Let's Talk Comics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
    Sorry if you wanted to debate that. I've just been doing for a while with a few friends. i could have accepted it under better writing but bendis is far from my favorite writer and even if bobby drake was always intended to be gay the way the outting was done and the way it was treated is just infuriating.
    I agree on Iceman though but i also find it funny that iceman coming out was another example of Jean Grey being basically a female red head killgrave. I read through the all new different super special X-men and i keep wondering, did anyone really miss Jean Grey?

Post dead jean grey were some of the best stories for the X-men and it allowed cyclops to grow as a character and gave a lot more spotlight to emma frost. And kinda, but not totally remove the phoenix for a long while. But a i get it, phoenix saga and nostalgia googles when the character appeared in her younger form....but them the way she is portrayed is basically a mind rapist. Reading people though without their consent and being almost unapologetic about. I keep waiting for someone to call on that and make her the main villain but that never seems to happen which is baffling.

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
    Iron Fist. Wow. Might be the best book Marvel is putting on the shelves. The writing is good, and the martial arts action is captured perfectly by Mike Perkins.
    It got good? I read the first one and it seems trying to hard to be "dark" and the fact they cancel the awesome series of "power man & Iron fist" just for that and power man kinda sour me.
    Last edited by LokiRavenSpeak; 05-08-2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Been spending much of last night and this morning re-purchasing old comics that I ended up getting rid of years ago. Especially stuff from the 90's, which I very much enjoyed.

Sabretooth's mini series: "Death Hunt," for example.

As much as I try to break away from this hobby, it really was my first love. And once it gets in your blood, it's always going to be there.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Mister Miracle and Batman: White Knight might very well be the best comics released this year.

So freaking good.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

• Anyone reading Paper Girls? I finished Volume 3 and would enjoy discussing, but nobody I know in my town knows it

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
          Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
            did anyone really miss Jean Grey?
            Yes, very much! Jean was one of the best "Moral Compass" members of the X-Men. Teen Jean is NOT a younger version of Classic Jean; they established that in the wake of Secret Wars that the time displaced X-Men are actually from a different timeline than there classic counterparts, but since SJW Marvel can't be bothered with trivial things like continuity...
            Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
            Post dead jean grey were some of the best stories for the X-men
            Aside from Wheadon's run, not really.
            and it allowed cyclops to grow
            He "grew" into a damn tumor!
            But a i get it, phoenix saga and nostalgia googles when the character appeared in her younger form....but them the way she is portrayed is basically a mind rapist.
            And that's Emma's job! Let's not forget, the Scott/Emma relationship started with her taking advantage of Scott after he was traumatized by being possessed by Apocalypse. Oh, and she was supposed to be acting as his THERAPIST! How very ethical! Did I mention she started the affair as a psychic link; which would be even more intimate than mere physical sex? Because she totally did, and was WELL aware of how important Scott and Jean's psychic rapport was.
            I keep waiting for someone to call on that and make her the main villain but that never seems to happen which is baffling.
            Again, this is how I feel about Emma. Which is kind of a shame, because up until Morrison's run, she really was on the road to redemption. As of Inhumans Vs. X-Men, Emma is now a genocidal maniac, so I guess that puts her back in the villain club once and for all...

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
            I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
              Yes, very much! Jean was one of the best "Moral Compass" members of the X-Men.
              But do we need yet another "moral compass"? There are tons of character that filled that position way better than Jean. Kitty Pride, Iceman, Oya, Storm even Wolverine made a very interesting moral compass when the X-men split. A sort of "i fight so children wont have too".

Problem with Jean as a moral compass is that is kinda empty as one. Is not about spouting a creed that is morally good to follow but that there something behind that creed, a person, while jean is just an perfect ideal.

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
              Aside from Wheadon's run, not really.

He "grew" into a damn tumor!
              YMMV, i mean i enjoyed Wheadons run but it was pretty pointless. I love the character development of Scott as a third pillar between Xavier and Magneto philosophies. Dead Jean made more of an impact in the X-men that alive Jean did. It made the friendship between Scott and logan more solid without a forced romantic triangle and it really made Scott and less boring character.

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
              And that's Emma's job! Let's not forget, the Scott/Emma relationship started with her taking advantage of Scott after he was traumatized by being possessed by Apocalypse. Oh, and she was supposed to be acting as his THERAPIST! How very ethical! Did I mention she started the affair as a psychic link; which would be even more intimate than mere physical sex? Because she totally did, and was WELL aware of how important Scott and Jean's psychic rapport was.

Again, this is how I feel about Emma. Which is kind of a shame, because up until Morrison's run, she really was on the road to redemption. As of Inhumans Vs. X-Men, Emma is now a genocidal maniac, so I guess that puts her back in the villain club once and for all...
              Yeah but its never (or at least not as much as Jean) glorified how good and pure Emma is. She is a very grey person, incredibly flawed and prone to very selfish reactions but in the end more interesting than Jean Grey. Her relationship with Scott was more relatable than the weird barby/Ken doll dynamic Scott and Jean had. As for how it is now, yeah it sucks, post "Phoenix 5" X-men went downhill.

Comment

Working...
              X