Movies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    The reveal came across as a ham fisted attempt at political satire. As soon as I heard about Captain America being a Hydra agent, my immediate thought to the news was "oh my god, they're comparing modern America to Nazi Germany."
    It's probably beyond the scope of this thread, but given that the author was a failed politician with a documented history of racist policies and neo-Nazi dogwhistles masquerading as centrism, I think it is more likely the story arc was intended to show that even Nazis can be people of good conscience and we should just give everyone a chance.

Comment

• So, uh... Joker...

I was really hoping that concerns over it glorifying the mass-shooting revenge fantasy and demonizing mental illness would prove to be unwarranted. But, you know. Hope in one hand...

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Joker.

They missed the joke.

Also, Joker is not a revolutionary, incidental or otherwise.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• If I wanted to pay to watch Taxi Driver again, Walmart does have a DVD bin.

Comment

• I also hate that everyone trying to defend the movie seems to completely miss the point of the critique.

Comment

• "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" - Joker, The Killing Joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" - Joker, The Killing Joke.
                I’m guessing you haven’t seen the movie. It certainly leaves room for multiple choice. There are a lot of ways it’s bad, but that’s not one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                  I was really hoping that concerns over it glorifying the mass-shooting revenge fantasy and demonizing mental illness would prove to be unwarranted.
                  we live in a society, you know, like wow

Comment

• Originally posted by JimB View Post

I’mma level with you, I see “we live in a society” so much, in such wildly different contexts, I have no idea what it’s supposed to mean.

Comment

I’mma level with you, I see “we live in a society” so much, in such wildly different contexts, I have no idea what it’s supposed to mean.
                      I am mockingly accusing the movie of pretending at having a deep message which is actually superficial, nonsensical, and possibly dangerous.

Comment

I’m guessing you haven’t seen the movie. It certainly leaves room for multiple choice. There are a lot of ways it’s bad, but that’s not one of them.

Actually, the point I was trying to make is that if people didn't like this Joker origin story, they don't have to accept it as truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimB View Post

Sometimes it's hard, man, whoa.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• The people who keep recommending it to me keep likening it to The Dark Knight.

​Makes me wish I could say "I didn't like The Dark Knight" without them screeching like rabid macaques.
                            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 10-07-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Joker was alright, I guess. I've seen better movies. Seen worse ones too. If nothing else, Joaquin Phoenix did an amazing job with the material he was given.

Comment

• I posted this on another forum:

Obviously not a feel good movie, and if you've seen a trailer, you shouldn't be expecting one

Not everyone is gonna like it, but I wouldn't expect such people not trying to go see it either. All the bad reviews seem more agenda driven, and not dissatisfied viewers

All and all, quote/unquote, this pretty much takes places in the King of Comedy/Taxi Drive/Dog Day Afternoon Cinematic Universe

If you like/love those movies, you should like/love this I would think

A very nicely cathartic movie

SPOILERS!!!
                                SPOILERS!!!
                                SPOILERS!!!

Honestly, I didn't find it dark at all. As I said, it's obviously not a feel good movie, it's about a guy in a lot of pain. I could sympathize with everything he's going through. Don't think for a second I condone anything he did, any of the pain he caused others, or the murders he committed, I don't. To me, this movie shows just how important it is to listen, and how important it is that we have help and support for people in pain.How important common human decency really is. What if his sessions didn't end? What if Wayne really was his father and didn't deny it. What if he wasn't mocked by Murray?

Comment

Working...
                                X