No announcement yet.

The LGBT Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly don't know how making LeFou 'canon gay' really changes a damn thing. It's pretty much Dumbledore all over again. If he's gay because he's in love with Gaston, how is that different from the original Beauty and the Beast where he sings about Gaston's sexy muscles for five minutes, except that Disney isn't saying 'no homo' anymore?

I think it's just publicity and nothing else.

Comment

• Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
      I honestly don't know how making LeFou 'canon gay' really changes a damn thing. It's pretty much Dumbledore all over again. If he's gay because he's in love with Gaston, how is that different from the original Beauty and the Beast where he sings about Gaston's sexy muscles for five minutes, except that Disney isn't saying 'no homo' anymore?

I think it's just publicity and nothing else.
      It is absolutely just publicity and doesn't change anything. But it's a step in the right direction. Canon queer representation is better than queer baiting.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

If he's gay because he's in love with Gaston, how is that different from the original Beauty and the Beast where he sings about Gaston's sexy muscles for five minutes, except that Disney isn't saying 'no homo' anymore?
        Well, animation seems a bit more homoerotic as scene in my POV. See live actors scene clip below:

And animation one:

And to add a bit lighter tone on topic - and pointing to latest Logan movie - you can see that Hugh Jackman would be better Gaston if he would be taken to Disney movie... #TeamHugh

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
        WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          It is absolutely just publicity and doesn't change anything. But it's a step in the right direction. Canon queer representation is better than queer baiting.
          Agreed, but not all queer represenation is good either. But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir, so to speak, here.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

That's true...it's just sometimes a little frustrating. At least it has people talking.

Comment

• Two subtopics to change a Thread a bit - In Canada, there was first public gay kiss by Navy sailor. Discussion on my Facebook profile went over to mention that in Quebec there was shooting on to muslims. So I pointed that LGBTQ in muslims countries is not so black and white matter as many thinks of it. And that there are proLGBTQ muslims societies.

Comment

• So, uh, dragging this thread out of storage because I'd like to talk about something.

So, I came out as bisexual for the first time around June of last year. I've got a lot of childhood trauma issues which made me really really scared of sex and sexuality in general until I was 21-ish, when I finally forced myself to 'get over it' with my then-girlfriend. It wasn't until last year that I realized that those same trauma issues, coupled with how (unfortunately) frowned upon homosexuality is, kept me from really ever knowing my sexuality. I didn't really ever have a big queer realization moment - by the time I realized I was bi, I was happily in a monogamous relationship with a ciswoman - I just grew comfortable enough in myself and my sexuality to realize "whoa, I am sexually attracted to men." I've always been romantically attracted to men, and pretty open and honest about that, but the sex part was what scared me, because, as I said, issues.

So, anyhow, spiel aside, I am happily in a monogamous relationship with a ciswoman that will likely span the rest of my life, given that we are engaged and work together extremely well. So it is extremely unlikely I will ever actually be with a man, despite the potential to be with a man. (But does that make me any less bi than someone who has never had a relationship at all? I hope my deep, deep insecurity over my own sexuality doesn't break the rule in the first post.)

Which brings me to the point...I'm returning to this VtM LARP that I've been on-and-off with for like two years now (I hate LARPs, but I miss my friends.) And my character is going to be bi, with a preference for men. And he's got an evil ex-boyfriend in the Sabbat who he's still not over. (Old Flame flaw.) It's your typical sexy gay vampires situation. And part of me is so excited to be a queer character with queer feelings and queer relationships, and part of me is incredibly nervous.

and uh, yeah. I guess it's kind of stupid. But I figure the LGBT thread on the Onyx Path forum would be the best place to talk about this!

Comment

(But does that make me any less bi than someone who has never had a relationship at all? I hope my deep, deep insecurity over my own sexuality doesn't break the rule in the first post.)
                  I don't think it counts as breaking the rule if it's your own sexuality you're questioning But I did want to address this because it's a pretty common question. And I would say no, it doesn't in any way make you less bi, any more than a straight virgin is "less straight" for not having had sex with someone of the only gender they are attracted to. The attitude that one must actively engage in sexual relations with people of all genders to which they experience attraction for their sexuality to be considered valid is nonsense, and a major contributor to bi erasure.

