Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logan was so, SO good.

It was everything I wanted in a Wolverine movie and then some.

Fuck. I would kill for a television series starring some of the characters.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• I finally watched The Nice Guys after missing it in theaters and absolutely loved it. The whole thing basically felt like a brilliant Fiasco playset being played on screen, and it managed to make me hate Ryan Gosling a little bit less.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
        Logan was so, SO good.

It was everything I wanted in a Wolverine movie and then some.
        Totally with you! Two words: Bezerker Rage!

I thought it was a great send off for Hugh Jackmans version of the character. He's really done the character justice(X-Men Origins Wolverine aside). It was dark, brutal, and a little depressing...which is probably how it should be.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        I finally watched The Nice Guys after missing it in theaters and absolutely loved it. The whole thing basically felt like a brilliant Fiasco playset being played on screen, and it managed to make me hate Ryan Gosling a little bit less.
        Watched it when it came out and highly enjoyed it!!

MrGone's Character Sheets
        For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
          Totally with you!
          Personally, I'm worried that D.C. will continue in its fantastical streak of failures to understand what makes a good movie good, and try to ride the coattails of Logan's success.

I predict a depressingly-grimdark Lobo movie set in the dystopian future.

In unrelated news, is anyone else annoyed at Disney's revelation that LeFou will be their first openly gay character in the upcoming Beauty and the Beast? Not because inclusivity is terrible or something - being inclusive is great! - but because no, Disney, you are not in fact breaking new ground by having a gay villain or gay comic relief or gay comic relief villain.

Yes, Disney is due for an LGBT character to stand in the spotlight - in fact, it's overdue. But deciding to have the representative for gays in the Disney universe be an obnoxious little troll (who plays the part of worshipful lackey to a pompous, illiterate misogynyst who doesn't know when to stop working out), a character whose name literally means "The Fool," that's a fucking mistake.

(Honestly, having him be attracted to Gaston does feel sensible, though - I suppose I'd be more down with it if LeFou wasn't the only such character mentioned. LGBT characters have been the villains or comic relief of movies for as long as they've been in movies.)

Incidentally, Disney really missed their chance at having their first LGBT character in the part of Marlin in Finding Nemo. Clownfish naturally change sex based on the needs of their group, with the largest being the female, and the next largest becoming female should the worst happen. Finding Nemo could have been the story of a fish finding allies to support her in her transition while on a search for her son.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-10-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Well, saw Beauty and the Beast.

The supposed explicit gay moment for Josh Gadd's LeFou? It's about three seconds of dancing with another man and smiling prior to the closing credits. Scandalous!

How does briefly having a male dance partner in a ballroom-type dance make you gay? Also, it wasn't like LeFou cut in so he could dance with this guy - it was the other way around.

I do appreciate that he's rather less villainous than his cartoon counterpart, raising objections to Gaston when Gaston wants to throw Maurice to the wolves; in fact, he even switches sides after Gaston betrays him.

And there is a lot of gay subtext in the movie, mind - LeFou spends a lot of time admiring Gaston and making excuses for why he's still a bachelor, and Josh Gadd does a good job bringing that across.

But hey, enough about LeFou being gay; the director made a point of saying how tired he is of being badgered about it, and hey, aren't all these interracial couples worth mention? Well, okay, then - I can't help but notice, Mr. Director, that they all seem to be white men and black women, and not the other way around. But to be fair, I only just got out of the movie, my first time seeing it, and I wasn't particularly keeping my eyes peeled for interracial couples, so I might have missed one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good movie, and they fixed quite a few of the plot holes of the original. I just wish they'd handled the spoilered elements a little better.
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-17-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• I saw John Wick 1 and 2 recently. I enjoyed them, not high art or feel-good summer blockbusters, but they had great action.

Aaaannnnddd I'm watching Band of Brothers. Again. Seriously, Spielberg has me on lockdown.

Possibly going to see Logan and Kong when(if) I recover from my latest illness*.

*What even is this Winter? Jeez!*

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• 5 episodes into Iron Fist on Netflix and I'm loving it. I'm a pretty big Iron Fist fan, and I wasn't exactly enamored with the choice of Finn Jones(I wanted someone more athletic), but I think he's done a decent job. Fight choreography is hit or miss, but I'm enjoying it. More than Luke Cage, which I found to get boring after a few episodes, and Jessica Jones, who I watched and enjoyed only for the Purple Man who was a fantastic villain.

Daredevil is still king to me, in the Netflix Marvel area. Especially the fantastic season 2.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Ethan Embry out of nowhere!

I just saw the Devil's Candy on Amazon and man is it good. Chilling and brutal, found out it was written and directed by the same guy who made the Loved Ones, which doesn't surprise me a bit, that was also a great movie. There's some heavy religious undertones, that's partly what the movie is about, but it doesn't get preachy. Ethan Embry plays a Rob Zombie-esque painter who's a great husband and father, even if he struggles to support the family financially, and the close family moves to a house out in the country only somewhat recently evacuated by a mentally disturbed man who lost his parents, played excellently by Pruitt Taylor Vince. He's a 'that guy' and even if the name isn't familiar everyone's seen him, IMDB shows him with 100 acting credits and that's counting individual shows and movies not each appearance. Something seems to be influencing Vince's character, Ray, and it starts influencing Embry's character, Jesse. There's some definite Amityville vibes at first but it dovetails with, I suppose, some Exorcist 3 or something, I can't pin the other one down. It's pretty unique, and I was not expecting it to be as good as it was, or as thrilling. I think they really balanced the moods throughout the movie well, which served to keep the ending up in the air better.

