Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    If you're looking for a Hercules film in which an oiled-up Dwayne Johnson punches a rabid wolf in the face, then step right up, you strange, strange person.
    Sold.

*No Garou were harmed in the making of this film, except for Phil. Dwayne Johnson punched him right in the fucking face. Rite of Contrition: Done.*

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
    - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
    (She/Her)

Comment

• 6 Common movie arguments that are always wrong!

Agree or disagree?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post

Mine too! I just wish Lucas would have for me as an adult too. He made such great movies back in the day....wonder what happened?
        He argued with the union too much and prevented Steven Spielberg from directing Return of the Jedi, thus preventing any and all input he would have from then forward.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
        - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
          So one thing that's been bugging me for a while is that Indy doesn't actually seem all that important to the resolution of the plot.
          I mean sure, he's there, he does heroic things and romances the girl, but in Raiders and Last Crusade, the villains are all done in not by Indy's actions,
          but by the very macguffin they've been seeking.

If Indy hadn't been there, the Nazis still would have obtained the ark and opened it, getting fried in the process.
          All the baddies would have either died to the traps in the canyon of the Crescent Moon, Chosen Poorly, or been swallowed by the earth for going beyond the great seal.
          Indy didn't need to interact with the plot at all - it would have ended the exact same way.

And then I realized it WOULD NOT have ended the same way, in fact in a very BAD way, because of one factor - People.

If Indiana had not found Marion and rescued her in Raiders, she would have been tortured and killed by the Gestapo for the medallion. The Nazis had already captured Indy's dad
          in Crusade; indeed, that was the whole reason he embarked on the whole adventure - to rescue his dad. Jones Sr. certainly couldn't have survived all that on his own; he would
          have been just as dead as Marion.

And that is the true measure of Indiana Jones' accomplishments. He doesn't save Things, he saves People. He was only mildly interested in the Grail until his dad disappeared, and he would have
          let the Nazis have the Ark if they let Marion go.

Indiana brought the people he loved safely through the darkest part of their lives, and in the end, that is the true measure of a Hero.
          They used that one on Big Bang Theory recently. I had another counter-argument to yours (but yours is also an excellent point).
          The Nazis would NOT have found the Staff of Ra without Indy. They had no clue where to even begin looking. They were trying to find Abner Ravenwood. How many people were going to look for a respected archaeologist with a rare Egyptian artifact in a bar in Tibet? By the time they tracked down Marion, the war probably would have been over. Indy, however, being still totally in love with and obsessed with her, knew exactly where to go. Oh, and did anyone else notice Herr Toht (the guy in the glasses and black hat) was on the same plane as Indy? THE NAZIS LET THE ALLIES GET THAT MESSAGE!!! They knew Indy would know where to find Abner and Marion and planned to follow him all along. If he hadn't picked up and left, they would have been running their little fascist asses off trying to track down the daughter of a dead man IN A BAR IN TIBET!!!

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
          - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
            Just from the titles, those do sound like rather flimsy arguments.

Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post
            I had another counter-argument to yours
            Hm. The argument seems to presume that Indy was the ONLY one who knew where the Ravenwoods were, which I find a little bit unlikely. Indy was the ONLY person Abner and Marion were close to that was still alive and could be found?
            They probably just followed Indy because he both had a personal history with the Ravenwoods AND would have wanted to find the Ark, so he would have traveled there as fast as he could. But that's just my reaction; it could be true.

Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post
            (but yours is also an excellent point)
            Yay! x2
            Last edited by Prometheus878; 07-25-2014, 03:14 PM.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post

Mine too! I just wish Lucas would have for me as an adult too. He made such great movies back in the day....wonder what happened?
              When you finally realize that the reason you always try to play a sword wielding magic user in games is because of Star Wars you realize just how fucked up a kids influence can be and how long they last. Even now knowing this I cant stop myself from doing it.

Now excuse me while I go kill a great white shark with a lightsaber to the score from Harry Potter while a glowing finger alien is swayed by a Jamaican sounding alien with a speech impediment to turn control of the galaxy over to a despot.

Maybe aliens will find my remains in 50 thousand years and turn me into a real boy too.

Forever and always forward.
              Don't ask why that came to mind or that I felt the need to post it.
              I see the incorporeally challenged.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorwen View Post
                When you finally realize that the reason you always try to play a sword wielding magic user in games is because of Star Wars you realize just how fucked up a kids influence can be and how long they last. Even now knowing this I cant stop myself from doing it.
                Yes! Whenever I boot up a game with character creation, I almost always go for a melee-magic user with strong morality and a code of honor, and now I know why!

And if there's any kind of rogue on my team, they better act more like Robin Hood than Dick Turpin.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

• Originally posted by Papa Bear View Post

He argued with the union too much and prevented Steven Spielberg from directing Return of the Jedi, thus preventing any and all input he would have from then forward.
                  I knew that Spielberg was set to direct RotJ (and I'm still working on my Parallel World Machine so that I can get to the timeline where that DID happen!), and that he couldn't because he was a member of the Director's Guild, for whatever reason that blocked him from doing so. But I never heard that Lucas was the cause of that problem...

(They should have just done what Robert Rodriguez did when the Guild told him he couldn't direct a scene in his best bud Tarantino's film: Quit! Why should those guys get to dictate what contributions to movie history they get to make? Well, it was a different time I guess...)

Originally posted by Sorwen
                  Now excuse me while I go kill a great white shark with a lightsaber to the score from Harry Potter while a glowing finger alien is swayed by a Jamaican sounding alien with a speech impediment to turn control of the galaxy over to a despot.

Maybe aliens will find my remains in 50 thousand years and turn me into a real boy too.
                  I got all those references except for the bolded part...

Comment

• Jar Jar Binks.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimB View Post
                      Jar Jar Binks.
                      Where?! [spins around]

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, I get it.

Comment

• I have seen Lucy. And it didn't suck.
                        Less violent than I thought it'd be. And more...preachy, or philosophical if you will.
                        And all Johansson.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

• So, Wonder Woman:

Overall I think she looks pretty well for the role. My personal vision of a "real life" WW would be more muscular, but that is not a big deal. The armor looks good in my opinion, more complex and ornate than I would do it, but such detailed designs tend to work fairly well in film. A nit to pick: I don't like the boot soles, would prefer if they were flat or nearly flat.

Now, what I would really like is for the armor in the actual movie to have much more vivid colors than in this poster. Get some real red and gold in there. Superman's outfit in Man of Steel was very muted, though, so I shouldn't expect much.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowflame View Post
                            I have seen Lucy. And it didn't suck.
                            Less violent than I thought it'd be. And more...preachy, or philosophical if you will.
                            And all Johansson.
                            I want to see Lucy.

Rexburg doesn't show any R-rated movies at its theaters. :-(

"For these reasons, the trade of a soldier is held the most honourable of all others; because a soldier is a Yahoo hired to kill, in cold blood, as many of his own species, who have never offended him, as possibly he can." ― from "Gulliver's Travels"

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post
                              So, Wonder Woman:
                              Something about that image bugs me...

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Working...
                              X