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't need feel insecure about who you are attracted to just because you don't act on that attraction. You're also in good company among people who's sexualities include multiple genders and are in monogamous relationships.
                  Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-18-2017, 12:43 AM.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Bad things are happening to LGBTQ in Poland. Our government is sending Prosecutors' Offices to check if homosexual couples are requesting in our civil registration offices documents to take marriage abroad. Many start to see analogs to Operation Hyacinth, invigilation of gay and lesbians in 1980's by Polish communist police. It's unsettling as Prosecutors Office is look over your sexual life.
                    In Hyacinth Operation popular were Pink Folders, personal acts on watched individuals. I commented on Facebook that I would rather like Blue or Green, as Pink not works with my face.

Yesterday, 'Mom and Dad Foundation' show their ultrahomophobic spot to pass in Gay Propagnada Law in European Union, analog to one from Russia and Lithuania. What's worst, our now President's father, Prof. Duda, is stating his very strong supporting opinion in there. Being father our nation's head, it sounds very unsettling.

So, in the nutshell, our governing 'Law and Justice' party - that I dearly hate and would want them to stop destroy Poland, not only from nonhetero perspective - is starting to make moves against LGBTQ people. I'm not religious person ( more theistic agnostic ), but I really pray that our government be moved from rule and we return to normal situation in country.

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post
                    (But does that make me any less bi than someone who has never had a relationship at all? I hope my deep, deep insecurity over my own sexuality doesn't break the rule in the first post.)
                    I had reverse problem - all the life I knew I been attracted to men. Then, when was 19 years old, I fell in love with women and had some fun. And only then I understood I'm not only gay, but more bi with strong gay inclinations.
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-18-2017, 12:58 AM.

Comment

So, anyhow, spiel aside, I am happily in a monogamous relationship with a ciswoman that will likely span the rest of my life, given that we are engaged and work together extremely well. So it is extremely unlikely I will ever actually be with a man, despite the potential to be with a man. (But does that make me any less bi than someone who has never had a relationship at all? I hope my deep, deep insecurity over my own sexuality doesn't break the rule in the first post.)
                      Bisexuality is not like Harmony from Werewolf: The Forsaken. You don't have to be in relationships with an equal number of men and women lest you fall into homosexuality/heterosexuality. Just because you've been with more women than men doesn't mean you're any less bi than someone with a perfect 50/50 split. You have someone who makes you happy and you make her happy, so go for it! Plus, you're not under some obligation to have relationships with other men to prove your bisexuality (just ignore what certain parts of the LGBT community claim) any more than being straight demands you to have relationships with several women to prove your straightness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beriorn View Post
                        Bisexuality is not like Harmony from Werewolf: The Forsaken.
                        True, but it does come with shapeshifting powers.

Comment

True, but it does come with shapeshifting powers.
                          Uratha in WtF 2E have sex change powers.

Comment

• I'm in a weird spot in that I'm settling pretty comfortably into labeling myself a lesbian, but I'm still attracted to nonhuman male characters and am in a relationship with a man.

Strange world.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              I'm in a weird spot in that I'm settling pretty comfortably into labeling myself a lesbian, but I'm still attracted to nonhuman male characters and am in a relationship with a man.

Strange world.
                              Who could blame you? masculinity is so much hotter on nonhuman characters than on human men (in my opinion - nothing against those who are attracted to and/or are themselves masculine human men).

Comment

To your credit, masculinity is so much hotter on nonhuman characters than on human men (in my opinion - nothing against those who are attracted to and/or are themselves human men).
                                Exactly. Real men are frightening and not really worth looking at; lion men and alien boys and all that are both safer and much more aesthetically/sexually compelling.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X