Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
    If George had continued, his episodes 7, 8, & 9 woud have come out in the same era when he made Howard the Duck.
    Do you have evidence for that? After all, his prequel trilogy was made in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      I don’t think George’s ideas would have been any better received than the trilogy we got. I certainly don’t think I would have enjoyed them very much, and while I think there are some folks who would have, I think the vast majority would have hated them. The Disney trilogy has issues for sure, but most people enjoyed TFA even if it wasn’t their favorite, and TLJ is divisive but truly loved by many. We’ll see what the response to ROS is long-term, but overall I think the trilogy we got is probably better than the one we would have gotten if George’s ideas had been fully embraced.
      Yea, I'm with you. With the little bit that George has talked about what he wanted to do, I don't think people would have been as in to it as what we got..

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
      If George had continued, his episodes 7, 8, & 9 woud have come out in the same era when he made Howard the Duck.

keep that in mind
      Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Do you have evidence for that? After all, his prequel trilogy was made in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.
      Yea, I was about to say... That doesn't seem right. George had talked about a 7, 8 and 9, but not until way after the prequels.

MrGone's Character Sheets
      For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
        Wasn't bad. Felt too overdramatic though.. And it did feel like they were trying too hard after the backlash from TLJ.

Just tell the story you want. why give in to screaming incels?

who wants to bet they like it though?

I'll take that bet.

PayPal?

And by "incels" are you referring to anyone who is not on the Left? Or just incels, specifically?

I frequent a number of pop culture forums that many would consider on the right, as well as on the left(like these very forums). Just about every single forum/social media site frequented by conservatives despise the new film. They also hated TLJ. I really DO hate speaking in universal truths, however(like saying 'everything is politics'), so I'm just going with what I'
        ve specifically seen.

This film is very, very divisive. Just like TLJ. Who would've thought?

The Final Frontier

Comment

• I just hope JJ doesn't come out and say there is a super directors cut of the last three films that will some how make it all better.

Are you on the square?
          Are you on the level?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
            This film is very, very divisive. Just like TLJ. Who would've thought?
            I had a feeling it would be. They were either going to lean into things from the Last Jedi and further the story, which would further piss off the people who hated The Last Jedi, or they would backpedal (which they seemingly did in some respects) and piss off the people who loved The Last Jedi.

It's kind of sad to me that this trilogy has been so reactionary to the previous movies, rather than just focusing on telling a great over aching story.

I like the new movies, don't get me wrong, but to me they're just not as good as they could have been. Ah well...maybe we'll get some better stories in the next movies if they really are disconnecting from the Skywalkers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight View Post
              I just hope JJ doesn't come out and say there is a super directors cut of the last three films that will some how make it all better.
              I have a feeling there will at least be tones of deleted scenes on the blu-ray, if not an extended edition. It seems like they cut a whole lot of stuff out of the movies, which makes sense considering there were a bunch of reshoots. Though, they never released that stuff for Rogue One, so who knows...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post

I had a feeling it would be. They were either going to lean into things from the Last Jedi and further the story, which would further piss off the people who hated The Last Jedi, or they would backpedal (which they seemingly did in some respects) and piss off the people who loved The Last Jedi.

It's kind of sad to me that this trilogy has been so reactionary to the previous movies, rather than just focusing on telling a great over aching story.

I like the new movies, don't get me wrong, but to me they're just not as good as they could have been. Ah well...maybe we'll get some better stories in the next movies if they really are disconnecting from the Skywalkers.

People can't just enjoy things anymore. I'm sure 2020 will be much better. *reads an article about how TRoS supports domestic abuse and is anti-women

...you know what? Nevermind.

In all seriousness, Star Wars as a franchise is in a good place at the moment. We just saw the release of a new video game that is fantastic.

The Mandalorian is an excellent show(Please allow Deborah Chow and Jon Favreau to take the reigns of the franchise).

The comic books have been pretty damn solid(and a new Star Wars #1 is just around the corner).

And the novels have been doing well, too.

Despite the animosity that seems to be coming from all directions, Star Wars as a franchise looks to be in a pretty solid state to me, despite the issues people have with the film side of things.

The Final Frontier

Comment

People can't just enjoy things anymore. I'm sure 2020 will be much better. *reads an article about how TRoS supports domestic abuse and is anti-women

...you know what? Nevermind.

