X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    The father/son part of the story sucked in the last one but the visuals and other things were fantastic, they really succeeded in making Godzilla seem like a disastrous force of nature, even if he was 'good.'

I like the slow pan of Rodan in the trailer, flying over homes and them being ripped up in its wake. I remember the original he goes ridiculously fast so it's nice that they're putting the emphasis on that.
    Originally posted by Cinder View Post
    My biggest pet peeve with the last one was that the trailers made it look like the viewpoint character of it would have been Bryan Cranston as a tormented scientist and instead we got to spend far too much time with his son, the emotionally blank soldier. But that was just one of the problems. Though I'm with you on the visuals and on Godzilla's representation: those were absolutely on point.

Trailer aside, I have more trust in this one because Kong: Skull Island happened in the meantime and it understood better the kind of movie people want these to be. You can make a point about the themes of the Kaiju genre without turning the movie into a snoozefest and, human characters or not (which I do think are needed), you still gotta show plenty of the monsters.
    Hhhhrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh.......

I have lots of messy and complicated thoughts regarding human characters in kaiju movies. Especially since for me, I was never as mad as everyone else was at how the Brodys were used...because I knew that every Godzilla movie ever has had similar issues with human characters. Which admittedly, it got to the point where I looked at some of the criticisms and was like:

"...are you guys new to Godzilla? Are you not aware this is a thing in pretty much every single goddamn Godzilla movie ever?"

Not to mention how Shin Godzilla had a similar issue of having boring human characters, but no one has said a thing about that. I'm tempted to call double standards because the prodigal son of Toho made the movie and thus the "pure, traditional Japanese way" people were being more lenient on it versus the American pretenders, Legendary Pictures.

Sadly I can't get into it now because it's essay length...and something I'm preparing for on a different site.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    My biggest pet peeve with the last one was that the trailers made it look like the viewpoint character of it would have been Bryan Cranston as a tormented scientist and instead we got to spend far too much time with his son, the emotionally blank soldier. But that was just one of the problems. Though I'm with you on the visuals and on Godzilla's representation: those were absolutely on point.

Trailer aside, I have more trust in this one because Kong: Skull Island happened in the meantime and it understood better the kind of movie people want these to be. You can make a point about the themes of the Kaiju genre without turning the movie into a snoozefest and, human characters or not (which I do think are needed), you still gotta show plenty of the monsters.

Rodan was great, the slow pan you mention is where I actually went "ooooooh". By the time Ghidorah, Charles Dance and Godzilla with the fighter jets behind happened, I was sold.

Lots of good trailers. I also liked Shazam's and Acquaman's

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    The father/son part of the story sucked in the last one but the visuals and other things were fantastic, they really succeeded in making Godzilla seem like a disastrous force of nature, even if he was 'good.'

I like the slow pan of Rodan in the trailer, flying over homes and them being ripped up in its wake. I remember the original he goes ridiculously fast so it's nice that they're putting the emphasis on that.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    The trailer for Godzilla: King of Monsters was so good I almost wept tears of joy.

I think I'm more hyped for that movie than for anything else that will come in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Sorry to Bother You was great.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus878
    replied
    Just saw Ant-Man and the Wasp. This might very well be the most fun movie in the MCU yet. I had a blast!

Spoiler:
    GOD DAMN THAT VIOLET BASTARD TO HELL

Leave a comment:

• ahather
    replied
    SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Not quite a movie... but this is a thing now.

I only loosely followed the original run... but GOD DAMN THE CHILLS!

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    The editor for Exalted Third Edition was in a Wes Anderson movie.
    Really? Cool!

*checks*

Wait, he was Dudley from The Royal Tenenbaums, a role that involved lots of scenes with Bill Murray himself. Awesome, I had no idea. Thanks for the trivia!

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    The editor for Exalted Third Edition was in a Wes Anderson movie.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    Watched "The Life Acquatic with Steve Zissou" again, as it always happens everytime it runs on TV.

I'm fond of Wes Anderson's movies, but The Life Acquatic is of my favorites in general. I know some other Anderson's movies are objectively better, but I just love that one.

Each time the movie gets to the climax and the Sigur Ros songs start, I get shamelessly emotional

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    They released a trailer for Ambiance.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Saw Incredibles 2 last night. I'd say it was about as good as the first one, and I just rewatched the first one a couple of hours before seeing the second one so it's not simply nostalgia goggles talking. The first movie holds up pretty well and the second one holds its own. If you're able to do so I'd highly recommend rewatching the first movie before going to see this one, since the second movie picks up at the exact moment the first movie left off, where a villain with a giant digging machine bursts out from underground.

The characters felt like the original characters, the story was pretty good with some nice moments for adults and kids. The movie didn't feel like a sequel so much as it felt like the "second half" to the first movie, just with a really, really long (15 year) intermission in between. There are a lot of themes and moments in Incredibles 2 that are similar to Incredibles 1, but the focus is on Elastigirl, instead of Mr. Incredible. If you were to say that the first movie was about Mr. Incredible and his wife, and the second movie is about Elastigirl and her husband. And, of course, the kids saving the day in both movies.

I didn't have any major complaints, and it's been awhile since the last time I saw a movie and didn't have any major issues. I had a couple of really minor ones, but they're not particularly worth mentioning. The biggest thing Pixar dropped the ball on was a scene with lots of flashing blue and red lights, which apparently can induce epileptic seizures(!) and I'm not sure how Pixar managed to miss that. The scene in question was a punch to the visual circuits and, honestly, they probably went a little overboard on it, though it was still really impressive. I think that if you were a fan of the first movie, it's hard to imagine not enjoying the second one.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    It's really late around here and I'm gonna pay the price tomorrow at work, but there was "A Straight Story" on TV and I tried to find and watch that movies for ages. Finally.

I don't have many words to spend about it but it was beautiful. Just beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
    I never watched the cartoon so I was completely blindslided by it. I guess bringing Darth Maul back as a villain of the week in a cartoon aimed at kids is still kind of dumb, but but ultimately somewhat forgivable. Cartoons do pretty dumb things all the time so I don't expect anything out of them to begin with. But doubling down on it and having him show up in the movie was just a terrible decision. I would have been just as unhappy if Mace Windu or Count Dooku or the Emperor had appeared, fine and well, in Episode 7 or 8. Sad because up until that point I was somewhat enjoying the Han Solo movie, but then they just dropped this giant, steaming turd in my lap.

Sorry you didn't care for it. I wasn't big into the idea when they first announced his return way back when, but they ended doing some really great stuff with him in both Clone Wars and Rebels.

I'd honestly recommend looking into the story arcs he appears in. Just watch some youtube videos or read a few articles. I thought what they did with him was pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X