Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Even before the coronavirus, there's been theorizing that Disney has been trying to find a way to pull out of the whole theater thing, with theaters eating too much into their profits, forcing them to work on release schedules that don't necessarily fit with their economic needs. The larger the company, the more a monthly fee will appeal to them. Right now theaters are just sort of something you have to do to be considered a "real" film but Disney's been putting out movies on their own channels for decades that they can now put out to the same people who only go to theaters for MCU movies, or who only watch reruns of the Simpsons, or want to be on niche things like Stranger Things and Mandalorian.
    Yea, that's very true. Disney has been doing straight to video for a loooooong time. So yea, I wouldn't be shocked if they just end up going all streaming, cept for maybe a few things that hit theaters, should they continue to exist.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Theaters are pretty outdated as is. As popular a past-time they are they're like rollercoasters and carnivals. Big expensive spaces devoted to extremely situational interests. Definitely going to need to retool if they want to do well past social distancing. A lot of theaters do things like show classic movies during matinees but I don't think it's really enough. Though if you're a big enough name you can glide on for years while not actually making any money so it's not like they're all going to close immediately. Whether they change, or shut down, I hope they make a decision rather than just linger on, lying about their successes until someone high up in a theater company decides that it's time to shutter things and kicks off a cascade of "surprise" shutdowns and layoffs, though that seems to be the preferred method of running businesses into the ground these days. Bleh.
    I'm with you I think. They need to decide something pretty soon. Covid isn't going anyway any time soon, and honestly, the theater experience has been pretty shitty for years now, so it's honestly just a lot better watching things at home. I only went for the big even movies... but I mean, I have a big tv at home and they all look just about as awesome on that.

So yea, they're going to have to do some drastic improvements to get someone like me back to a theater..

Originally posted by nofather View Post
    I really enjoyed the Wolf of Snow Hollow, I get the feeling there was some edits made to it due to the death of Robert Forster, but I haven't looked into it to be able to say whether that's true or not, so it's just a feeling. It still manages to be a good movie, mostly about the main character of the sheriff, played fantastically by Jim Cummings, who also wrote and directed. Has an interesting and weird charisma about him, definitely manages to play the "on the edge" character who keeps being pushed. Also wow Riki Lindhome, first of her I've seen in something that wasn't more obvious comedy, she did well.

<SNIP>

I suppose as a recommendation, aside from Wolf of Snow Hollow, I'd like to suggest Scare Me. Very small film, just a few actors, but pretty fun and entertaining, an approaching middle-age guy who wants to be a writer decides to rent a cabin to "get away from it all" and finally write the novel he's always wanted, and happens to be renting near a young woman who is a successful writer doing the same thing. There's a blackout and one comes over and they sort of brainstorm through the night. It's simple, no wild special effects or anything, but very good.

I'll have to check those out! Thanks for the recommendations!

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Drive-in theaters have been doing pretty well though.
    Yea!! Been hearing that! pretty cool.

I still steer clear of talking about it, because it seems like the alt-right's going to have a grudge against it forever.
    I don't blame you. The "fandom" for it seems pretty toxic lately... ugh.

He's been banned. Again.
    Ohhh... whoa..

It's far from my favorite, yeah.
    I put it just above the prequels in my rankings...

Cody's Showdy did a two-hour-plus Some More News movie about movies. Made me laugh, especially with regard to the Super Mario Brothers movie.
    I'll have to check it out.

Originally posted by ahather View Post
    re how cinemas are going to be after covid, I agree that they'e going to have to diversify, but then my local has been a gerenal arts centre with an art galery and live theatre for years now. looking forward to going to see a film there once it's safe mind, well and the right one to come along, I dont go and see films very often, the next one will probably be Dune, when that comes out.
    Your local theater sounds pretty awesome!

Star Wars - was not keen on tRoS, It wasnt walk out of the cinema bad, but it's bottom of the rankings when it comes to star wars for me.
    It's not all the way at the bottom for me, but close. It's mostly enjoyable, if you don't think about it too much... lol. The plot is a little nonsensical, and theres things I wish had been different. But, what are we gonna do?

Mandalorian Season 1 was really great though, and I will get round to watching season two when I can.
    So far season 2 has been pretty awesome! But yea, I LOVED season 1. Really excited to see where they go with the show....

