Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    That's not exactly a good argument. People watching the MCU and enjoying Captain Marvel's role in it are going to think "yeah, she's a great role model for our generation!"

Only to pick up the comics that she's featured in and think "wait, what the hell is she doing!?"

What's the problem with them doing it with Captain Marvel when they've been doing it with every other Avenger for years?

Or just reading the news and seeing it play out in real life?

Comment

• nofather Yes, I'm aware of the whole Captain America thing, and everybody was justifiably outraged over it. Why? Because there was virtually no evidence to support this bait and switch leading up to it! The reveal came across as a ham fisted attempt at political satire. As soon as I heard about Captain America being a Hydra agent, my immediate thought to the news was "oh my god, they're comparing modern America to Nazi Germany."

But in the case of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, she has apparently always been like her comic book portrayal. A self obsessed narcissist, who abused her powers to get what she wants, and damn the consequences. It's as if the MCU chose her as the face based completely off her namesake, and didn't do any actual investigation into her character.

The MCU is not in any way comparable of a portrayal as the comics are. Why is that?

Because movies come out slowly, and only feature one story involving the character's adventurers.

Comic books are churned out on a regular basis, and continue to expand upon the character's surrounding mythos at a much faster rate than the movies.

Captain Marvel has only been present in the MCU for less than a year. She's been present in the comics since the late 60's.
      Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-29-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

nofather Yes, I'm aware of the whole Captain America thing, and everybody was justifiably outraged over it. Why? Because there was virtually no evidence to support this bait and switch leading up to it!

But in the case of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel, she has apparently always been like her comic book portrayal. A self obsessed narcissist, who abused her powers to get what she wants, and damn the consequences. It's as if the MCU chose her as the face based completely off her namesake, and didn't do any actual investigation into her character.

The MCU is not in any way comparable of a portrayal as the comics are. Why is that?

Because movies come out slowly, and only feature one story involving the character's adventurers.

Comic books are churned out on a regular basis, and continue to expand upon the character's surrounding mythos at a much faster rate than the movies.

Captain Marvel has only been present in the MCU for less than a year. She's been present in the comics since the late 60's.
        You're basically describing Iron Man. And while they made it a switch after the fact, and in Ultimates he's about as bad, and even in the mainstream comics he's starting to share similar beliefs.

Plus as sad as it is, they've shown time and again that movies don't seem to relevantly impact the amount of people reading comics (the exception is non-superhero based graphic novels). If an 'entire generation' is watching her movie and thinking she's a great role model, they're basing it off the movie.

Comment

Only to pick up the comics that she's featured in and think "wait, what the hell is she doing!?"
          Because superheroes being dicks in comics is completely novel and entirely absent of precedent.

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          The scant amount of screen time she did have in the recent film made her come across as insufferably pretentious and holier than thou.
          And Captain America wasn’t, in “First Avenger?”

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

And Captain America wasn’t, in “First Avenger?”

Did you watch First Avenger? Because I don't think you saw the same movie I did.

Captain America was portrayed as a patriotic young man who wanted nothing more than to serve his country, even though he was deemed too weak to effectively do so. He wanted this so much, that he agreed to become a test subject for an experimental soldier program. And after the program turned out to be successful, he was disappointed that the military only used him as a PR stunt, instead of making proper use of his newly enhanced abilities. One of the most terrible wars in human history was taking place, and he was sitting around at home performing musical numbers.

Captain America wanted to help people during a time of great crisis, and everyone around him kept trying to hinder that goal. Of course he would be upset with the situation, anybody would have!

Comment

Did you watch First Avenger?
              I did.

Captain America was portrayed as a patriotic young man who wanted nothing more than to serve his country, even though he was deemed too weak to effectively do so. He wanted this so much, that he agreed to become a test subject for an experimental soldier program.
              Captain America was portrayed as an underage boy who repeatedly falsified government documents and broke the law in the interest of doing things his way, even though the United States had plenty of soldiers and numerous options existed to help the war effort from home.

And after the program turned out to be successful, he was disappointed that the military only used him as a PR stunt, instead of making proper use of his newly enhanced abilities. One of the most terrible wars in human history was taking place, and he was sitting around at home performing musical numbers.
              So he went rogue because he thought his way was better.

Comment

• Captain Marvel has been unlikable in the comics for years. As has Iron Man. But to be honest, I'm not entirely sure Marvel(or Disney) actually care how their characters are written or perceived as most of their current stuff might as well be cosplay fluff at 3.99 a pop.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger."

Comment

• Hey guys, what are you talking abo-

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• Loosely related to the conversation, so every once in a while you get the comments about how feminism or political correctness or what have you is ruining media these days, including our movies. Most of these arguments are done in such bad faith as to not warrant attention-so it's actually kind of satisfying that there is an arena where that misapplied "wokeness" does hurt movies and, and having people expose what the underlying flaw in that sort of paper-thin social justice fanservice really is, how lip service doesn't serve the needs of legitimate criticisms.

Or in other words, have you checked out Lindsey Ellis's Woke Disney video?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                    Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                      Loosely related to the conversation, so every once in a while you get the comments about how feminism or political correctness or what have you is ruining media these days, including our movies. Most of these arguments are done in such bad faith as to not warrant attention-so it's actually kind of satisfying that there is an arena where that misapplied "wokeness" does hurt movies and, and having people expose what the underlying flaw in that sort of paper-thin social justice fanservice really is, how lip service doesn't serve the needs of legitimate criticisms.

Her videos are great, and this one was particularly enjoyable.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Oh, that old thing.

Yeah, many of the ideas she brings up had occurred to me in isolation. That Disney trying to self-critique their own history but only in a superficial way on top of still reveling in the tropes they're "critiquing" still feeling overall disingenuous.

It's not exclusive to Disney though. It was always a double-edged sword: of people trying to get companies to acknowledge and promote diversity...and that despite knowing full well it's in aim to get at their pocket change to buy their stuff, and not necessarily because they care at a personal level. That, yes, in a primarily capitalist society it's the only way to get voices heard and eventually acknowledged and validated, but...

Is that really "good enough"?

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                          Oh, that old thing.
                          Old? It came out, like, two days ago.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            Old? It came out, like, two days ago.
                            I was being facetious. :P

Comment

Lindsey is awesome! Haven't watched it yet, but soon....

MrGone's Character Sheets
                              For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

• Just got done seeing Joker, I really liked it. I hope this starts a trend of comic book movies that aren't driven by special effects and fight scenes.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
                                But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Working...
                                X