X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storyteller
    started a topic Movies

Movies

I just got home from seeing Thor: The Dark World. It was okay; nothing to get excited about. If you are on the fence, my recommendation is to Netflix it. I'm not convinced it was worth the ticket price in the theater.
    Last edited by Storyteller; 11-08-2013, 03:00 AM.

• Second Chances
    replied
    BLADEEEEEEEE!!!

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight View Post

Not a high bar to surpass imo
    Me neither, but there some people who continue to argue that the Sam Rami movies are vastly superior to Homecoming and Far From Home. Which I disagree with, largely because I think Holland is a much more believable Peter Parker and teenager. Not that the Rami movies were bad, mind you.
    Last edited by Second Chances; 07-21-2019, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    And Tom Holland continues to be a better Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire.
    Not a high bar to surpass imo

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    And Tom Holland continues to be a better Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

-Spoiler random stuff

-The twists for the movie...are not hard to figure out for any narrative-savvy geek. As soon as they revealed the master plan on integrating human souls into Pokemon I was like "Oh...that's what happened to Tim's dad".

-That said, I was super stoked for the reveal that Harry Goodman is in fact Ryan Reynolds.

-I WAS NOT EXPECTING KAIJU TORTERRA TO BE A THING GODDAMN.

I think that none of those have anything on
    evil assassin/henchman Ditto!!!

If the plot isn't the most original thing in the world, it's at least something that is effectively using the strengths of the IP. It's executed well, and I think that counts for a lot.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

We're witnessing history being made people: a mainstream Hollywood movie, that's a video game adaptation, that's ACTUALLY good and not ironically good!

I will say that the reviews were right in that the plot is kind of basic and predictable for the media-weary viewer...that honestly doesn't matter that much. Movie's just filled to the brim with fun and charm that you just don't care.

-Yeah, the art direction chosen for the Pokemon themselves works...surprisingly well in action. You would think that mashing together game/anime-accurate designs with photorealistic textures would be a recipe for a disaster, yet it isn't. It all works really well.

I'm starting to think that Legendary employs actual wizards at their studios.

-I'm surprised I didn't take note of this right from the trailers but the other thing that this movie is for the 2/3rds:

Kid-friendly neo-noir film.

While obviously not in black and white, it does include the high-contrast lighting (here the bright neon signs of Ryme City), the more literal contrast of the clean and shiny daylight version of the city versus the dark, grimy, and sleazy night city, familiar archetypes like a cynical protagonist, detectives (of course), and with morally grey story elements, primarily "ends justifies the means". Nice to have one of these kind of movies, we don't get them too often...

...goddamn has it really been over 30 years since Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

-Although my biggest issue with the movie is not necessarily how basic the plot is, but...

The mystery element not being quite as good...due to our heroes getting TOLD about the twists and revelations instead of finding it out themselves.

Any good mystery story is about the characters unveiling and piecing together the mystery's answers themselves, and the audience being along for the ride with them. It's not super pervasive: there are a lot more instances where the characters deduce the next twist themselves and how they get to that point does make sense. But it is still there, and it is disappointing to have.

-Now a question I'm sure some have been having: "is this movie canon to the games or the anime in any way?"

Well...

Yes...sort of. When talking about Mewtwo, it's revealed that it "escaped from the Kanto region 20 years ago". Now, if we assume the usual that the movie takes place in the year it was released, than it would mean the movie takes place in 2019. 20 years ago would be 1999...which was indeed the year that Mewtwo Strikes Back's English dub was released in North America. Conversely, the year before in 1998 was when Red/Blue made their NA debut. Sadly, I didn't stick around for the credits to see what the gentleman as the red-capped Pokemon trainer near the beginning is credited as (although IMDB lists him as "male Pokemon trainer"...but since IMDB, no idea how reliable it is). So I can't confirm or deny if he is/isn't an adult Red or Ash.

At the very least, it confirms that SOME version of the story depicted in the games and/or anime have happened in Detective Pikachu's universe.

-Couple of cute references that I noticed:

-Time's phone has a distinct phone cover that has a black middle but the top end is red and the bottom is blue...while it COULD be a Red/Blue reference, to me it looked more like an inverted Switch.

-Lucy's cap, hoodie, yoga pants, and sneakers outfit of course resembling the default femTrainer outfit from Pokemon Go.

-Presumably, Lucy having a Psyduck and being the main female side characters was PROBABLY trying to draw a connection to Misty.

-I believe one of the designs on Tim's shirt was the "O" Unown.

-Spoiler random stuff

-The twists for the movie...are not hard to figure out for any narrative-savvy geek. As soon as they revealed the master plan on integrating human souls into Pokemon I was like "Oh...that's what happened to Tim's dad".

-That said, I was super stoked for the reveal that Harry Goodman is in fact Ryan Reynolds.

-I WAS NOT EXPECTING KAIJU TORTERRA TO BE A THING GODDAMN.

I've said this before about Legendary regarding their kaiju movies but: I always got a sense these guys are fucking nerds and it shows. That they love geeky shit as much as we do, and that while there is money to be made, I always get the sense there is a love and passion at play of them wanting to make genuinely entertaining movies that they'd enjoy as fans. It doesn't always work (hai Warcraft 2016, Pacific Rim: Uprising), but when it works like with Detective Pikachu, it does WONDERS.

Go see, it's great.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Glad to hear it. I mean I figured but nice to have someone else saying so.
    See, the trailers give one a sense of "this looks pretty fun". My perspective on actually seeing it is "this is actually a lot better than it needed to be". There's a genuine labour of love to it, and it's something that gets what makes Pokémon so compelling and puts it at the heart of everything.

And believe me, there are going to be things that will likely have an impact that one won't have gotten from the trailers; some of them expansions or recontextualizations, some of them completely unhinted and pretty well staged.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Glad to hear it. I mean I figured but nice to have someone else saying so. Saw Shazam last weekend and definitely not a movie for 7 year olds. Great flick though.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Pokémon Detective Pikachu is pretty good y'all. Go see it.

I had the good fortune to catch a preview screening on Sunday. Do you want to know how good of a movie for kids it is? It's "theatre packed to the gills with children who sit still without a peep throughout" good. At the same time as it's got some characterisation, theming and humour that adults will get, or at least appreciate more.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    FYI, I've made a spoiler thread for Endgame. If you've seen it (I'm in the theatre right now) come on over!

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/g...spoiler-thread

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Considering the reaction I had to Infinity War was that it was one of most impressive bits of structural storytelling I've ever seen and all it got out of me was a "meh", I'm curious how Endgame'll affect me.

Love it, hate it, or meh, though, at long last I can at last be freed from this franchise.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Seeing Endgame tomorrow. Rewatching Infinity War tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Endgame was great. It had its flaws, sure. But overall, it was great ending to 10 years of a mostly fun and entertaining universe.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

A movie about Aquaman is likely to have Atlantis as a focal point and a large chunk of the film. I only cited a few scenes from Shazam. The entire movie was riddled with poor effects--which makes sense considering the 20 million dollar budget.
    Either way, if bad effects are more omnipresent they stay stuck in your head and you remember it more versus the previous scenes that were more effect-less.

The group that I saw Aquaman with, consisting of hardcore comic fans, all agreed that the special effects were amazing; especially considering they were bringing an underwater world to life.
    ...why is that relevant?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X