No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw a pre-screening of Spider-Man Homecoming. Awesome movie, nifty bit of MCU worldbulding with Vulture that doesn't seem bloated, and the movie still feels self contained despite Tony Stark and others who remain unnamed getting some work done on their character arcs. I haven't heard an audience laugh that hard in a theatre for most obstensive comedies I've seen. Absolutely nailed both the Peter Parker and Spider-Man personalities. All of the high school bits feel clever, funny, and genuine, at least from my perspective as a high school science teacher. I actually believe this Peter Parker as a tenth grader trying be a superhero. Supporting cast is diverse and stellar. Hilarious final stinger.

Solid movie, must see if you are a Spider-Man or MCU fan. I'd say 4/5 stars.
    Last edited by Second Chances; 07-06-2017, 11:43 AM.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Saw Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Spectacularly Terrible.

Comment

• Saw Spider-man: Homecoming. LOVED it. Was happy that Tony Stark had far less screen time than I thought he would.

Only gripe: Flash Thompson. Like, holy shit was that a bad choice.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
          Saw Spider-man: Homecoming. LOVED it. Was happy that Tony Stark had far less screen time than I thought he would.

Only gripe: Flash Thompson. Like, holy shit was that a bad choice.
          Eh, I liked the way Flash was portrayed. I don't think the jackass jock would have made sense in the school they were trying to portray and I thought the actor did a good job getting the essence of that character in a different interpretation.

Totally agree on Tony though. I enjoyed him every time he showed up, but they never overused him, which was awesome. This was clearly Spider-Man's movie where Iron Man happened to be a supporting character.

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Every time my girlfriend asks me what I want to eat I say "Okja," because I'm a bad girlfriend.

The movie's good, by the way. Not Bong Joon-ho's best work (and not worth the unfortunate hit to his reputation) but worth your time.

she/her

Comment

• Saw Jurassic World last night. I have a hard time appreciating great special effects after years of bulling through bad ones. The story, or at least the characterization, was a bit old fashioned, in a bad sense. Did anyone else feel the same? Some posters seemed enthused about seeing it but never posted afterwards.

For some reason we were on a lazy Star Binge, seeing Rogue One and the last two Star Trek movies over the past month or so. I'm not that big of a Star Wars fan but I thought Rogue One was pretty good, if it had any failing it was the instant weird and one-sided romance between the main characters. The storm troopers were weird. The Trek movies were good, like I mentioned above I thought Into The Darkness was better than Beyond.
              Last edited by nofather; 07-07-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• There's definitely been a lot written about how badly Jurassic World handles gender. I'm not really an action person to begin with so I didn't expect to love it, but it definitely soured the movie for me.

Someone way more astute than I am pointed out that Rogue One is a very plot driven movie with strong characters and a weak plot. I actually don't even remember a romance, but I walked away from it feeling like they had set up some really cool characters and failed to utilize them. Apparently the studio meddled extensively with it, but maybe we'll get a director's cut in a decade or so.

Between that, the directors of Han Solo being fired for trying to put their stamp on it, and Edgar Wright getting booted off Ant-Man so Disney could make an altogether more generic movie, I think we're going to see fewer notable directors gravitate toward these big franchise projects and they'll just hire competent "workmen" to begin with. Not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.

she/her

Comment

• Originally posted by Manic Pixie Dreamcast View Post
                  Between that, the directors of Han Solo being fired for trying to put their stamp on it, and Edgar Wright getting booted off Ant-Man so Disney could make an altogether more generic movie, I think we're going to see fewer notable directors gravitate toward these big franchise projects and they'll just hire competent "workmen" to begin with. Not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.
                  Well, whatever and whoever was working on Spider-man: Homecoming, it worked. That movie is phenomenal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manic Pixie Dreamcast View Post
                    Someone way more astute than I am pointed out that Rogue One is a very plot driven movie with strong characters and a weak plot. I actually don't even remember a romance, but I walked away from it feeling like they had set up some really cool characters and failed to utilize them. Apparently the studio meddled extensively with it, but maybe we'll get a director's cut in a decade or so.
                    I wasn't aware but am not surprised. Not liking the whole studio meddling aspect lately. I'm sure it's been going on for decades but when it does happen now it seems the public hears about it more frequently.

That's a good point. There's a lot more independent stuff out there, or at least smaller studios, and it seems like technologically they're capable of doing at least some of the same things that the bigger ones do.

Everyone here who posted about it seemed to like Ghost in the Shell so I guess that's next.

Comment

• The Shape Of Water is the Abe Sapien AU fanfic I did not know I wanted in my life. Plus little doses of Lovecraft in a way that the old man himself would have never imagined to happen, which makes me giggle.

Gotta love when the things you love align with those a successful director loves.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

• So Bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko is basically Will Smith as a cop in the Shadowrun 2020s with an Orc partner.

My Savannah Setting can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules can be found here

Comment

• Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
                          So Bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko is basically Will Smith as a cop in the Shadowrun 2020s with an Orc partner.
                          I have to admit when I first heard about it I thought it was a really stupid idea. Especially since RIPD just came out. I was thinking Men in Black with orcs instead of aliens, similar to how RIPD was MIB with ghosts. This seems much cooler, and Ayer is good at this kind of thing. I'll reluctantly admit Landis is as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

I have to admit when I first heard about it I thought it was a really stupid idea. Especially since RIPD just came out. I was thinking Men in Black with orcs instead of aliens, similar to how RIPD was MIB with ghosts. This seems much cooler, and Ayer is good at this kind of thing. I'll reluctantly admit Landis is as well.
                            ​looks like non-romance urban fantasy is finally becoming mainstream, and right as nu white wolf rejected the label too. but yeah, it seems to be a gritty cop drama with fantasy elements, as opposed to another MiB knockoff.

My Savannah Setting can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules can be found here

Comment

• Avengers: Infinity War trailer. My God is it AMAZING.

Thor: Ragnarok looks fantastic, too. I heard good things about Black Panther's footage, but have yet to see it.

As for Justice League...everything I've seen screams "NO" to me. Unfortunately for DC, I have a feeling JL is going to bring them back down to earth, after Wonder Woman did so much good.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
                                So Bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko is basically Will Smith as a cop in the Shadowrun 2020s with an Orc partner.
                                I don't think a movie trailer has ever made me this uncomfortable this quickly.

she/her

Comment

Working...
                                X