Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Manic Pixie Dreamcast View Post

I don't think a movie trailer has ever made me this uncomfortable this quickly.
    I can understand that; the subtext here is so overt it's basically text. Also the concept is cheesy as all get-out.

Still, it might be interesting.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
      Avengers: Infinity War trailer. My God is it AMAZING.

Thor: Ragnarok looks fantastic, too. I heard good things about Black Panther's footage, but have yet to see it.

As for Justice League...everything I've seen screams "NO" to me. Unfortunately for DC, I have a feeling JL is going to bring them back down to earth, after Wonder Woman did so much good.
      The only reason I haven't seen Spider-Man: Homecoming yet is that I'm waiting to get new glasses so I can properly appreciate it.

Marvel movies = <3

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Since I've heard absolutely nothing about it I'm guessing Alien: Covenant was a disappointment?

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
          Since I've heard absolutely nothing about it I'm guessing Alien: Covenant was a disappointment?
          For me, a huge one. I can elaborate if you want, but I'll go in rant mode.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
          Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
            For me, a huge one. I can elaborate if you want, but I'll go in rant mode.
            Please do, if it's not a bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

Please do, if it's not a bother.

Alright. Gonna need a Spoiler tag.

I went to watch it expecting a Ridley Scott rejuvenated and enlightened by The Martian. Huge mistake. Prometheus was kind of a mess, but I still liked it. I liked the risks it took and, more than anything, I liked the questions it asked. The execution had plenty of flaws, but still. Covenant throws all the good sides of Prometheus away.

The plot begins with this colonial ship that going to the planet chosen to be mankind's new home after years of studies. There's an incident along the way that forces the ship's android Walter, which looks exactly like David from Prometheus (Fassbender does both roles), to wake crew out of their crio-sleep. Too bad that this allows them to receive a signal from a planet that's somehow closer than their destination and yet apparently just as much fitting for colonization. How scientists back home missed this one, none can say. They decide to go there because plot and they behave exactly the opposite you expect qualified personel to do: no masks, no protection, splitting all the time and ignoring completely all their security protocols.

This is not anything new, but nowadays it's insulting. There's willing disbelief for the sake of drama and there's idiocy. I swear many people in the theater actually shouted "why would you do that?" several times as the movie went on. Alien had the decency to throw company conspiracies and emotions as explanation for the issues, Covenant does not (even less than Prometheus did). A good step to do the intellectual sci-fi Scott wants to do is to not take your viewers for idiots, but apparently he has not learned the lesson.

So, turns out the whole planet was infected by the black goo from Prometheus and the bio-weapon altered the flora to spread a pseudo-xenomorph infection. Since people go around poking at putrescent flowers, some get infected. The monster spawned are vicious but feral and, during a fight, a figure scares them with a strong light. The survivors follow this figure while some of the crew remain in orbit, unable to land because of a huge storm. The figure, revealed to be David from the previous film. leads them to a ruined city full of corpses.

Stuff happens but this is the long story short: after flying away from Prometheus planet, Noomi Rapace's character rebuilt David's body. They went to the homeplanet of the race which created the black goo and wanted to destroy us looking for answers. Turns out that planet is the one where the movie is set. Too bad that once they arrived David unleashed all the black goo over the population, because fuck the organics. Yes, the complex of hate/love towards his creator and search for a meaning of life as a syntethical life form became a full-fledged "destroy all sentient beings" between the movies because reasons. They try to give a "I was created by the humans just as they were created by these aliens and I affirm my superiority by killing them both" but it's pretentious crap with no real fundament. And what is David's plan to achieve greatness? Well, he engineered a species by tinkering with the black goo and the DNA of living creatures to create...the Xenomorphs themselves. Yes. David the android made the Aliens. He rants about "the perfect species" like any mad scientist in his place would do. He also killed the protagonist of Prometheus to use her for experiments, making that movie 100% pointless.

He leads some of the crew to the eggs and they follow him even after knowing he's a psycho, then Alien happens. The crew's android and David fight, the protagonists fights the Alien, then the ship comes down and saves them. But wait, an Alien has managed to enter, giving them an excuse to replicate Alien's third act. Once they're done, they return to sleep only to discover too late that David killed Walter and pretended to be him. A predictable plot twist that several scenes before made even more predictable, and yet the characters ignore all the signs it's happening.

Movie ends with David having a whole ship filled with frozen people and his collection of Alien eggs to make his experiment with.

The movie's idiotic and messes not only with the lore of franchise but even with the main point. Alien is, indeed, alien. The whole point that made it scary is that it was an unexplained monster from the cold depths of space, the result of evolutions the human race would rather not know about. Fear of the unknown, fear of the alien, fear of the monster stalking you. Here the big plot twist is that, basically, human made the androids and the androids made the Aliens, meaning that *dramatic music* WE CREATED THE ALIENS. Does not pay off in the slightest. There were mentions of the movie Neil Blomkamp had in mind were Ripley had to travel to the Alien homeworld and witness the utter devastation caused by a race spawned by an uncaring universe. Cool. This is not: this is Scott pulling a George Lucas and severely forgetting what he has within his hands. I'll explain.

