X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimB
    started a topic Let's Talk Comics

Let's Talk Comics

I swear we had one of these, but I can't spot it anywhere, so I guess I'm making one.

It's kind of old, but I wanted to give my impressions on a #1 issues: Seekers of the Weird. Standard no spoilers policy is in place for my descriptions.

I went for Seekers of the Weird because its cover looks like a promo for one of those old adventure shows the Venture Brothers parodies; a pulp, 40s-era archaeology sort of thing (and I think the grown man on the cover is wearing Jonas Venture's signature outfit in a different color scheme). I didn't have any advance knowledge of what the book was about, so I just bought it on the strength of an interesting cover. Let that be a lesson to the industry.

The art style is not one I find particularly sexy--the lines go thick in places that are weird to me, like the inker's pen had a leak or something--but the visual storytelling is extremely competent. The first page of the book has five panels, and they should be an example to anyone who wants to tell a story through sequential art. The first panel is of a boy wearing a sweater vest sitting on some bleachers outside a building whose three flagpoles tell me it's a school, if the bleachers left any doubt. He is reading a book and his toes point slightly inward, so I can tell he's a nerd, and in case that wasn't obvious, he's reading a book with a very well-realized expression of boredom on his face. He does not want to be where he is.

The second panel is of some girls playing, uh, lacrosse, or whatever the sport with the butterfly nets is. The girl in the foreground is glaring at the goalie with a jaw clenched so tight there's no question she's doing anything but focusing on the goal of making her next shot, so we know she's focused, competitive, and athletic. She's wearing long pants and the other two girls are wearing shorts, so I guess that's the female equivalent of shirts versus skins.

Unfortunately, in panel three, she trips on another girl's feet (that'll learn her to stare at the goalie instead of where she's going), leading to a pull-back shot of panel four revealing her shot went high over the net and is headed for the boy with the book. In panel five, he looks up with dumb, slow, cow-like lack of awareness as the shadow of the ball closes in on him, so we know reflexes and snap decisions are not his strong point.

It's all very strong art, and I don't know why the writing on the next page had to ruin it with some of the clumsiest dialogue ever. Whoever wrote it had no respect for either the artist or the audience, because I'm barely exaggerating when I say this exchange follows:

Boy: I am bad at sports!
    Girl: I am good at sports, but bad at school! Also, you are my brother!
    Boy: You are my sister, and I am good at school, but, as established, bad at sports!
    Girl: School is difficult for us, but for different reasons! Also, we have an estranged uncle!

I'm being a little unfair to the writing, but not by fucking much. Every line is painfully crafted to deliver backstory in an awkward and forced manner. I will give it credit to say it tries to characterize Maxwell and Melody, but it does so primarily by reducing them to single characteristics--she's athletic and he's bookish--which doesn't win any points with me. I guess making the girl the physical character is an attempt to reverse gender stereotypes, but meh.

I can't spoil the plot for you because I don't know it. Monsters appear, and bad things happen, and I think there's some kind of portal, and a dude shows up (I don't need to explain who he is, do I?) with a double-barrel pistol that shoots flaming skulls that turn into centaurs, except the human half is a skeleton and the horse half is a snake made of smoke. I honest to god don't know. A monster wants something the kids' parents have. That's the best I got.

So yeah. I don't intend to buy the second issue. The first one had its chance and blew it. I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn something about the art of visual storytelling, but if you want a story, then I can't recommend.
    Last edited by JimB; 02-04-2014, 09:46 PM.

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Usagi Yojimbo: Bunraku #1 was excellent. Stan Sakai is a master storyteller.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Can we talk about Webcomics here?
    Sure, Kill Six Billion Demons is great.

Sometimes you just got to put on the cape.
    Last edited by nofather; 03-19-2019, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Can we talk about Webcomics here?

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    After 5 volumes, I believe anyone who hangs around here should check out Harrow County. I like it more with each issue

Leave a comment:

• Grimmi05
    replied
    Somewhat comics related. The Doom Patrol Series has been really good so far. I wish they had all the episodes released at once so I could binge watch it, but they are only doing a weekly release

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Amazing Spider-man was surprisingly good. It's a prelude to the "Hunted" storyline that begins next week.

I'm always up for a good Kraven story.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Good deal! Apparently some people were complaining about them being bad with Kickstarters, but they haven't had that many and the one I backed didn't have any problem. I only heard of so-called problems after the fact. They're supposed to be having one for Stitched or something coming up, but they haven't mentioned anything about it in months so I'm wondering if they're changing their mind about it, especially since so much Stitched stuff has come out on their online store.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    No, didn't do the Kickstarter, I was looking for issues of the comic on Ebay and saw the collected set of Providence and Neonomicon so I picked it up. I kind of wished I had searched a bit because I found someplace selling the slipcase set with all the books in hardcover and it was only $30 more than what I paid and came with an artbook too. It was basically the Kickstarter non signed books pledge reward at regular retail price.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Darksider View Post
    I also grabbed the hardcover Providence collection and a softcover Neonomicon. because Alan Moore does Lovecraftian fiction right.
    Did you do the kickstarter? I did, was wary a bit since Avatar gives like, no-to-little info about what's going on but when I got everything it was in good shape. Came with the Courtyard and Neonomicon too so got the whole story.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    I've been mixing up the books I have on my pull list. Right now I have Lucifer (interesting read so far), Superior Spider-Man (I'm surprised at how much I like this book and the character in general), Uncanny X-Men which will lead into the Age of X-Man books being added, Die! Die! Die! from Kirkman (I love this book and recommend it to anyone looking for an over the top ultra violent tongue in cheek action book.) I'm also still getting Weapon H and I like the direction the story has gone, The Batman Who Laughs (enjoying this a lot) Conan (Like Larry said, it's a great companion to the 70's and 80's series.) To finish it off I'm getting Scooby Apocalypse (for shits and giggles), any new Bloodshot books because I like the relaunched version of the character and I was a fan of the old Valiant books. I also still have The Sentry on my list but I don't know if any more issues will be printed as the book seems to have been suspended. I also grabbed the hardcover Providence collection and a softcover Neonomicon. because Alan Moore does Lovecraftian fiction right.

I saved the last book(s) because I wanted to give it special mention. I have them pulling anything Black Hammer related. I really like Jeff Lemire's writing (I hope he gets to continue on The Sentry because of his particular style) and he kills it with this series. If you want to dip your toe in and see what it's about Amazon has the Kindle/Comixology version of the first collected edition (issues 1-12 and the annual) for $5. You'll be doing yourself a favor by adding that to your Kindle library if you have one. It's a really quirky and non traditional take on super heroes that's not from a British writer (and it has been optioned for development by Legendary pictures).

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Two EXCELLENT comics released today:

Conan the Barbarian #1(or #276) by Marvel is fantastic. Great writing that harkens back to Conan stories of old, and art that is pure Conan. He's muscular, but not like a powerlifter. The action is brutal, the women are sexy and/or dangerous, and I can hear the theme from Conan the Barbarian playing in my head while reading it. A+

Detective Comics #995. Art is crisp and clean, and we have a Batman who s extremely pissed off. Can't wait to see where it goes next.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Someone talk me out of rereading the good parts of Sandman again.

Why would I do that?

Leave a comment:

• Grimmi05
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Read Lucifer Instead.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X