In all seriousness, Star Wars as a franchise is in a good place at the moment. We just saw the release of a new video game that is fantastic.

The Mandalorian is an excellent show(Please allow Deborah Chow and Jon Favreau to take the reigns of the franchise).

The comic books have been pretty damn solid(and a new Star Wars #1 is just around the corner).

And the novels have been doing well, too.

Despite the animosity that seems to be coming from all directions, Star Wars as a franchise looks to be in a pretty solid state to me, despite the issues people have with the film side of things.
                  Turns out, all publicly is good publicity. Who knew?

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I generally disagree with that quote, but in this case? It works.

The Final Frontier

Comment

I generally disagree with that quote, but in this case? It works.
                      Like any aphorism, it is not meant literally. Of course there *is* such thing as bad publicity. But generally speaking, people talking about your product translates to sales, even if the things they’re saying about it aren’t positive.

Comment

Trump realized that years ago.
                        Last edited by AnubisXy; 12-24-2019, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
                          It worked for George Lucas! Zing!! :P

I don't blame Kathleen Kennedy per se. I think she's done a pretty awesome job for the most part. I guess I don't understand why the Lucasfilm Story group didn't step in and ask for at least a base storyoutline... seems weird. But, I do think that Lucas made up a lot of Star Wars as he went...and maybe they were trying to replicate that? I dunno...
                          I guess I can't help but make the comparison to the MCU (which is also owned by Disney). When you look at the various Marvel movies you can see that they had certain goals in mind and were building up to them, and each movie adds to the puzzle they were creating (with a few extras that feel somewhat extraneous here and there). Iron Man 1 set up for Captain America, Captain America began setting up for the first Avengers movie, the first Avengers movie began setting up for the Thanos Saga, and all of the other movies created helped the overall story move forward. When they were making movie A, they had a general idea of what movie B would be, and maybe even a very rough idea of what might be in movies C and D, so you get something of a flow and can see how the movies are building on one another.

With Star Wars through, they tossed out the extended universe and then had... well, nothing to work with. Getting rid of the extended universe was perfectly fine and certainly not a bad idea, but the problem is they don't appear to have spent any time planning what would replace it or what they wanted to do with their new franchise. For example, you'd think Luke's death (arguably the most important moment in the franchise) would have been well planned out in advance, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

If it were me, after getting the Star Wars property and deciding to toss out the extended universe, I would have had a creative team sit down for six months and hammer out some general, long term plans for the new Star Wars universe and then figure out how to have the movies serve as a good method to segue the general public between George Lucas' Star Wars and the new Disney Star Wars universe. But apparently that didn't happen, or at least none of that was communicated to the directors, so the new trilogy simply feels like it's lurching around with no clue as to what it's trying to do or where it's trying to go.

And again, that's not the fault of the directors, but simply the lack of planning with Disney. If they were trying to mimic Lucas' success they forgot that even Lucas had certain elements of future movies planned out (you can see how there seems to have been a plan for Han to get captured by Jabba in the first movie, especially in relation to the cut footage) or how he was going to reveal Darth Vader was Luke's father. I don't think there was anything even that vague planned out for the new trilogy. At the very least it doesn't feel like some of the similar ideas that were revealed in Episode 9 were planned out in advance like that.
                          Last edited by AnubisXy; 12-24-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• If they had wanted to follow the Marvel model, they could have used the extended universe as a rough outline and source of ideas the same way the comics are for the MCU.

Comment

• I rather enjoyed Rise of Skywalker.

Comment

If they had wanted to follow the Marvel model, they could have used the extended universe as a rough outline and source of ideas the same way the comics are for the MCU.
                                Yeah. I mean I get why they tossed the extended universe out. There was a ton of junk in it, and they wanted to replace it with something that would be easier for new fans to get into. In this case, I don't think it was a mistake on Disney's part to do that, but the lack of planning for what the replacement would look like was a mistake.

Unfortunately I can't help but feel that the problems with this new trilogy come down to a lack of long term planning and lack of vision. Hopefully Disney figures out what they want to do with the franchise and where they want to take it, and does a better job of laying down a roadmap in the future because I'd really like to see it (especially the cinematic material) remain successful and welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X