Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Why? Why do the movies have to conform exactly to the comics power rankings? Where is the problem in telling a new story where different characters related to characters in different ways?

(Also, where are you hearing that? Its news to me.)
    https://nerdist.com/captain-marvel-i...o-kevin-feige/

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/165...to-kevin-feige

Originally posted by Kevin Feige
    Captain Marvel will be, by far, the most powerful superhero in Marvel's cinematic universe.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

• Okay. That still leaves the question hanging: why is that a problem?

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• ...ok here's the thing:

No movie studio is obligated to do a 100% accurate adaptation of comic book superheroes when translating them to movies. Or to completely follow the original comic book storylines to the letter.

And as a reminder: OG comic fans are a niche of a niche. That wouldn't make a dent in box office sales. So of course the stories are going to be changed and adapted to fit with a general movie audience in mind.

For instance: yeah I'm REALLY glad that Captain America: Civil War wasn't a on-point adaptation of the Civil War comic storyline. That would have been fucking atrocious to watch an elementary school's worth of kids die from an explosion. Or the drastic character assassinations that storyline caused.

Even the Guardians of the Galaxy are WAY neutered down in comparison to their comics-version.

It's been that way as far back as Superman 1978. I see no reason for them to do that now.

That's how it is. Deal with it.

Comment

• Meh, it's not an issue for me. I made peace with the MCU being a whole other world long ago. Inspired, maybe, and the core of characters is there more often than not, but different.

Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it is not, but I don't expect adherence to the comics anymore and frankly would be disappointed to see that happen. Certain storylines and character work in a comic universe but would turn horrible in a movie franchise which has not the same background, history and mood.

Example: I absolutely love the Annhilation sagas that made the Guardians of the Galaxy a thing in the first place, but they involved Annhilus, Phalanx, Ultron and a lot of other cosmic characters and there was no way to do that in a single movie (without even getting to who had the rights for whom). So I like the Guardians we got, even if they have nothing to do with the source. I like the Winter Soldier arc, but I'm glad they went another route for the movie (which I also consider to be the best one so far)

Sure, nothing says you have to prefer the movie version. I still think the movie's failure to capture the weird Kirby-esque charm of the Thor comics is a loss for us all, the more I think about Ultron (one of my favorites after Doom) the less I like it and I loathe what happened with the Mandarin, but to struggle against the movies being different from the comics is equivalent to fighting windmills at this point.
          Last edited by Cinder; 02-02-2018, 07:02 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

That's how it is. Deal with it.
            lol Calm down, hoss.

Millions of comic fans have accepted that there will be changes. But just like there are fans who are happy with those changes, you can expect there will be fans who are unhappy with the changes.

These are characters people have grown up with--and seeing changes to their characters and backstories(whether big or small) is something that may not sit well with some people. No reason to crap on them for that.

In so many aspects of entertainment, we want and maybe expect people in control of the IP's to stay true and close to the source material. Why should that be any different in comics?

Carol Danvers has never been remotely close to being the most powerful superhero in Marvel. Not even close.

If this were Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, then that's a different story. But it's not. Carol has repeatedly gotten her ass handed to her by foes in Wolverine's class.

IF(and that's a BIG IF), Carol comes swooping in all Mary Sue-like to save everyone from Thanos in A:IW like what Feige is alluding to, well...that's just plain stupid.

Not to mention, this particular comic fan, would RATHER see Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, anyway. It would've been a perfect chance to insert another Black female into a large scale superhero movie...and they failed.

Captain Marvel's books have been horrifically bad, too. So while I understand partially, why they chose her, I can't say I'm much of a fan.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

• I deal with it by not watching most of "it."

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
              Carol Danvers has never been remotely close to being the most powerful superhero in Marvel. Not even close.
              If they go the "Binary" route, then we're getting a character that is roughly equal to a Herald of Galactus:

The problem is how "weak" most characters are in the MCU compared to their comic counterparts, Captain Marvel is likely to be the first hero fighting on a properly cosmic level.

I'm looking forward to Black Panther.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                In so many aspects of entertainment, we want and maybe expect people in control of the IP's to stay true and close to the source material. Why should that be any different in comics?
                Because it's inevitably irrelevant if a good movie is made out of it anyways?

Like, I can go on about how Peter Quill is nothing like he is in the comics and that comics-Quill is NOT the devil-may-care Han Solo-like space adventurer he is. And his character had absolutely no connection to Ego the Living Planet.

