Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paradox Interactive (the Crusader Kings people, not the Conan/Mutant Chronicles ones) buy the White Wolf properties [Merged x10]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
    We knew this deal was brewing, but can't talk about it right now.
    That's... less reassuring than I was hoping for. =/

"The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground." -G.K. Chesterton

Comment

As a long-time fan of pretty much everything Paradox does, I'm excited about this, even if I wouldn't have guessed that in a billion years.

Comment

Icelandic overlords exchanged for Swedish overlords? As a Swede, I can only approve of this.

Originally posted by Cogliostro View Post

Note that they are publishers, not Developers. Obsidian made Pillars of Eternity.
        They are publishers and developers. They make their own Grand Strategy games, but they publish games like Pillars of Eternity and Magicka.

They ALSO publish roleplaying games. They are the ones behind Mutant: Year Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwingedheaven View Post
          That's... less reassuring than I was hoping for. =/
          That doesn't have to mean anything though. If some details still need to be worked out, it's standard procedure not to say anything.

Comment

I hope the devs still have a job and that the IP won't be rebooted and outsourced to different devs and writers. I mean, it probably won't, but it wouldn't be without precedent.
            Just... just don't let Team Ninja touch Exalted. Pretty please.

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
            Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
              That doesn't have to mean anything though. If some details still need to be worked out, it's standard procedure not to say anything.
              It's still not reassuring. I had been hoping for a simultaneous press release or statement from OP that would basically clear up the future of WW/OP properties right away. Now we have to wait longer for it. It doesn't necessarily mean anything negative, but it's also not reassuring.

"The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground." -G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                I hope the devs still have a job and that the IP won't be rebooted and outsourced to different devs and writers. I mean, it probably won't, but it wouldn't be without precedent.
                Okay, pure speculation here: But if OP knew this deal was brewing, they wouldn't have just announced reviving oWoD with a new edition if they weren't optimistic about actually being able to make that new edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
                  This. Granted, given Paradox's comments about "reaching out this ignored community" (paraphrasing), it would be phenomenally stupid of them to clean house like that, but that doesn't mean we should discount the possibility.

Comment

Them saying that the community is ignored is quite telling, though. I assume they intend some changes. And why did they take up the "publishing" thing?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwingedheaven View Post

It's still not reassuring. I had been hoping for a simultaneous press release or statement from OP that would basically clear up the future of WW/OP properties right away. Now we have to wait longer for it. It doesn't necessarily mean anything negative, but it's also not reassuring.
                      Definitely. I'd be more concerned if I wasn't a rabid Paradox-Fanboy so they've definitely earned some advance on my trust in this. That's not a company looking for a quick buck, I'll say the most likely outcome is that they want to make new WoD computer games and just let OP continue doing the Pen & Paper stuff.

Comment

The line on white-wolf.com reading "Our goal is to centralize all aspects of the universe to manage it with the love and care it deserves. We’re now focusing on re-evaluating our business relationships to make sure we’re working with the best creators, developers and artists on the planet!" heavily implies they're weighing their options with The Onyx Path and any other companies that might have active contracts with White Wolf. Scary times.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogliostro View Post
                          Them saying that the community is ignored is quite telling, though. I assume they intend some changes.
                          Yeah, it's why I'm not automatically assuming this will be disastrous, just very concerned it will.

Comment

According to a Swedish article, Paradox will create a new division (own company) within Paradox to handle the license http://digital.di.se/artikel/paradox...rollspelsjatte

While I don't know what this means in practice, Paradox owns both the licenses for Mutant and Kult. Mutant is fairly recently released in a new version,Mutant year zero, and as I understand it someone is still making things for Mutant Chronicles. There is a new version of Kult in the making.

So, I would be surprised if Onyx Path and Paradox wouldn't be able to come to an agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Penta View Post
                              I'll way for a statement from The Onyx Path, before deciding whether this is good new or not. Depending on the exact licence they have to create World of Darkness and Exalted books, Paradox could for example revoke their licence, which would be a real shame.
                              I would not go with as much dark territories as saying that Paradox will revoke OPP licences - Onyx Path is still team of developers that know their stuff and from what I know WoD and related RPG IPs of White Wolf still makes superb games and game lines still makes income for the CCP.

There even can be no change in development schema, with now Paradox consultant, instead of CCP one, approving almost finished books on the last line before sending them to buyers.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                              LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Lundgren View Post
                                According to a Swedish article, Paradox will create a new division (own company) within Paradox to handle the license http://digital.di.se/artikel/paradox...rollspelsjatte

While I don't know what this means in practice, Paradox owns both the licenses for Mutant and Kult. Mutant is fairly recently released in a new version,Mutant year zero, and as I understand it someone is still making things for Mutant Chronicles. There is a new version of Kult in the making.

So, I would be surprised if Onyx Path and Paradox wouldn't be able to come to an agreement.
                                Yeah, and the new Mutant was also released in English, which at least indicates that someone at the top has the slightest head for business. Which I approve of, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X