No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, no, the movie isn't just about being kind to each other making things better. The show isn't about the power of kindness, it's about the reality of pain, and on a broader level the clear understanding that there are societal forces that seek to ridicule and cover up that reality.

This isn't a bright message painted in a bleak color job-it's central theme is about an ugly, bitter concept, and it's dressed down into a drabber, grim presentation.

It's a minor, but important distinction. It's not here to highlight "If only we had done better", it's here to say.

Well.

It's here to say "You get what you deserve." It's not condemnation with an eye towards hope. It's condemnation, pure and simple. Joker as plague.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post

Who the hell is this emotional crybaby?

Surely they don't think they're worthy to be called the Clown Prince of Crime?

Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-11-2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• Did you see the movie, ArcaneArts?

Comment

• I second the question above. You keep dishing out talking points unconnected to anything that's in the movie.
          How is it in any way about "societal forces that seek to ridicule and cover up that reality"? What possible part of the movie is about that?
          Last edited by Kammerer; 10-12-2019, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• A pretty interesting, and more positive take:

I’m still not a fan, but I think it’s a valid and valuable reading.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Adams Family was underwhelming, not really sure why it was necessary to make unless it was required to maintain the rights.

Are you on the square?
              Are you on the level?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                Adams Family was underwhelming, not really sure why it was necessary to make unless it was required to maintain the rights.
                Either that, or a misguided attempt to exploit nostalgia, drastically misjudging how much nostalgia was actually present.

Comment

• Since I missed the questions, yes, I saw Joker.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Either that, or a misguided attempt to exploit nostalgia, drastically misjudging how much nostalgia was actually present.
                    I really do appreciate the use of the original character designs from the Adams comics though.

Are you on the square?
                    Are you on the level?

Comment

• The Addams Family is the latest in a long line of attempts by studios to cash in on nostalgia. Brand recognition alone is a powerful form of marketing, which is highly sought after in our current world of media hyper-saturation. Far easier to get noticed than an original property, that you need to build a whole cultural presence for from scratch (which costs more money).

Of course, the meta level of the nostalgia chasing trend is that even us griping about remakes is, in and of itself, a form of cynical marketing exploitation. If we're complaining about The Addams Family getting another movie, that means we're talking about it. Good or bad, it lodges the new film in the collective consciousness through hot takes, franchise retrospectives, vlog rants, and the constantly churning primordial soup that is the Meme Sphere.

It's free advertising, just as surely as Woke Brands are. And it's almost certain that if studios weren't aware of this effect a decade ago, they know it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                        The Addams Family is the latest in a long line of attempts by studios to cash in on nostalgia. Brand recognition alone is a powerful form of marketing, which is highly sought after in our current world of media hyper-saturation. Far easier to get noticed than an original property, that you need to build a whole cultural presence for from scratch (which costs more money).

Of course, the meta level of the nostalgia chasing trend is that even us griping about remakes is, in and of itself, a form of cynical marketing exploitation. If we're complaining about The Addams Family getting another movie, that means we're talking about it. Good or bad, it lodges the new film in the collective consciousness through hot takes, franchise retrospectives, vlog rants, and the constantly churning primordial soup that is the Meme Sphere.

It's free advertising, just as surely as https://youtu.be/06yy88tLWlg"]Woke Brands[/URL] are. And it's almost certain that if studios weren't aware of this effect a decade ago, they know it now.
                        You’re not wrong, but also the whole “everything is remakes and sequels these days!” gripe is older than film, and arguably older than print.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                          You’re not wrong, but also the whole “everything is remakes and sequels these days!” gripe is older than film, and arguably older than print.
                          Stupid Paradise Lost being a stupid Genesis Remake.

Comment

• Now I’m just imagining Phil Collins making a cameo in an adaptation of Paradise Lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Now I’m just imagining Phil Collins making a cameo in an adaptation of Paradise Lost.
                              That or Sonic XD

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Man,I didn't know so many hated the mcu and Frozen, i know both are flawed. But it does read like Hype Backlash to me. When something becomes so popular peope get angry at its popularity and decide to hate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X