Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies

I just got home from seeing Thor: The Dark World. It was okay; nothing to get excited about. If you are on the fence, my recommendation is to Netflix it. I'm not convinced it was worth the ticket price in the theater.
    Last edited by Storyteller; 11-08-2013, 02:00 AM.

The Forum Member Also Known as "Mike Holland"

I heard the opposite, my friend when to the press pre-screening and reported the crowd loved it and recommends it. My partner and I are Thor fans so we'll be seeing it this weekend.

Assistant Organizer for:

Comment

Originally posted by JoeB View Post
      I heard the opposite.
      About sikker's performance? Be kind to him, it was his first big Hollywood roll.

Comment

Actually... I have a bit of a movie-related favor to ask of the experts.

I have not been following the separate superheros or the lead up to the avengers stuff much, and in fact it was only a few months ago that I finally saw the second Iron Man.

What order should I watch these in and what ones should I watch? I know they all kinda-sorta mesh together.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Captain America was the first hero in the series. After that, you could probably role with how they were first presented movie-wise. Iron Man

Comment

My professor said she really liked it, but she's practically in love with the bloke who plays Thor, so take it with a grain of salt.

!

Comment

Captain America was the first hero in the series. After that, you could probably roll with how they were first presented movie-wise, Iron Man--->Iron Man 2--->Thor....since there are those pesky post credit scenes that hint what comes next culminating with the Avengers

Comment

Originally posted by JoeB View Post
                I heard the opposite, my friend when to the press pre-screening and reported the crowd loved it and recommends it. My partner and I are Thor fans so we'll be seeing it this weekend.
                If it matters to frame my opinion, I am a big fan of Thor and I rather enjoyed the first movie.

The Forum Member Also Known as "Mike Holland"

Comment

Elisabeth went and saw it last night. All she has been doing is gushing about how good it is. Guess I go see it when I go visit her (after we go play bingo).

Bipolar vampire...can't decide to feast for fun or for rage...

Comment

I saw The Wolverine Extended today, i like the setting in japan as how it was done and the extended have a couple of more fight scene (the last one was AWESOME) and a little more explanation about the plot.

Is in no way THE xmen movie (that for me is first class) but to me its way better than "Xmen 2: Wolverine" wich used to be the best Xmen movie in my opinion.
                    Last edited by kaho; 11-08-2013, 07:58 PM.

Rule number 1
                    Assume players are bastards, bastard coated bastards with bastard filling until proven otherwise.
                    Rule number 2
                    I don't care about the theme of personal horror.

Comment

Saw Thor today.
                      The whole of it played out well enough. But I guess I was hoping they'd put the "God" back in Thunder-God. The closest we saw in that was Thor making it stop raining on Darcy.
                      And this leads to the problem I'm having with how they're presenting Thor and Asgard in general. It's like the whole of it are a technologically advance race rather than a pantheon of gods that were there at the beginning of all.
                      Pretty much agree with what was said in this review

But repackaging a Norse god as an alien superhero takes chutzpah, not humor (unless you count the Viking ship that serves as his spacecraft), and movie studios have yet to lose money by assuming that their audiences have the intellectual discernment of newborns. So if the multiple idiocies on view strike you as neither here nor there, it’s probably because your eyeballs are too busy recoiling from the onslaught of disorienting 3-D effects, or else too distracted by the title character’s Popeye arms and really big mallet.

The screen seems to take on life when either Loki or Darcy come into it. And I think Loki pretty much steals the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Loxosceles

Thor©®™ Marvel Entertainment Group LLC, a Disney Studios company is a member of a technologically advanced alien race, which happens to also be a pantheon of gods with origins that predate the current universe. They were a sort of raw creative force, given form and purpose by the beliefs of humans (a largely chance encounter). Because of the type of force involved, their definition as incarnations of Asgardian mythical figures was complete... including making it so that they are what they are even before they became what they are, in a fun bit of time-ignoring predetermination.

Which was kind of added on a bit later. At the core of it, Jack Kirby drew them with a certain aesthetic and Stan Lee (and Gerry Conway) wrote them as interacting with alien invaders more often than they interacted with modern humans... so that is what Marvel Comics Thor is and has been. If you don't like the sort of ray-gun aesthetic, or want something more closely modeled on Norse myth/legend/religious belief, then you need to find another product.

