No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Ghost in the Shell is pretty good, it drifts away from the base material at points but over all its a solid flick.

Comment

• Is it wrong that the new trailer for The Mummy gave me high hopes? Because I want so much for it to be a good movie that my judgment might be impaired, but I honestly liked that trailer

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

• Saw the new Ghost in the Shell. I liked it a lot!

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
          Is it wrong that the new trailer for The Mummy gave me high hopes? Because I want so much for it to be a good movie that my judgment might be impaired, but I honestly liked that trailer
          No. I just saw the trailer, the movie looks like it'll be great for what it is. I don't have any particular investment in saying so, though I am a Tom Cruise fan. I wouldn't expect any soul-moving moments that will change your life but in terms of a supernatural action movie? Definitely going to be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

No. I just saw the trailer, the movie looks like it'll be great for what it is. I don't have any particular investment in saying so, though I am a Tom Cruise fan. I wouldn't expect any soul-moving moments that will change your life but in terms of a supernatural action movie? Definitely going to be good.
            Cool, this means I'm not alone on this. My friends strongly disagree with me as they would rather have a new Brendan Fraser's Mummy and are not giving this a chance. I sure will.

Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Comment

Is it wrong that the new trailer for The Mummy gave me high hopes? Because I want so much for it to be a good movie that my judgment might be impaired, but I honestly liked that trailer
              I also liked the new trailer, especially because it makes it seem like more of a straight up horror movie than a generic action-adventure (the use of "Paint it Black" definitely helped). The Brendan Fraser Mummy movies were great for what they were, which is pulpy, witty action movies, and they didn't really pretend to be anything else. This is still ignoring that Imhotep was a charismatic villain with really great presence. Also, the actress they have playing Ahmanet was the best part of Star Trek Beyond, so I have no problem watching just to see more of her being awesome.

Not sure if I'm sold on the "Universal Monsters Universe" concept, I'll probably pretend Russell Crowe isn't Dr. Henry Jeckyll and is instead a stand-in for the Museum Director in the first Brendan Fraser Mummy movie, but I'll probably watch it just for the atmosphere they seem to have going. It feels very Mummy: The Curse with a Deceived protagonist.

Comment

• I'm a big dork when it comes to Universal Monsters, as they're a relevant part of my childhood. So while I'm not exactly sold with the concept of Marvel-style shared universe, I do hope they're gonna do it well. The mature, educated and jaded part of me is doubtful. The kid part just wants to see more movies about them. So it's a "fingers crossed" situation for me.

Ahmanet looks great. I liked her actress both in Kingsman and Star Trek and I too will look forward for it to gather some Mummy: The Curse's visuals and atmosphere. You know you're a fan when you start to look at all monsters in terms of CoD splats.

Comment

I'm a big dork when it comes to Universal Monsters, as they're a relevant part of my childhood. So while I'm not exactly sold with the concept of Marvel-style shared universe, I do hope they're gonna do it well. The mature, educated and jaded part of me is doubtful. The kid part just wants to see more movies about them. So it's a "fingers crossed" situation for me.
                  It can't be much worse than that Van Helsing movie with Hugh Jackman that recently came out.

*EDIT* Recently. I just looked and it came out 13 years ago, back in 2004. Wow. Time flies, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

It can't be much worse than that Van Helsing movie with Hugh Jackman that recently came out.

*EDIT* Recently. I just looked and it came out 13 years ago, back in 2004. Wow. Time flies, right?
                    13?!

Excuse me as I have an epiphany about time and getting old.

Ahem.

No, I guess not. As far as attempts at a shared universe go, that one was not exactly without issues. It had its perks but boy, I sure can't look at it in the same way I did when I was thirteen.

Comment

• Finally just saw Get Out, thank you, Amazon. Excellent horror flick, hit all the right beats, great writing and acting. I think making it about
                      mind control, at least in part
                      made a lot of sense and gave it a lot more impact than using some other plot device. Nice to see Daniel Kaluuya in something else, too, he was fun as Tealeaf in Psychoville, very sad what happened to his character. Pleasant surprise to see Stephen Root, too, he's in so much though.

Think the whole 'meeting the parents' thing was a great choice, reminded me of You're Next and, obviously, the awkwardness is tilted for comedy in Meet the Parents. I still remember going to see my wife's parents in this small town in the country. We went out to the movies one day and I couldn't get the thought, 'The Innsmouth Look' out of my head. Everyone was pale, flabby-skinned, with small, thin heads and bulging eyes. Creepy as hell. Apparently one of the towns claims to fame was that the Siamese Twins lived there and, apparently, really got around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        Makes sense. Sorry, saw that goddamn King Arthur movie earlier, and it's probably left me a bit touchy.
                        What didn't you like about it? I haven't seen it yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          What didn't you like about it? I haven't seen it yet.
                          According to my wife: Basically everything.

Comment

Ahmanet looks great. I liked her actress both in Kingsman and Star Trek and I too will look forward for it to gather some Mummy: The Curse's visuals and atmosphere. You know you're a fan when you start to look at all monsters in terms of CoD splats.
                            In my fantasy version of the film, Ahmanet would be the hero, while the villain would be someone else from Egypt (maybe even Imhotep). Now Ahmanet has to save this unfamiliar world she's woken up in, only this annoying pasty dude keeps complicating her life.

In other news, Wonder Woman rocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                              In my fantasy version of the film, Ahmanet would be the hero, while the villain would be someone else from Egypt (maybe even Imhotep). Now Ahmanet has to save this unfamiliar world she's woken up in, only this annoying pasty dude keeps complicating her life.
                              I like this plot. It sounds way better than the one it looks like we're going to get, with Tom Cruise gaining supernatural powers that are somehow greater than those of the being that gave them to him. The image of Tom Cruise as "Heroic MummyTM" is just the opposite of appealing to me.

Comment

• So, I saw Wonder Woman today. Now, speaking as someone who stayed away from non-Disney non-Marvel superhero movies since Dark Knight Rises, my opinion is that this movie:

Is okay. On a scale of 0 to 5, 0 being complete garbage and 5 being an instant classic, I'd rate this movie as a 3: enjoyable, had its moments, but wasn't really "jaw-dropping."

Aside from being the first major superhero movie headlined by a woman, which is cool.

Edit: I'll add that it's pretty good inspiration for a Greco-Roman Scion.
                                Last edited by Prometheus878; 06-27-2017, 02:09 PM.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Working...
                                X