Let's Talk Comics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AtomicHammer View Post
    Batman #2: Cool story, are they implying the new characters are Kryptonians? Anyway Hugo is bringing his Monster Men from Wagners stories.
    How has this series been going since? And is it new-to-Batman friendly? I assume, like other Rebirth, I need to read the Rebirth story, but apart from that?
    Last edited by Allan53; 09-21-2016, 08:27 AM.

My Commandments for GMs My Commandments for Players

Comment

• So torn. On the one hand, Infamous Iron Man is the combination of my two favourite characters - Victor von Doom and Tony Stark. On the other hand, Bendis' writing lately has not impressed me, and that done badly is worse than not doing it at all.

Similarly for the restart of Invincible Iron Man.

Comment

• I have to wonder if Civil War II is some kind of complex scheme to sell more copies of Civil War I by making the latter seem Watchmen in comparison with the former.

Civil War I has its problem and while some parts and reaction didnt make sense at least 80% of the verbal exchanges made sense. Civil Wars 6, though? No, just no. The exchanges are all wrong. Chit chat between character feels off, its like the uncanny valley of comic books.

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
          I have to wonder if Civil War II is some kind of complex scheme to sell more copies of Civil War I by making the latter seem Watchmen in comparison with the former.

Civil War I has its problem and while some parts and reaction didnt make sense at least 80% of the verbal exchanges made sense. Civil Wars 6, though? No, just no. The exchanges are all wrong. Chit chat between character feels off, its like the uncanny valley of comic books.
          ...Civil War 2 has its issues, I don't think anyone would seriously argue against that. But Civil War 1 was way worse. At least with this they've worked out what the topic of contention actually is, something that was never really done in CW1. The characters aren't too out of character, and people's choices, agree or disagree, tend to make some broad sense.

In counter to that you argue that the dialogue is off in some vague and undefined way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Allan53 View Post
            ...Civil War 2 has its issues, I don't think anyone would seriously argue against that. But Civil War 1 was way worse. At least with this they've worked out what the topic of contention actually is, something that was never really done in CW1. The characters aren't too out of character, and people's choices, agree or disagree, tend to make some broad sense.

In counter to that you argue that the dialogue is off in some vague and undefined way?
            In both the point of contention is pretty clear. Goverment control vs individual freedom and profiling vs freedom, that both conflicts can only function is both sides are extremist dickheads is another matter. The characters in CWII are incredible out of character. Any X-men except the evil one (beast and Jean Grey) siding with Carol is completely out of character, specially Kitty Pride which has known 2 version of herself from totalitarians regimes.

Carol reaction to the revelation of Ullyses not being accurate is the moment when they writers threw the whole character through the window and put a straw man argument against fascism/profiling.

Example

When Tchalla switches side he gives a speech that boils down to, you should always trust blindly Captain America which is odd, later the character explains that he has seen to much shady deals from Carol which would have been a great if that was the initial dialogue but when you announce your switching side motivation, saying "because captain america did it" is off for the character.

Same later when Carol is sitting with Storm, Peter Quill, Maria Hill and Jean Grey. Carol hugs Storm and says "i cant believe how you were married to that man" which is incredibly off. The guy was your team mate and a long time friend, he didnt left in violence he just bowed out when the moral question was arresting a child. The comment is unwarranted bitter and out of character for Carol and her relationship with Tchalla.

Tonny Stark speech when they return to the base, he is basically jumping on joy that he was right when 3 numbers before he was saddened when he bring the proof that the preventive stuff wasnt 100% accurate and yes the saddened part happened after they blew up Star Tower. The fact that Tchalla reasoning to switching sides was that the has seen ullysses being wrong which was proven 3 number ago by Tony and confirmed by beast who is on Carol side.

The speech Peter Quill gave to Carol that when he was king of Spartan he learned that if he could prevent something bad from happening they should. Not only didnt happen in Peter Quill short run as king but it come off from nowhere, Peter Quill would never agree with what Carol is doing unless it was 100% right (which by this point wasnt).

Tony Stark is reduced to a child who just wants to feel validated that he is right, isntead of a man once again forced to fight his friends and it never weights on him that fact when it should.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revenge of TV Head View Post
              It's been a long ass time since JimB and I clashed on that matter. But it still annoys me and I'm sauced, so fuck it.
              I'm sorry I upset you.