Complaining that Thor©®™ is not following the Prose Edda is much like complaining that Vampire: the Requiem isn't word for word identical to the works of Bram Stoker. The failing isn't in the product, but in your rigid expectations.
                        Said best here: Thor Versus Iron Man Before Thor became "Disneyfied."
                        "Do not let them forget what a god of thunder is and what that means."

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowflame View Post
                          Saw Thor today.

But repackaging a Norse god as an alien superhero takes chutzpah, not humor (unless you count the Viking ship that serves as his spacecraft), and movie studios have yet to lose money by assuming that their audiences have the intellectual discernment of newborns. So if the multiple idiocies on view strike you as neither here nor there, it’s probably because your eyeballs are too busy recoiling from the onslaught of disorienting 3-D effects, or else too distracted by the title character’s Popeye arms and really big mallet. [/I]

oh then you gonna love this guy

Beta Ray Bill.

I personally dont mind the alien angle in Thor and its ok for the movies as mixing magic + technology for mainstream audiences would have been trickier. On the comics thought you also have the other pantheons who are depending on earth worship to survive and the line get murky there.

Rule number 1
                          Assume players are bastards, bastard coated bastards with bastard filling until proven otherwise.
                          Rule number 2
                          I don't care about the theme of personal horror.

Comment

Would you like me to provide you with some panels of him piloting an open-topped longship through space, or pushing blinking buttons on an Asgardian control panel from comic books published in the early sixties?
                            Why would I care to see that?
                            Your contention that it has been Disneyfied is frankly one that leads me to believe that you have a very narrow understanding of the subject matter, and that in your ignorance you are parroting something you read online by someone else who had no idea what they were saying, but still wished to complain.
                            This aesthetic and the departure from Norse mythology has absolutely nothing to do with Disney purchasing Marvel. It has everything to do with the specific interpretation of the character of Thor as published by Marvel comics for fifty years.
                            Oh And what did you think it was when he became the Rune King and decided to end the cycle of Ragnarok? And then became reborn because of belief that he and Asgard was needed?
                            It seems to me you're very quick to throw labels around whenever someone has an opinion that departs from your own.
                            Perhaps it's because of your own intolerance and thin skin. I suggest you grow some thicker skin and learn to accept that others' opinions may differ from your own.

They're departure going from the mysticism to science based is idiotic. There were only three superheroes prepped to challenge Warlock when he kept the Infinity Gauntlet; Thor, Silver Surfer, and Doctor Strange. And I get the feeling that they aren't going to create a Dr. Strange movie anytime soon.

And Beta Ray Bill is awesome!
                            From Walt Simonson: [I]"One of the cool things about Thor was the enchantment around Mjolnir and the original inscription on it. So I thought, well that means someone else can pick up this hammer and get this power, if they're worthy! This is the most powerful weapon of the Norse gods. This hammer is a killing weapon. It's used to kill Frost Giants and others. So I created Bill because he's noble, and he's designed to kill. He's got a great purpose as a warrior, and also the noble ability. That makes him "worthy" whatever that may be.

Comment

Thor: the Dark World is fun, but one thing I noticed as we were leaving the theater was that the instant it was over, my friend and I stopped talking or thinking about it. I feel bad about that. Loyalty is pretty deep in my nature, and not caring enough about Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston to be fascinated by their movie feels like a betrayal to me. In the end, though, that's just how I feel: good but not great; fun but not super-interesting. As such, my ability to give an in-depth review is pretty difficult for me to offer, particularly in light of everything Loxosceles has already said.

Idris Elba is the king of all badasses. He sits on a throne made of gold mined from meteorites that he personally caught in his fists as they fell to the Earth, and the throne is also a motorcycle. His crown is made of equal parts fire and electric guitar riffs.

There are two stingers. The first one is awesome and reminds me of why Benicio del Toro is one of the best actors I know of. The second is wet your pants funny.

There are at least two areas where I feel like subplots were cut in editing. One involves Sif and Thor, the other involves Erik Selvig. I won't go into more because of my no spoilers policy, but I just feel like more was filmed than was shown to us.

The final action sequence of the movie is almost perfect. There is only one place it missteps, and that is which direction Mjolnir approaches Thor from. It should have approached him from the front.

...Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to add.

Comment

Working...
                              X