Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Apparently 'rumor has it' Disney wants to reboot the whole Alien franchise thing so maybe after Star Wars stuff is over.

MrGone's Character Sheets
    For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight View Post
      Why oh why did The Grudge need to be remade/booted again?
      Because Money, Dear Boy. It's why anything gets remade.

(Though obviously this has less to do with the Trope in specific, since that's related to actors, not studios).

Comment

• It's hard to imagine it (if it actually happens) to be good, a lot of what made Alien so good was because it was novel at the time.

The Grudge always seemed a little hampered, maybe it would be good but I don't particularly care.

From the Dark is on Shudder at the moment, that's a really good vampire horror movie. It was on Netflix for a long time I don't know if it's still there.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
          It's hard to imagine it (if it actually happens) to be good, a lot of what made Alien so good was because it was novel at the time.
          By now the xenomorphs are so entrenched in people's consciousness that it just can't have the same effect again. Though, really, this applies to most reboots and remakes. You can't experience the same thing again. But by now harping on nostalgia has become a sort of necromancy.

Comment

• So I heard Netflix had a new Dracula adaptation; I rather enjoyed the book, so I figured I'd give it a try. Was amused to see that various Bible-thumpers were up in arms about a soulless undead monster who happens to be male while seducing people for their blood, seducing a male character.

​However, I just can't get past that scene in the beginning where a fly crawls into Jonathan Harker's eye. Noped right out of that. Sorry. -_-

​Two guys fucking? That's great. Bugs in people's eyes? Not my cup of tea.
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-07-2020, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• So, I’ve now seen Rise of Skywalker. Didn’t hate it as much as I thought I would. Didn’t like it as much as I hoped I would. And after letting it sit for a day or so, I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t need it. Just as the so-called Machete viewing order recognized that you didn’t need Phantom Menace to tell Luke’s story (and really you only need Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith to tell it because Lucas edited Haden Christiansen into Return of the Jedi), I’ve come to the conclusion that the story I see in Star Wars doesn’t need Rise of Skywalker. I’m not sure if it needs Attack of the Clones either, I’ll have to try my own fan on viewing order with and without it to see. But I think there’s a nice, clean hexology or septology in there that tells the story of the rise, fall, and resurgence of the empire by way of Luke Skywalker’s involvement in the conflict, with the themes I discussed a few posts back, which ends with the fate of the galaxy unclear but optimistic, and that actually feels very relevant to our current political climate. That order is:

1: A New Hope
              2: The Empire Strikes Back
              3 (maybe)? Attack of the Clones
              4 (or 3?) Revenge of the Sith
              5 (or 4?) Return of the Jedi
              6 (or 5?) The Force Awakens
              7 (or 6?) The Last Jedi

I really hope it works without Attack of the Clones because it’s still the worst Star Wars movie in my opinion, and a hexology is much more viscerally appealing than a septology. And I *think* it will but like I said, I have to try it. I encourage anyone who enjoyed TLJ to give it a try and let me know what they think.

That said, I am not attempting to suggest that this is the optimal Star Wars movie viewing experience by any means. The series is so many different things to so many different people, so if my take doesn’t resonate with you, that’s 100% cool. Just thought I’d share my takeaway from the Skywalker saga now that it’s (ostensibly) complete.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 01-08-2020, 08:09 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• While I enjoyed TFA well enough and greatly value some elements of TLJ, I honestly feel like the entire sequel trilogy was kind of... purposeless. Obviously there were many more stories to tell in the Star Wars universe, but the sequels fell into the trap of trying to one-up the previous ones while also playing it safe and giving us the predictable "Star Wars experience". And it's kind of painfully obvious there was no plan for any of this beyond "make more Star Wars to earn us bucketloads of cash". Which, granted, worked like a charm.

The parts of TLJ that I enjoyed were Rey's subplot with Luke, which TROS apparently largely goes back on - "We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters". Was including them worth the entire spectacle? I'm not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  So, I’ve now seen Rise of Skywalker. Didn’t hate it as much as I thought I would. Didn’t like it as much as I hoped I would. And after letting it sit for a day or so, I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t need it. Just as the so-called Machete viewing order recognized that you didn’t need Phantom Menace to tell Luke’s story (and really you only need Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith to tell it because Lucas edited Haden Christiansen into Return of the Jedi), I’ve come to the conclusion that the story I see in Star Wars doesn’t need Rise of Skywalker. I’m not sure if it needs Attack of the Clones either, I’ll have to try my own fan on viewing order with and without it to see. But I think there’s a nice, clean hexology or septology in there that tells the story of the rise, fall, and resurgence of the empire by way of Luke Skywalker’s involvement in the conflict, with the themes I discussed a few posts back, which ends with the fate of the galaxy unclear but optimistic, and that actually feels very relevant to our current political climate. That order is:

1: A New Hope
                  2: The Empire Strikes Back
                  3 (maybe)? Attack of the Clones
                  4 (or 3?) Revenge of the Sith
                  5 (or 4?) The Force Awakens
                  7 (or 6?) The Last Jedi

I really hope it works without Attack of the Clones because it’s still the worst Star Wars movie in my opinion, and a hexology is much more viscerally appealing than a septology. And I *think* it will but like I said, I have to try it. I encourage anyone who enjoyed TLJ to give it a try and let me know what they think.