Basically, one day Scott set forth with the idea to create the sort of sci-fi masterpiece that makes people think and remembered that the Alien movie he made was pretty succesfull. Too bad he's not Kubrick nor Tarkovskij. He wants to make 2001 Space Odissey with a setting that's not made to tell that kind of stories and he has not the writing skills to make the transition happen. Alien has the strength to make great sci-fi stories but it's not the best resource to make the ones Scott clearly developed a fixation on. Prometheus tried to do this the subtle way, asking questions about our creation, faith, God and mankind's role and responsibilities while using the Alien setting as background. Whether you liked that one or not, that's what the movie attempted to do. In Covenant, this gets dumber: it's clearly, unequivocally, an Alien movie because that's what gets people in the seats and the producer's money in, but it's almost annoying how much it is clear Scott has no love or understanding about it. It shifts the focus from the Aliens to a robot psychopath while trying to make a point that's not there because, even as an out of place commentary of the nature of creation and creator and the role and responsibilities mankind has, it falls flat. It's like trying to drive on a mountain road with a boat: you might do it eventually, but odds are it will be a mess.

I'm not against explaing some about the Alien, but that was the wrong way. I know I can always get excuses to make things go back to Lovecraft, I'm me after all, but this franchise owes a lot to him so I'm not too much ashamed: the fear of the unknown is strengthened by the unknown. No stupid twists that cheapen everything else. You want to say more about the Aliens? Fine, but saying that a robot made them by splicing wasps and bugs with a scientific jargon does not make them any favor. As Stephen King said, if you shine too much light on the monsters in the dark, the audience will not find them scary anymore. This does not apply 100% to all horror genres, of course, but it does in this case.

You can talk about mankind with Alien (talking about mankind fears is the whole point of horror as a form of art), but not this way. This is a travesty. It's just Scott saying "I'll use the name to tell the story I want to tell, who cares about everything else". It's a fraud and, the worst part is, it's not even a good one. A good movie might make it easier to process the trickery, but this one is not. Oh. the photography and visuals are brilliant, don't get me wrong. Scott is a veteran director and it shows. Everything else? Garbage. Plot, dialogues, characters. All predictable, inane or just badly written. The positive note I have is Danny Mcbride's character, which he plays with skill and unexpected nuance. But I don't save anything else. It's a movie that takes a franchise (one with highs and lows) and torches it only because a director has achieved so much that nobody had the good sense to take it away from him.

Fuck Covenant and fuck Scott. I expected better from both and I dread of what comes next

End of the big rant
              Last edited by Cinder; 07-27-2017, 09:30 PM.

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• That's disappointing. There's way too much falling back on tropes that require a lot of suspension of disbelief like that nowadays, I think. It seems to hinder a lot of otherwise good movies. I think I mentioned Spring much earlier in the thread, that did it too.

Comment

• Thought this was a trailer when I started watching it, apparently it's just a short film. Well made, though, and weird. When Susurrus Stirs.

https://vimeo.com/226046118

Warning, contains blood and gore, and a penis that nothing good happens to.

Comment

• See, whenever Prometheus comes up, I end up reflecting on what might have been. It's ultimately very sad.

Guillermo motherfucking del Toro had plans to do an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, except that Prometheus ended up getting made at about the same time as he was sitting down to do it, so he ended up putting it off.

I mean, I can see why - two movies about crews of scientists traveling to some inhospitable region and gaining unpleasant insight into the origins of humanity and life on Earth as they discover bizarre alien life? Still, I know which of the two I'd rather have seen.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-28-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      See, whenever Prometheus comes up, I end up reflecting on what might have been. It's ultimately very sad.

Guillermo motherfucking del Toro had plans to do an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, except that Prometheus ended up getting made at about the same time as he was sitting down to do it, so he ended up putting it off.

I mean, I can see why - two movies about crews of scientists traveling to some inhospitable region and gaining unpleasant insight into the origins of humanity and life on Earth as they discover bizarre alien life? Still, I know which of the two I'd rather have seen.
                      Tell me about it. Shoggots made with big Hollywood budget CGI, man. Lovecraft finally getting a mainstream movie. All made by Del Toro, which blatantly loves the source material.

Sigh.
                      Last edited by Cinder; 07-28-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• I saw The Mummy a few nights ago with my girlfriend. I think i died inside every time they called Set the god of death or god of the dead. My girlfriend found it entertaining... Not the movie, but me complaining about everything the movie was getting or doing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                          I saw The Mummy a few nights ago with my girlfriend. I think i died inside every time they called Set the god of death or god of the dead. My girlfriend found it entertaining... Not the movie, but me complaining about everything the movie was getting or doing wrong.
                          Drove me crazy too. I mean, we all know Set was the god of snakes, not the god of death.

Comment

• Saw Terminator 2 3D today. God, the movie is almost PERFECT.

25 years later, it still brought tears to my eyes on how amazing it is. And the remastered 3D version was fantastic. Not too much 3D, and used perfectly. When it comes to Terminator, Cameron sure knows what he's doing.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                              Saw Terminator 2 3D today. God, the movie is almost PERFECT.

25 years later, it still brought tears to my eyes on how amazing it is. And the remastered 3D version was fantastic. Not too much 3D, and used perfectly. When it comes to Terminator, Cameron sure knows what he's doing.
                              All things considered, the first two Terminators really proved able to endure the test of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                                All things considered, the first two Terminators really proved able to endure the test of time.

Agreed. I'm actually a bigger fan of the first one, but T2 is just so damn special.

Both are works of art to me.

I loved Genysis and Salvation as well, but for different reasons. T3 was shit.

I love how Phil Brucato paid quite a bit of homage to them in M20 with HIT Marks.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X