X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimB
    started a topic Let's Talk Comics

Let's Talk Comics

I swear we had one of these, but I can't spot it anywhere, so I guess I'm making one.

It's kind of old, but I wanted to give my impressions on a #1 issues: Seekers of the Weird. Standard no spoilers policy is in place for my descriptions.

I went for Seekers of the Weird because its cover looks like a promo for one of those old adventure shows the Venture Brothers parodies; a pulp, 40s-era archaeology sort of thing (and I think the grown man on the cover is wearing Jonas Venture's signature outfit in a different color scheme). I didn't have any advance knowledge of what the book was about, so I just bought it on the strength of an interesting cover. Let that be a lesson to the industry.

The art style is not one I find particularly sexy--the lines go thick in places that are weird to me, like the inker's pen had a leak or something--but the visual storytelling is extremely competent. The first page of the book has five panels, and they should be an example to anyone who wants to tell a story through sequential art. The first panel is of a boy wearing a sweater vest sitting on some bleachers outside a building whose three flagpoles tell me it's a school, if the bleachers left any doubt. He is reading a book and his toes point slightly inward, so I can tell he's a nerd, and in case that wasn't obvious, he's reading a book with a very well-realized expression of boredom on his face. He does not want to be where he is.

The second panel is of some girls playing, uh, lacrosse, or whatever the sport with the butterfly nets is. The girl in the foreground is glaring at the goalie with a jaw clenched so tight there's no question she's doing anything but focusing on the goal of making her next shot, so we know she's focused, competitive, and athletic. She's wearing long pants and the other two girls are wearing shorts, so I guess that's the female equivalent of shirts versus skins.

Unfortunately, in panel three, she trips on another girl's feet (that'll learn her to stare at the goalie instead of where she's going), leading to a pull-back shot of panel four revealing her shot went high over the net and is headed for the boy with the book. In panel five, he looks up with dumb, slow, cow-like lack of awareness as the shadow of the ball closes in on him, so we know reflexes and snap decisions are not his strong point.

It's all very strong art, and I don't know why the writing on the next page had to ruin it with some of the clumsiest dialogue ever. Whoever wrote it had no respect for either the artist or the audience, because I'm barely exaggerating when I say this exchange follows:

Boy: I am bad at sports!
    Girl: I am good at sports, but bad at school! Also, you are my brother!
    Boy: You are my sister, and I am good at school, but, as established, bad at sports!
    Girl: School is difficult for us, but for different reasons! Also, we have an estranged uncle!

I'm being a little unfair to the writing, but not by fucking much. Every line is painfully crafted to deliver backstory in an awkward and forced manner. I will give it credit to say it tries to characterize Maxwell and Melody, but it does so primarily by reducing them to single characteristics--she's athletic and he's bookish--which doesn't win any points with me. I guess making the girl the physical character is an attempt to reverse gender stereotypes, but meh.

I can't spoil the plot for you because I don't know it. Monsters appear, and bad things happen, and I think there's some kind of portal, and a dude shows up (I don't need to explain who he is, do I?) with a double-barrel pistol that shoots flaming skulls that turn into centaurs, except the human half is a skeleton and the horse half is a snake made of smoke. I honest to god don't know. A monster wants something the kids' parents have. That's the best I got.

So yeah. I don't intend to buy the second issue. The first one had its chance and blew it. I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn something about the art of visual storytelling, but if you want a story, then I can't recommend.
    Last edited by JimB; 02-04-2014, 09:46 PM.

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I'm not particularly a fan of Moore, but I'm really not a fan of a huge company abusing loopholes to screw over a person who worked for them.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Gotta say I’m not enthused about the latest chapter in DC’s continued efforts to screw Alan Moore by having Tom King do a Rorschach comic.

I'm excited, to be honest. I love the original Watchmen, enjoyed the HBO show, and I liked the NEW Rorschach that we met in Doomsday Clock last year. For me, King is hit or miss, but as a fan of Rorschach, I'll be picking it up.

I'm a fan of Moore's work, but definitely not as a person.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Gotta say I’m not enthused about the latest chapter in DC’s continued efforts to screw Alan Moore by having Tom King do a Rorschach comic.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    Gonna have to agree with TheCountAlucard and nofather: the answer is 'Yes'.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yes I'd have to say both. Johns especially gets really hammy and edgy. Some of the alternative Green Lantern oaths have been cool over the years.

"In loudest din or hush profound,
    My ears catch evil's slightest sound.
    Let those who toll out evil's knell
    Beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!"

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    So...Lantern Corps Oaths (besides Orange): cheesy or legit awesome?
    Who's to say it can't be both?

(That said, I only remember the Green one off the top of my head. I'll have to look the others up.)

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    So...Lantern Corps Oaths (besides Orange): cheesy or legit awesome?

Leave a comment:

• The young man in the cafe
    replied
    A VtM comic is in the works https://bleedingcool.com/2020/03/17/...i-howard-more/

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    and in the film Short Circuit, an errant lightning strike ensouled a piece of military hardware.
    That happened in Stealth, too. Following up on that, apparently there's a TvTropes page about the magical abilities of lightning in fiction.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Or gaining super speed from being struck by lightning while holding some chemicals.
    Lightning could do anything in fiction - it’s hardly limited to comics.

By standing in a superhero museum as it got hit by lightning, the man who became Composite Superman got the powers of every member of the Legion of Superheroes at once; and in the film Short Circuit, an errant lightning strike ensouled a piece of military hardware.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I just learned that one of Ted Cruz’s favorite superheroes is Rorschach, from Alan Moore’s Watchmen.

This explains so much.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Internet gas just sounds lame.

They could have put 'nanites' or 'nanobots' or 'cyberware'. But no, they had to be stupid about it.

Leave a comment:

• Grimmi05
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
    Likely so. It's happened so many times before, with the "Big Two". Younger, less popular characters - whether ill-formed from the start or merely not given proper development - are sacrificed in the moment for cheap pathos. Unlike the popular characters who get sacrificed, though, the unpopular rarely get the benefit of a resurrection. They tend to stay dead, forgotten and unmourned, save by those few who actually liked them.

That this is likely to happen to an explicitly non-binary character is sort of the cherry on top of this BS sundae.
    Marvel more so then most. Who else remembers Avengers Arena which tried to make a huge villain out of...Arcade.... Also wouldn't have been the first time killing off the New Warriors lead to a big event.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight View Post
    And don't forget the guy who got exposed to his "grandpa's internet gas" and now can google with a thought. Wow new warriors, just wow
    So his superpower is that he doesn't first have to reach into his pocket and pull out a smart phone before he can start shitposting on the internet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X