Not to mention, this particular comic fan, would RATHER see Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, anyway. It would've been a perfect chance to insert another Black female into a large scale superhero movie...and they failed.
                Last I checked, most people have seemingly forgot that Monica Rambeau even exists.

If anything, people are more demanding for Kamala Khan.

(granted the casting of DeWanda Wise have got people wondering if Monica will be a side character or cameo for the movie)

Captain Marvel's books have been horrifically bad, too. So while I understand partially, why they chose her, I can't say I'm much of a fan.
                Apparently that's the fault of Brian Michael Bendis on not understanding how to write for Carol. Her part in Civil War II had a funny way of repeating the past since the original comics Civil War was also infamously called out for character assassinations just to get the story to work.

Kelly Sue DeConnick's run on Captain Marvel is considered to be the recommended read and anything 2014 onwards (ESPECIALLY penned by Bendis) is to be ignored.

Originally posted by Shadowflame View Post
                I deal with it by not watching most of "it."
                I'm looking forward to Black Panther.
                ~One of these things is not like the other~

Comment

~One of these things is not like the other~
                  The operative word is "most."

Comment

Apparently that's the fault of Brian Michael Bendis on not understanding how to write for Carol. Her part in Civil War II had a funny way of repeating the past since the original comics Civil War was also infamously called out for character assassinations just to get the story to work.

Kelly Sue DeConnick's run on Captain Marvel is considered to be the recommended read and anything 2014 onwards (ESPECIALLY penned by Bendis) is to be ignored.
                    Nope! Both Bendis' writing and KSD's run on Carol has been awful. And the the sales have reflected that.

Her current series is one of the worst titles Marvel produces.

But hey, to each his/her own.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

• *watching Super Bowl ads roll by*

Ok, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Mission Impossible: Fallout, everything as expec-

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER. CLOVERLFIELD PARADOX. ON NETFLIX. TONIGHT.

...oh gods Abrams' "mystery box" storytelling is affecting the marketing. Goddammit.

Comment

• Not exactly a movie but i've recently finished watching Altered Carbon and i quite liked it. Despite being a sci-fi it has helped me ... envision better how kindred society looks, especially at elysium. I mean, it's not something difficult to know, how vampires are, but its different when you have a visual medium showing it to you so well.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les L├ęgendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son.

Comment

• Black Panther was really cool. It's a good movie before being a cultural event, and that's the secret for success if you ask me. Ranks quite high in my MCU list, but Winter Soldier still holds the top spot. It also has *gasp* an actually well-written villain, which I admit is something those movies tend to lack way more often than not.

The real treat for me this week will be The Shape of Water, which I'm gonna watch Friday (it arrived just now around here). I always note with a bit of sadness that Del Toro and I would be best buddies if we only met each other and that movie shows traces of a lot of the things I love in its DNA. I might write a proper review of it, if anyone's interested.
                          Last edited by Cinder; 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                            The real treat for me this week will be The Shape of Water, which I'm gonna watch Friday (it arrived just now around here). I always note with a bit of sadness that Del Toro and I would be best buddies if we only met each other and that movie shows traces of a lot of the things I love in its DNA. I might write a proper review of it, if anyone's interested.
                            Well speaking of which...

The Shape of Water

This is a very pretty movie. The way how it's shot, the colors, and being one of the more recent best examples of "show don't tell" in visual storytelling. And the effects on not-Gillman are spot on.

Granted the actual story is...pretty simplistic. It's mostly your standard "Boy and his ______" story. With the difference being the boy is now a woman, and the other guy is a fishman that the two happen to be romantically involved and the backdrop of "MAN 1950'S COLD WAR AMERICA SUCKED FOR EVERYONE NOT A WHITE MALE AMIRITE?!" Otherwise, core story is fairly straight forward. And my guess on how it was going to end turned out to be right on the money.

(and yes, I'm part of the group that believes that this movie might have been del Toro's attempt to salvage a no-doubt canceled script for an Abe Sapien-solo spin off. Fishman, eggs, classical music? Come on now)

Best Guillermo del Toro movie though? I'm...not sure about that.

Granted I haven't seen his entire filmography and it's been awhile since I've seen a couple of the entries. But for now...I'd say probably not. And I'm not sure about it deserving ALL the Oscar nominations.

Still, nice to see a passion project of del Toro's not only get released but also do pretty well

Comment

• God damn Black Panther is awesome!

Black Lives Matter

He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Saw Black Panther today. Cool movie, had a good time. Unstoppable Marvel Machine remains unstoppable.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Working...
                                X