That said, I am not attempting to suggest that this is the optimal Star Wars movie viewing experience by any means. The series is so many different things to so many different people, so if my take doesn’t resonate with you, that’s 100% cool. Just thought I’d share my takeaway from the Skywalker saga now that it’s (ostensibly) complete.
                  I could see this...though I would include Return of the Jedi.

But yea, I didn't like Rise of Skywalker as much as I'd hoped I would. I've seen it 3 times now (just to try to pay attention to certain details I think I missed from the hurried pace of the movie), and it's just not my most favorite. I don't hate it or anything, but it's not my most favorite.

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                  While I enjoyed TFA well enough and greatly value some elements of TLJ, I honestly feel like the entire sequel trilogy was kind of... purposeless. Obviously there were many more stories to tell in the Star Wars universe, but the sequels fell into the trap of trying to one-up the previous ones while also playing it safe and giving us the predictable "Star Wars experience". And it's kind of painfully obvious there was no plan for any of this beyond "make more Star Wars to earn us bucketloads of cash". Which, granted, worked like a charm.

The parts of TLJ that I enjoyed were Rey's subplot with Luke, which TROS apparently largely goes back on - "We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters". Was including them worth the entire spectacle? I'm not sure.
                  Yea...now after having seen the new trilogy as whole I'm not sure what the point of it was? I mean, I love The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, but at this point, I kind of wish they'd left the Skywalker Saga as Episodes 1-6 and just made new stories set in the same universe with all new characters.

Ah well, guess we'll see what they do with the next movies....

MrGone's Character Sheets
                  For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post

I could see this...though I would include Return of the Jedi. ....
                    Haha oops! I totally meant to.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
                      Yea...now after having seen the new trilogy as whole I'm not sure what the point of it was? I mean, I love The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, but at this point, I kind of wish they'd left the Skywalker Saga as Episodes 1-6 and just made new stories set in the same universe with all new characters.

Ah well, guess we'll see what they do with the next movies....
                      I'm hoping they start building on what they have. Maybe have Rey open a Jedi academy or something. Though I've also heard a lot of talk that Disney is considering reaching back into the Old Republic era and using some of that content for movies or another television show.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        So I heard Netflix had a new Dracula adaptation; I rather enjoyed the book, so I figured I'd give it a try.
                        That mini-series is basically everything wrong with Sherlock and Moffat's tenure as Dr Who showrunner turned up to 11.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                          That mini-series is basically everything wrong with Sherlock and Moffat's tenure as Dr Who showrunner turned up to 11.
                          Yeah…

I tried to sit through some more. Turns out that Harker was undead this whole time! (Big shocker, right?) And him having put his wooden stake in Dracula or not is of no significance whatsoever. The nun was just trying to find out if it was true that Dracula was vulnerable to the weaknesses attributed to vampires by superstition.

Dracula later screams at a bunch of nuns while naked outside their gate, and then uses Harker as a skin-suit to get past some wards.

“Jesus, Dracula, that wasn’t what Johnathan meant when he said ‘I want you inside me.’”

Fuck the remaining episodes. I’m not sitting through another second of it.

Comment

• Even if you don't find it offputting early on it goes amazingly off the rails in part 3, like it's difficult to describe the sheer trainwreck.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• So...a standard Steven Moffat series, then?

Steven Moffat: Ruining Classic British Characters Since 2007!

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I'm hoping they start building on what they have. Maybe have Rey open a Jedi academy or something. Though I've also heard a lot of talk that Disney is considering reaching back into the Old Republic era and using some of that content for movies or another television show.
                                Movies and shows set in the Old Republic era could be interesting, but to be perfectly frank I don't think I trust Disney with movies anymore. It sounds like they'll just keep producing massive spectacles with massive budgets but nothing particularly interesting to say. TLJ was a fluke in this regard that they're not likely to repeat. Besides, as much as I liked Rey's story with Luke, the other half of the film played it very safe - people whine a lot about it, but at the end of the day it discarded anything truly new for a repeat of the "scrappy rebels against the empire" storyline.

Shows are another story. I think Star Wars generally does best when it can step away from trying to figure out how to one-up the last big threat to the galaxy and scales down. Like in Rogue One, Rebels or (so I've heard) the Mandalorian.
                                Last edited by Morty; 01-09-2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X