the daytime is the dangerous part. This part of the woods is easily the most hostile I've come into - chompers are common, and sometimes they come in packs. The worst part is all the water - aside from the swamp monsters, wading through the muck really slows me down, making it very challenging to get anywhere. Twice I've gotten stuck in the wilderness after nightfall and had to flee to my safehouse while being pursued by unstoppable monsters.

I still really like the atmosphere of this game, but the unremitting tension and the drudgery of exploring is wearing on me. I'll be happy to escape these woods once and for all.

Comment

• Since watching Altered Carbon i've been in a sci-fi mood and thought i'd try shadowrun: dragonfall. I've played through the first game and quite liked it.

Only problem is that i suffer from a condition i call ''can't stick to a character-itis'' not wait more like acute ''can't stick to a character-itis''. For exemple i've played WoW a long time ago and had only 1 character reach lvl 80 (i think) and i've made hundreds of character, deleting the vast majority when they reach lvl10 because ... well it just didnt click.
                            So now i have 10 hours played of the beginning of dragonfall always reaching the point of ''that's not quite the character i want to play''. And i delete my characters for the stupidest things. '' Oh another character slightly looks like mine or has a slightly similar theme. Delete'' or '' In this one conversation exchange none of the prompt fits what i think my character would say. Delete''
                            Sigh, i just got learn to not think too hard about my character and just enjoy the game.
                            Maybe this time i'll try an elf rigger with a ... ex-corporate background. But with cyberware or a drug addiction? hum.

Comment

• I'm wanting to run an online Classic WoD game really really bad, but I don't know if I should run Vampire or Mage. I'm also open to Werewolf and Changeling as well.

Comment

• The ex is taking the Switch when he moves out (it is his, after all), which means I’ll likely be buying my own almost entirely for that The World Ends With You port. It’s my favorite game of all time; I never expected to see more content for it, and that’s a system seller for me.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X