Also, I saw We Go On a while ago and that was also very good, very memorable. Main character is a man who, gripped with fear of dying, offers a bounty in the newspaper for anyone who can show him some tangible evidence of life after death. He narrows the responses down to three possibilities and the first half of the movie is about him seeking them out. That part of the journey is pretty pat, though well handled. The rest is pleasantly surprising. I don't know who the main character was played by, but his mom features prominently in it, having raised him alone for most of his life and figuring he needs to be watched over so he doesn't get taken advantage of in his mission. She was played by the actress who played Martha Kent on Smallville, and one of the first people the protagonist goes to see was a professor, played by John Glover, who played Lex Luthor's father Lionel in Smallville. Was interesting seeing them together again.
                  Last edited by nofather; 03-19-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• Just saw the new Power Rangers.

Spoilers, for something that happens in the first five minutes.

Does TV Tropes have a page yet for "a character tries to milk what he thinks is a cow, but it's actually a bull?" I did like three searches just now and didn't find it.

Truth be told, I'm getting fed up with this weird and overly specific animal-masturbation joke.

Comment

• Do they add Tropes anymore or is it just commenting on existing ones? I was looking for something representing the 'make a protagonist choose between letting villain go or letting someone die' trope and was surprised not to see it, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        Do they add Tropes anymore or is it just commenting on existing ones? I was looking for something representing the 'make a protagonist choose between letting villain go or letting someone die' trope and was surprised not to see it, either.
                        New tropes are added as they're approved, but I was just trying to make sure one way before the other before I suggested it.

Comment

• So! I finally watched the new Ghostbusters movie on Monday.

The pacing and style was of course *way* different from the first one.

Generally I'd say it was a good/decent movie. Not great. Not something that's gonna have the staying power of the original, but good. Overall? I'd honestly rate it around about Ghostbusters 2 level, maybe slightly lower.

On the negative side:

With all the bloody cameos and endless original referencing it felt like the writers were trying to give the original a tongue bath while they hugged close their Original Ghostbusters body pillows, moaning sweet nothings to themselves.

Some of the characters needed better rounding/background. The subway worker for example, she's filling in the Local Area Knowledge Expert role, but if it was mentioned WHY she had all that information it was a brief one-shot that I missed.

On the positive side:

I *much* prefer the presentation of tech progress in this one over the original. in the original it's just "hey we scanned a ghost, now we can build all these weapons ideally suited to combat them!", but in this one you get a lot more "yeah, this stuff is work in progress".

The Engineer character/actor was spot on. 9/10, would want as a crazy engineer in any movie. Also several of us commented that if they remade Tank Girl she'd be perfect for the role.

On the general side:

The style is very different. With the exception of Venkman in the original, everything was "straight" humour... meaning they were playing the characters straight and the humour was part of that deadpan delivery, where as in this one it's MUCH more self-aware humour and jokes. If this is better or worse is purely a subjective and personal thing, and in my case at least can vary on mood at the time.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            New tropes are added as they're approved, but I was just trying to make sure one way before the other before I suggested it.
                            It's the Sadistic Choice trope.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                            - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                              So! I finally watched the new Ghostbusters movie on Monday.

The pacing and style was of course *way* different from the first one.

Generally I'd say it was a good/decent movie. Not great. Not something that's gonna have the staying power of the original, but good. Overall? I'd honestly rate it around about Ghostbusters 2 level, maybe slightly lower.
                              I'd definitely rate it below Ghostbusters 2...

Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                              On the negative side:

With all the bloody cameos and endless original referencing it felt like the writers were trying to give the original a tongue bath while they hugged close their Original Ghostbusters body pillows, moaning sweet nothings to themselves.

Some of the characters needed better rounding/background. The subway worker for example, she's filling in the Local Area Knowledge Expert role, but if it was mentioned WHY she had all that information it was a brief one-shot that I missed.
                              Totally with you. Plus, I hated Chris Hemsworth character. No one that stupid could live. He was very annoying...

Originally posted by Odd_Canuck View Post
                              On the positive side:

I *much* prefer the presentation of tech progress in this one over the original. in the original it's just "hey we scanned a ghost, now we can build all these weapons ideally suited to combat them!", but in this one you get a lot more "yeah, this stuff is work in progress".

The Engineer character/actor was spot on. 9/10, would want as a crazy engineer in any movie. Also several of us commented that if they remade Tank Girl she'd be perfect for the role.
                              Totally with you on this as well! The work-in-progress feel of the tech was great(even if some of the scenes of them testing it were dumb). And I really liked Kate McKinnon's character, she was great! And oh yea, if they remade Tank Girl I think she could pull it off!

MrGone's Character Sheets
                              For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Just rewatched midnight Son for the first time in years - still a great movie
                                Last edited by LordOfAsh; 03-29-2017, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X