Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimB View Post

In the book, it's a Game of Thrones reference, so there's that.

definitely corporate synergy at work behind the change then. Oh well.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• I don't understand the hype for the Mandalorian. Episode 1 was so unbelievably... mediocre. It's not like embarrassingly bad or anything, but it's not good at anything either. They spend a whole scene hyping up how difficult it'll be to find Baby Yoda and how they only have partial and outdated information, but then the Mandalorian has already found him in the next scene. That was obviously added so that the Mandalorian can be worfed and awkwardly introduced to the cowboy character, but that sidequest was incredibly silly and paint by numbers. The Mandalorian falls off a space monster twice, the cowboy gives a speech, music swells and the Mandalorian immediately succeeds.

I just don't get it. If this wasn't a Star Wars property, no one would even notice this show exists. It sure as hell no Firefly.

Comment

• I saw Knives Out yesterday and highly enjoyed it!! The less you know going in the better so I won't say much... But I really liked it!!

MrGone's Character Sheets
        For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Ford vs Ferrari was amazing.

The Final Frontier

Comment

• The last Star Wars was probably the worst since the Phantom Menace.
            Can't understand what they had in their minds. A complete U turn from the Last Jedi, to satisfy the worst part of the fandom, selling again and again the same old story, the same old topoi, playing in a comfort zone that has more holes than the Titanic after it kissed the Iceberg.
            Last edited by Undead rabbit; 12-18-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
              The last Star Wars was probably the worst since the Phantom Menace.
              Can't understand what they had in their minds. A complete U turn from the Last Jedi, to satisfy the worst part of the fandom, selling again and again the same old story, the same old topoi, playing in a comfort zone that has more holes than the Titanic after it kissed the Iceberg.
              That’s unfortunately what I figured. Ahh well, s’just a movie.

EDIT: I still think Phantom Menace was a fine movie though. Better than Attack of the Clones and honestly, maybe even Revenge of the Sith.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 12-18-2019, 07:08 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Undead rabbit View Post
                The last Star Wars was probably the worst since the Phantom Menace.
                Think I'll skip it then.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Wasn't bad. Felt too overdramatic though.. And it did feel like they were trying too hard after the backlash from TLJ.

Just tell the story you want. why give in to screaming incels?

who wants to bet they like it though?

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                    Wasn't bad. Felt too overdramatic though.. And it did feel like they were trying too hard after the backlash from TLJ.

Bearing in mind I haven’t seen it yet, I think this is the story JJ Abrams wanted to tell. The problem is that the story that was being told changed course, and he opted to “correct” it rather than continue in the new direction. He used his shot at Star Wars to deliver a mystery box. Then the story got handed over to a different director, with a strong understanding of themes and no interest in mystery boxes. Then when a vocal portion of the community was upset about that, they gave it back to JJ to finish the story the way he originally imagined it. Bad move, in my opinion, but here we are.

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                    Nah, they won’t. Some of them may be glad that it undoes a lot of TLJ, but I don’t think they’re going to be happy with ROS itself.

I think the poor critical reception of the sequel trilogy, contrasted with the success of the Mandalorian makes it abundantly clear that leaving the Skywalker saga behind is the right move. There is just too much baggage tied up in the story of the originals for expanding that story to be critically successful. It means too many different things too deeply to too many different people, anything they do is going to upset some portion of the fans. Better to tell stories in the Star Wars setting that are at only adjacent to the Skywalker story at best, lest you risk “ruining someone’s childhood.”

Comment

• Which kinda sucks, as I actually like the characters themselves. Would like to see new stories about Finn, Poe, and Rey. But, as they're Skywalker Cycle characters doubt we'll see them again.
                      Last edited by vampire hunter D; 12-20-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                        Wasn't bad. Felt too overdramatic though.. And it did feel like they were trying too hard after the backlash from TLJ.

