DriveThru-RPG Print on Demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DriveThru-RPG Print on Demand

Hey folks, I was wondering about something and I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on the subject.

I've been ordering Print on Demand books from DriveThru-RPG(World of Darkness books) and I noticed some of the books don't have physical copy options available, just PDF's. I was wondering, will they eventually release such books in physical form? Is it just a matter of DriveThruRPG organizing and preparing each book to be printed and it just takes time? Similarly, do books that are Softback eventually get released in Hardback in some cases? I vaguely recall the book of the Invictus being softback, but then a Hardback version was available, and all the other Requiem clan books are softback.

DTRPG doesn't control those things (though they have to restrict certain options based on the needs of their PoD partner Lightning Source).

One of the biggest reasons you don't see some PDFs as being PoD available is that they're not the same file type. Publishers have to separate files for PDFs, and for the printer. For a lot of smaller publishers that's a bit of extra work. For a lot of older PDFs, that's a lot of extra work (because they're scans of old books, and making them print ready would mean completely recreating them).

I have no clue why Ventrue got a hardback option.

Comment

Oh, that is most unfortunate, it's created a level of uncertainty to when and if I will be able to acquire certain books. Simply scouring Amazon/Ebay is rather unreliable and often expensive for out of print books.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        I have no clue why Ventrue got a hardback option.
        They're poncy bastards who think they're better than everyone else.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
        Posts in this color are moderator posts
        Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
        Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Proteus View Post
          Oh, that is most unfortunate, it's created a level of uncertainty to when and if I will be able to acquire certain books. Simply scouring Amazon/Ebay is rather unreliable and often expensive for out of print books.
          For anything before WW went digital distribution, the general wisdom is don't count on it going to PoD if it hasn't already. It is unfortunate, but it's simply a massive amount of work for very little return on Onyx Path/new WW's part. There just isn't the demand for getting the back catalog to PoD status to really justify paying someone to sit there and do all the work to get those books there.

In the past, in similar threads, I've thrown around the idea of someone doing a Patreon drive for a freelancer of some sort to work on that as fast as we as a community are willing to pay for it to go, but I'm guessing that's still not really on the table.

Comment

The CoCD: Wyld book for Exalted second edition is PDF only, while the rest of the books are available as PoD. My guess is, that at times, it is a question of checking a box to much, or not enough, when the publisher uploads it to DriveThruStuff.

Comment

Working...
            X