Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
    I'm hearing some great things about the new Blade Runner from various people whose opinions I value.

The first Blade Runner does not hold up well at all. The movie is slow, uninteresting, and a chore to get through at times. Rutger Hauer's performance is still fantastic, though.
    See, my complaint about 2049 is that it goes too fast for the genre, whereas the original takes its sweet time creeping through its investigation.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

See, my complaint about 2049 is that it goes too fast for the genre, whereas the original takes its sweet time creeping through its investigation.

Agreed from what I've heard about the new one. I remember seeing trailers for the original. Kinda made it out to be an action flick. When I finally saw it, it definitely threw me off a bit. Sets and scenery are still amazing. But it is just so...damn plodding slow.

I did hear the new one is long, but definitely paced well.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Just went to see It, i like it even though it relies way too much on jumpscares as a crutch that it honestly doesnt need because it can manage spooky on its own.

It made me think of WoD as the true monster wasnt clown spiders from outer space but economy of action.

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
        I'm hearing some great things about the new Blade Runner from various people whose opinions I value.

The first Blade Runner does not hold up well at all. The movie is slow, uninteresting, and a chore to get through at times. Rutger Hauer's performance is still fantastic, though.
        Indeed, i personally put it in the category of movies that are great but boring to sit through.

Comment

• So, saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. I was expecting it to be pretty bad and was going to tear it apart, but I have to admit that it was a damn good movie. My brother's been making me eat crow all morning. I think it managed to perfectly capture the spirit and the atmosphere of the original movie. There were a few flaws, but they were rather minor and no worse than some of the flaws that the original Blade Runner had in its various iterations. Overall, I think I'd say that this is the best unnecessary sequel to a movie that I've seen.
          Last edited by AnubisXy; 10-07-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            I found that it was willing to take its time. It wasn't afraid of having long scenes where the focus is on the environment, there's are scenes where it is perfectly fine with having several minutes of dead air with no dialogue, little background noise and simply allowing the viewer to soak up the visual elements.

As for the investigation
            I don't know that it went too quickly. I think the issue is that when K went and spoke with the Memory Maker, and found out that his memory was real, he became convinced that he was the child. So to him (and the viewers at the time) the mystery was now solved. So the mystery basically ends halfway through the movie, when K mistakenly believes that he's solved it and then runs because the police are going to kill him. I don't know that that was necessarily a bad thing however.

Comment

• How about that Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer, huh?

MrGone's Character Sheets
              For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
                How about that Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer, huh?
                Definitely looks like they trying to evoke Empire Strikes Back hard with this one. I don't give a shit. It looks like it will be fucking awesome!

CofD booklists:
                Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• I hadn't seen it until it was mentioned here but yeah. It worked for the first one, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    Definitely looks like they trying to evoke Empire Strikes Back hard with this one. I don't give a shit. It looks like it will be fucking awesome!
                    I thought so too! I'm pretty excited about seeing it! Plus, I've loved Rian Johnsons other movies, so I'm excited to see what he's going to do with Star Wars!

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    I hadn't seen it until it was mentioned here but yeah. It worked for the first one, though.
                    Yea, I dug The Force Awakens too! So, I'm ready for this one!

MrGone's Character Sheets
                    For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• It finally arrived to my country today. I was there. By the end, I was almost crying for how happy I was. It was a triumph, an adaptation done with both love for the source material and enough mastery over the genre to change it in a meaningful and effective way.

I love horror, Stephen King and kids in horror. Watching this movie, knowing that it was so deservedly successfull and loved by the public just made me feel great. It's a tricky moment when the things you love gain mainstream attention. It's a risk that does not always pay offs and has plenty of pitfalls. This time, it was just perfect.

I have been smiling for the last thirty minutes, coming back from the theatre, and it seems I'll keep doing it for a while

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Working...
                      X