X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storyteller
    started a topic Movies

Movies

I just got home from seeing Thor: The Dark World. It was okay; nothing to get excited about. If you are on the fence, my recommendation is to Netflix it. I'm not convinced it was worth the ticket price in the theater.
    Last edited by Storyteller; 11-08-2013, 03:00 AM.

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Ford vs Ferrari was amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    I saw Knives Out yesterday and highly enjoyed it!! The less you know going in the better so I won't say much... But I really liked it!!

Leave a comment:

• Kammerer
    replied
    I don't understand the hype for the Mandalorian. Episode 1 was so unbelievably... mediocre. It's not like embarrassingly bad or anything, but it's not good at anything either. They spend a whole scene hyping up how difficult it'll be to find Baby Yoda and how they only have partial and outdated information, but then the Mandalorian has already found him in the next scene. That was obviously added so that the Mandalorian can be worfed and awkwardly introduced to the cowboy character, but that sidequest was incredibly silly and paint by numbers. The Mandalorian falls off a space monster twice, the cowboy gives a speech, music swells and the Mandalorian immediately succeeds.

I just don't get it. If this wasn't a Star Wars property, no one would even notice this show exists. It sure as hell no Firefly.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by JimB View Post

In the book, it's a Game of Thrones reference, so there's that.

definitely corporate synergy at work behind the change then. Oh well.

Leave a comment:

• JimB
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

All I know is that a RWBY reference is a semi-important plot point. Sure, it's blatant corporate synergy but I still like more exposure.
    In the book, it's a Game of Thrones reference, so there's that.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    All I know is that a RWBY reference is a semi-important plot point. Sure, it's blatant corporate synergy but I still like more exposure
    I saw that!!! I thought that was so cool!

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

I'll take it as the show hitting the big time if it's being used as set dressing in a Stephen King adaptation. XD XD XD
    more than set dressing. The psychic little girl has her mental avatar basically cosplay Emerald at one point. and it acts as subtle foreshadowing about her plan

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied

All I know is that a RWBY reference is a semi-important plot point. Sure, it's blatant corporate synergy but I still like more exposure
    I'll take it as the show hitting the big time if it's being used as set dressing in a Stephen King adaptation. XD XD XD

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post
    I saw Doctor Sleep over the weekend and highly enjoyed it!! I thought it was a pretty decent follow up to The Shining. I haven't read the book (yet) so I'm not sure how it compares, but I thought they did pretty good with it! Aside from the obvious connections there were lots of little nods and references to The Shining.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    While I know this isn't move related, I just watched The Mandalorian! Damn that was so awesome!!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    I saw Doctor Sleep over the weekend and highly enjoyed it!! I thought it was a pretty decent follow up to The Shining. I haven't read the book (yet) so I'm not sure how it compares, but I thought they did pretty good with it! Aside from the obvious connections there were lots of little nods and references to The Shining.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Gone
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    I liked TFA, but I didn’t love it. I gave it a lot of credit as the first Star Wars under Disney. They had to play it very safe, to prove that they could make something that felt like Star Wars, especially as they were breaking away from the old EU canon. I didn’t care for the mystery box, but I understood they needed something to get fans invested in the new canon. I was thrilled when TLJ pruned down the mysteries and refined the plot into something more focused. And I’m worried that the next one could end up undoing that work. But again, I have hope they’re going to pull it off.
    Yea, there are some things in TFA I wasn't crazy about it, mystery boxes being one of them. But, I can forgive a lot for a decent story, and I thought it was pretty good. There are a few things I wish they'd done differently, but all in all I was pretty happy with it. (Though, planets being destroyed that you can witness from a totally different star system still bugs me...but I can roll with it). Like you said, they needed to play it a little safe, so I was pretty happy with it. I like TLJ a TON better and I was really happy with the direction that move went. I'm hoping they don't backslide from it too much in the new one. I'm a little worried, but not too much. I don't think they're gonna let the last movie in a 9 movie saga be terrible.

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    There are a few ways I could see it working. Something like a holocron that he recorded a contingency plan on in the event of his death could work. Some kind of haunting situation might be a hard sell because I like force ghosts being beyond the power of the dark side, but I’d be open to the possibility. I really hope it’s not just a backup clone, though even that would be preferable to him having somehow survived.
    Oh yea, if they can do a hologram or of those hologram faced robots from Operation Cinder, that'd be pretty cool. I could see a haunting situation though. They did in the Clone Wars I believe with Darth Bane? Wasn't he haunting some place? While not a full force ghost, I like the idea that someone powerful with the dark side could haunt a place. Not as a full spirit or anything, but just something trapped in a location forever...

I suppose I could go with a clone situation, but I hope it's not. I'm super interested to see what they do though! December needs to hurry up and get here!

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
    Small aside: Remember in Force Awakens when we were introduced to Snoke, and it turned out it was just a big hologram? Was anyone else disappointed that he wasn't a giant?

Because as goofy as it would be, a Giant Sith Lord would also be kind of cool. At least I think so.
    Honestly, I thought they go the opposite route and he'd be really tiny. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    He did the same thing with the star trek films, just added extras to the background

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    I totally thought he was going to be a giant. Star Wars already established they're more willing to go beyond aliens being 'humans with funny head accessories' and I was disappointing that they went back to that for him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X