Just like everything else Disney does, it was all about the money. Ultimate Disney isn't interested in telling a story, they're interested in selling a story and making as much money off of that story as possible. If they believe one story will sell better than another, then that's the story they'll prefer to make into a movie. In various interviews following the movie Solo (which bombed or at least did far, far worse at the box office than Disney's estimations) people at Disney seemed to feel that it did so poorly in large part due to fallout from The Last Jedi.

"Hardcore" fans of a franchise (whether movies or any other medium) are the ones who are willing to spend the most money. They're the ones who might spend money to see a movie three, four or five times in a theater. When they feel snubbed (rightly or wrongly) and skip going to see movies (or buying the next console game in a series or whatever) it's going to be a major blow to the company's bottom line. If the audience who liked The Last Jedi had been willing to speak with their wallet and and had supported Solo I think maybe Disney would have been more willing to take things in a different direction. But unfortunately the people who spoke the loudest with their wallets seemed to be the people who didn't like TLJ, and so here we are.

Comment

• Rise of Skywalker was fantastic. I despised The Last Jedi, so to see this franchise go back to the heights its capable of had me grinning from ear to ear. Well done, JJ Abrams. Between this and The Mandalorian, I'd say Star Wars is in a good place right now.

The Final Frontier

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

Just like everything else Disney does, it was all about the money. Ultimate Disney isn't interested in telling a story, they're interested in selling a story and making as much money off of that story as possible. If they believe one story will sell better than another, then that's the story they'll prefer to make into a movie. In various interviews following the movie Solo (which bombed or at least did far, far worse at the box office than Disney's estimations) people at Disney seemed to feel that it did so poorly in large part due to fallout from The Last Jedi.

"Hardcore" fans of a franchise (whether movies or any other medium) are the ones who are willing to spend the most money. They're the ones who might spend money to see a movie three, four or five times in a theater. When they feel snubbed (rightly or wrongly) and skip going to see movies (or buying the next console game in a series or whatever) it's going to be a major blow to the company's bottom line. If the audience who liked The Last Jedi had been willing to speak with their wallet and and had supported Solo I think maybe Disney would have been more willing to take things in a different direction. But unfortunately the people who spoke the loudest with their wallets seemed to be the people who didn't like TLJ, and so here we are.
                            We’ll see how much better snubbing TLJ fans works out for them, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                              We’ll see how much better snubbing TLJ fans works out for them, I guess.
                              Probably not too well would be my guess. Snubbing half your fanbase and then snubbing the remaining half doesn't seem like a great strategy to me, but then snubbing your fanbase at all didn't seem like a great strategy in the first place. After the hot mess of TLJ they should have just written off the older fans who disliked it, said "Yeah, we're not getting their money anymore," washed their hands of it all, and then hoped that in time they could build up a new fanbase that would eventually grow enough to make up for it.

As is though, they seem to be gambling more for short-term success and hoping that they can get the older fans to come back. Of course that's one of the problems with pleasing shareholders who are more focused on what their portfolio will look like in 6 months and want bigger and bigger box office records and less interested in hearing, "It'll be bad for awhile but in 5 or 6 years things will look great!"
                              Last edited by AnubisXy; 12-20-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                                Probably not too well would be my guess. Snubbing half your fanbase and then snubbing the remaining half doesn't seem like a great strategy to me, but then snubbing your fanbase at all didn't seem like a great strategy in the first place. After the hot mess of TLJ they should have just written off the older fans who disliked it, said "Yeah, we're not getting their money anymore," washed their hands of it all, and then hoped that in time they could build up a new fanbase that would eventually grow enough to make up for it.
                                I’m not really clear on how TLJ “snubbed half the fanbase.” A certain portion of the fanbase greatly disliked TLJ, and you know, fair enough. But it didn’t really “snub” them, any more than, I don’t know, the live-action remakes of the golden age movies “snub” me.

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                                As is though, they seem to be gambling more for short-term success and hoping that they can get the older fans to come back. Of course that's one of the problems with pleasing shareholders who are more focused on what their portfolio will look like in 6 months and want bigger and bigger box office records and less interested in hearing, "It'll be bad for awhile but in 5 or 6 years things will look great!"
                                Very true.

Comment

Working...
                                X