MrGone's Character Sheets
    For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
      I'll have to check it out.
      Have you watched it yet?

Still working my way through Season 2 of Mandalorian as I have time. Just learned The Child's name.

He/him

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Have you watched it yet?
        Doh!! Totally spaced on watching it. I'll find it and add it to my to-watch list.

Still working my way through Season 2 of Mandalorian as I have time. Just learned The Child's name.
        Nice!! I really enjoyed this season! And yea...I was a little surprised they actually named him.

Comment

Doh!! Totally spaced on watching it. I'll find it and add it to my to-watch list.
          Let me save you some Googling.

He/him

Comment

Awww..thanks!! I appreciate it! Added it to my list!

Comment

• You know, between the A-in-a-circle background used in the previews for Cruella and the "Flag-Smashers" (yes, really) antagonists for Falcon & Winter Soldier series, it sure looks like Disney is building up something of a strawman to represent Anarchism.

He/him

Comment

You know, between the A-in-a-circle background used in the previews for Cruella and the "Flag-Smashers" (yes, really) antagonists for Falcon & Winter Soldier series, it sure looks like Disney is building up something of a strawman to represent Anarchism.
                the flag smashers were created the mid eighties actually

Comment

Thanks again btw. That was pretty fun. Sorry it took me a while to get to it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    the flag smashers were created the mid eighties actually
                    I'm very aware that a character called Flag Smasher was around then, but I don't expect a nuanced understanding of anarchist principles from Disney.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-20-2021, 08:21 PM.

He/him

Comment

You know, between the A-in-a-circle background used in the previews for Cruella and the "Flag-Smashers" (yes, really) antagonists for Falcon & Winter Soldier series, it sure looks like Disney is building up something of a strawman to represent Anarchism.
                      Likely. As Nicolas Milioni points out the Flag-Smashers were created in the mid-80s, but they were meant to represent anti-nationalism. Though I get the feeling the "media pushes a left wing agenda!" crowd only pipes up when there's women or people of color or any non-hetero sex involved, and will probably shrug off suggestions that this was anything other than a random choice that happens to coincide with topical events.

Comment

• Y'know the sad thing is, in his early appearances, Flag Smasher was actually someone that Captain America respected the principles of, but didn't agree on him using violence to achieve his anti-nationalist ideals (and apparently they even teamed up once or twice to face greater threats); it'd be nice if the Flag Smashers got as much of a "villain has a point" moment, but I'm skeptical that that's going to happen.

He/him

Comment

• Since it's relevant to the current topic, I will link to the "The Politics of Legend of Korra" series of videos by Kay And Skittles:
                          1. Book 1: Communism
                          2. Book 2: Colonization
                          3. Book 3: Anarchy
                          4. Book 4: Nationalism
                          The one about Anarchism is the most immediately relevant, but the whole series of videos lays the foundations for why the creative decisions in that show were made (or assumed to be made).

To sum up, creators that have no real understanding of political philosophy have a difficulty properly critiquing it. Hence why the villains who espouse them are made to be evil because they're either liars, or because they "take it too far". Such works also tend to uncritically position the current, Real Life status quo (i.e. Neo-Liberal Capitalism) as the "moderate" or morally superior position. A result of unexamined beliefs so foundational to the creators' world view, viable alternatives to the status quo cannot even be imagined. Let alone portrayed in any nuanced or accurate fashion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            Since it's relevant to the current topic, I will link to the "The Politics of Legend of Korra" series of videos by Kay And Skittles:
                            Thanks for posting those! Appreciate it!

Comment

• On a completely unrelated note, I recently watch a movie called 'The Kid Detective' I thought was really good. It's a bit of a dark comedy, but it has a nice noir-ish story to it. If you want a little more info, here is a Red Letter Media video on the movie (that I don't think gets too much into spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MFjQ9L-Po

Comment

On a completely unrelated note, I recently watch a movie called 'The Kid Detective' I thought was really good. It's a bit of a dark comedy, but it has a nice noir-ish story to it. If you want a little more info, here is a Red Letter Media video on the movie (that I don't think gets too much into spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MFjQ9L-Po

Wow, never caught, thanks for the tip. I'll take a look. I usually like this topic in films.

Comment

Working...
                                X