Comment

• Anyone read Lone Sloane Delirious by Phillipe Druillet? It was a ground breaking graphic novel from the early 70's. A trippy classic,

Apparently no 2 has been released but I haven't read it yet

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/...-titan-comics/

Comment

• If anyone is interested, Barnes & Noble is having their yearly graphic novel sale. Not individual issues, but purchasing collected ones from Marvel and DC will let you take advantage of a buy two, get one free deal.

Comment

• Spider-man Homecoming trailer was AMAZING. I think Keaton is going to be fantastic. And considering the fact that he's playing a C-list villain, at the end of the day, he'll deserve more credit than likely given.

But I also wonder if there's another villain behind the scenes...

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Inhumans vs. X-men #1 was fantastic. Probably my favorite first issue in a major crossover in a decade.

Magneto and Emma were definitely the highlights of the issue. And Leniel Francis Yu can draw the fuck out of a comic book.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                        Inhumans vs. X-men #1 was fantastic. Probably my favorite first issue in a major crossover in a decade.

Magneto and Emma were definitely the highlights of the issue. And Leniel Francis Yu can draw the fuck out of a comic book.
                        They were but i disagree. Especially considering how this event is turning oit it's looking like it's going to be worse then Civil war 2. Civil war 2 was lazy and did absolutely nothing. It was a blatant and unabashed ripoff of minority report where nothing actually happens. This as a long time X-man fan is offensive. They are pushing inhumans and making mutants sound evil or wanting to get rid of the mutant death cloud that's killing not only mutants but humans as well. It's sicking and disgusting. Also, as a gay man making iceman gay was disgusting and hackneyed. Brian micheal bendis is an awful writer. His X-men was the lowest selling x-men in a while. It's selling almost half of what it did a decade a go due to the quality declaine. So as a big fuck you to fans out of no where( I will not argue this with anyone you cannot convince me otherwise) he decides to make iceman gay I assume to leave a lasting impression on his incredibly lame legacy. No I love gay characters if they are done right. Bobby was done awful, it was personally insulting as a gay man and an x-men fan. It was not organic and it just shoved other characters who are obscure and pushed aside like anole and northstar for one who already dominated too much screen time. The the original five being brought back into the story was stupid and continues to mess the flow of the comics. All I can say is Marvel is failing when it comes to comics and as a long time fan, i hope they continue to fail until they fix themselves or don't I guess.

Gwenpool and spiderman &deadpool are fine though. It seems like some of the fringe titles are just better writen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post

They were but i disagree. Especially considering how this event is turning oit it's looking like it's going to be worse then Civil war 2. Civil war 2 was lazy and did absolutely nothing. It was a blatant and unabashed ripoff of minority report where nothing actually happens. This as a long time X-man fan is offensive. They are pushing inhumans and making mutants sound evil or wanting to get rid of the mutant death cloud that's killing not only mutants but humans as well. It's sicking and disgusting. Also, as a gay man making iceman gay was disgusting and hackneyed. Brian micheal bendis is an awful writer. His X-men was the lowest selling x-men in a while. It's selling almost half of what it did a decade a go due to the quality declaine. So as a big fuck you to fans out of no where( I will not argue this with anyone you cannot convince me otherwise) he decides to make iceman gay I assume to leave a lasting impression on his incredibly lame legacy. No I love gay characters if they are done right. Bobby was done awful, it was personally insulting as a gay man and an x-men fan. It was not organic and it just shoved other characters who are obscure and pushed aside like anole and northstar for one who already dominated too much screen time. The the original five being brought back into the story was stupid and continues to mess the flow of the comics. All I can say is Marvel is failing when it comes to comics and as a long time fan, i hope they continue to fail until they fix themselves or don't I guess.

Gwenpool and spiderman &deadpool are fine though. It seems like some of the fringe titles are just better writen.

Excellent. Good day!

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

• Sorry if you wanted to debate that. I've just been doing for a while with a few friends. i could have accepted it under better writing but bendis is far from my favorite writer and even if bobby drake was always intended to be gay the way the outting was done and the way it was treated is just infuriating.

Comment

• The new Green Lanters, Aquaman and Flash comics are really good.

Comment

• Secret Empire 0 and 1, despite all of the negative attention its received(and my giant dislike for the writer), was actually pretty good. There are a LOT of things left unanswered, which I'm hoping we will see answered over the next few issues.

Other books I'm currently enjoying:

Iron Fist. Wow. Might be the best book Marvel is putting on the shelves. The writing is good, and the martial arts action is captured perfectly by Mike Perkins.
                                Old Man Logan
                                Nam Wolf
                                Batman/Flash: The Button

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

Working...
                                X