Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Not to defend the whole clone army thing, but the Caminoans did use some type of “growth acceleration” that made the clones mature at twice the normal rate, so a 10-year-old clone would ostensibly have the physical and mental maturity of a 20-year-old human.
    I could see the feasibility in reaching something resembling physical maturity in half the time. Mental maturity, on the other hand, I don't see how they'd manage that, absent the Kaminoans being wizards.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      I could see the feasibility in reaching something resembling physical maturity in half the time. Mental maturity, on the other hand, I don't see how they'd manage that, absent the Kaminoans being wizards.
      Eh, if we’re suspending disbelief enough to accept that their bodies are developing at an accelerated rate, why not their brains too?

      I could see an argument for their social development being stunted, but like... Have you seen the facility they’re trained in? That was going to happen no matter what.


      Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        Eh, if we’re suspending disbelief enough to accept that their bodies are developing at an accelerated rate, why not their brains too?
        Mostly because even if their brains are capable of developing as fast as their bodies are, they're still only experiencing ten years' worth of life before getting shipped out to fight. Heck, I can't say that at twenty I felt I had a clear comprehension of life's purpose, directedness, and intentionality; I have trouble even imagining someone being able to do it with ten.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Mostly because even if their brains are capable of developing as fast as their bodies are, they're still only experiencing ten years' worth of life before getting shipped out to fight. Heck, I can't say that at twenty I felt I had a clear comprehension of life's purpose, directedness, and intentionality; I have trouble even imagining someone being able to do it with ten.
          Yeah, I’d call that social development, and it’s probably not something the people who are looking to build an army of disposable clones is really interested in instilling in their soldiers.


          Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

          Comment


          • Hence why I still consider them child soldiers.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              Hence why I still consider them child soldiers.
              I just don’t think the analogy quite works, as they would have the mental faculties of adults, just not the social skills. I suppose a closer analogy might be grown-up former child soldiers.

              EDIT: Which is not any better ethically. Just gives a better picture of the clone soldiers’ mindsets, IMO.


              Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

              Comment


              • Fair enough.

                Comment


                • Yeah, I guess the accelerated development means they're not really child soldiers as we understand the term... though I honestly have no clue if rapid-aging them so they're adult soldiers by the age of ten makes it more sketchy or less sketchy.

                  Comment


                  • Some dumbass in Australia made a movie ('Inspired by true events' it warns) called Turbines where an immigrant couple in Australia gets relocated to a rural part of the country where there's a job they get him, and wind turbines everywhere. Things get weird, and he kills everyone. Because of Wind Turbine Syndrome. What's Wind Turbine Syndrome? It's like Obama's Jade Helm plot to take over the American Southwest, a fearmongering practice that has no basis in reality.

                    Comment


                    • Sounds like just what Australia needs when much of the country is literally burning to the ground as we speak.

                      Comment


                      • Why oh why did The Grudge need to be remade/booted again?


                        Are you on the square?
                        Are you on the level?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                          Why oh why did The Grudge need to be remade/booted again?
                          16 year old film with huge name recognition that was moderately successful but not well-liked enough to be thought of as a classic seems like the perfect candidate for a remake if you’re a Hollywood exec.


                          Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

                          Comment


                          • Where is my alien vs predator reboot then.....


                            Are you on the square?
                            Are you on the level?

                            Comment


                            • Apparently 'rumor has it' Disney wants to reboot the whole Alien franchise thing so maybe after Star Wars stuff is over.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                Apparently 'rumor has it' Disney wants to reboot the whole Alien franchise thing so maybe after Star Wars stuff is over.
                                Xenomorph princess yaasssss Queen!


                                Are you on the square?
                                Are you on the level?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X