The LGBT Thread II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California to Arizona can be a jump.

I should add there is trans, but there is a lot in the gender fluid and gender queer range. You may want to look into that. And the trans Q+A thread is still there too as a resource

Onyx Path Moderator
    Forum Rules
    This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
    [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

So, the Summum magazine (one of Quebec's erotic publications) last's issue has a trans-women as its covergirl. PR people of the magazine stated that this initiative was born of two desires:

1- Have people talk about them (it's a publicity stunt)
      2- Inform people of the various issues of a transition because, as our Prime Minister said, "it's 2016"

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
      Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
      Keywords: Mute
      Duration: Instant
      Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Many trans people I know have felt somewhat different or off their entire lives, yet my feelings of dysphoria and curiosity about mt gender has almost entirely started in the last year. At the risk of sounding like an asshole, what are the odds of my feelings being legitimate and not just me imitating the queer people around me and/or hoping that maybe gender expression in the secret to beating my longstanding depression and anxiety?

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          Many trans people I know have felt somewhat different or off their entire lives, yet my feelings of dysphoria and curiosity about mt gender has almost entirely started in the last year. At the risk of sounding like an asshole, what are the odds of my feelings being legitimate and not just me imitating the queer people around me and/or hoping that maybe gender expression in the secret to beating my longstanding depression and anxiety?
          This is just my personal philosophy, but I believe all feelings are legitimate. If you're feeling dysphoric and curious about your gender, that's a good sign to explore your gender more and see if anything fits better. If what you find is that even after experimenting you're still most comfortable in the gender you were assigned at birth, that's ok too and absolutely doesn't de-legitimize those feelings.

As for the fact that a lot of trans people have felt somewhat different their entire lives, don't let that stop you. For many trans people, "I've always felt this way" is a realization arrived at retroactively. For example, you mentioned longstanding depression and anxiety? It's entirely possible that those feelings stem from misidentified gender dysphoria or body dysmorphia. If you find that to be the case, then you have felt somewhat different your entire life, you just didn't know why until recently.

On the other hand, maybe they are unrelated, and your curiosity now doesn't have any identifiable analogue in your early life. That's ok too! Not all trans people have those feelings their whole lives. Gender is not as fixed as many of us are brought up believing, and you may have been perfectly comfortable as one gender your whole life up until recently and be a different gender now. It does happen, and it happens more often than it may seem. It's often easier for trans people to gain acceptance if they claim to have felt it all their lives, even if they didn't really. The "born this way" narrative has helped and does help in gaining acceptance within a society that still holds on to very rigid ideas about gender, but it's also limiting and makes it much harder for some people who develop trans feelings later in life to come to terms with their own identities.

So, long story short, don't worry if you haven't felt this way before. You feel it now, and that's what matters. Embrace it, explore it, see where it leads you, and even if it leads you to deciding you're fine as-is, it's still a valuable experience to have explored. If you have any questions or just want someone to talk to, I'm happy to help, as I'm sure many others here would be.
          Last edited by Charlaquin; 05-03-2016, 11:35 AM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            And I have a bit silly mem in topic - It's not to offend any one, but it clearly would solve latest laws problems in USA.

That mem, gave me a much needed chuckle... Thanks.

Comment

People catch this one? https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2df_story.html

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

Yeah. It didn't really seem like anyone here was going to do anything about it. Still, disappointing that it takes such a strong move for the right thing to be done. So much wrong with the state and no one in a position to make a difference seems interested in doing so.

Comment

It's one of those things where money will keep flowing out if they don't act. Which is the state forcing sanction onto the public, but... I'm not sure what else can be done at this point.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

Comment

I am glad for this thread. To me the LGBT community and WoD are intricately tied. My gaming and realization of my sexual orientation came at about a six month period of each other. I started gaming with VtM and it helped me realize that I was normal (especially in a gaming line that so tied with our real world) and that we (the LGBT community) were people instead of the bible belt stereotypes I had been fed. We could be heroes, we could be villains, we could be everything. We could fight against Gehenna, we could stand up to Black Spiral Dancers, hells, we could be a sensual paradigm matchstick for a Cult of Ecstasy practitioner!

I, personally, try to include something LGBT in all of the games I run, as an honor to this. In my Sabbat game that has sadly halted my group's favorite NPC pack is the drag/ball scene centric "House of Momma Caine" which includes a drag queen with my drag name of Ida Bomb who has conflated Lilith and Caine with the mythological Rebis figure to assuage the difficulties between Lilins and Noddists. Ida Bomb also gets out of drag into a "Larry the Cable Guy"-esque man known as "Dylan McKenzie" to whip up the NRA and hate groups into attacking politicians, media stars, and documentary directors instead of the Miami gay scene.

So, instead of just bragging, I am curious: Do you, as an ST (if this applies) use the LGBT community in your games? Have you, as a player, ever played an LGBT character? How do you feel the WoD handles the LGBT issues? Do you like ferrets? (okay the last is filler: who doesn't like stank weasels?)

Debating between ghouls and hunters PbP

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                      Do you, as an ST (if this applies) use the LGBT community in your games?
                      At least one LGBT NPC per game. Had great werebear that was literal Gay Bear in my Forsaken game an he mentioned that one of his boyfriend was werefox.

Have you, as a player, ever played an LGBT character?
                      Mostly bisexuals. I had this great bisex confused private investigator in New Orleans Vigil game in 1960s we play last year.

How do you feel the WoD handles the LGBT issues?
                      Do not know, cause I run and play CoD - but I even made praising topic on subject, as each new rulebook for Chronicles of Darkness lines has LGBT archetypes stated in them as examples.

Do not know precisly where in Requiem, but in Forsaken Touchstones are shown on 'gay fiance that can be hurt by PC' in example and there is basic Gift that let you change sex ( as Luna is changing Mother/Father ) and in Awakening we have corebook fiction about lesbian married couple, sex changes in Astral bodies and transsexual Legacy human evolutionist called Daksha. In Beast, there is stated 'IT manager by day, drag king by night' concept.

Do you like ferrets? (okay the last is filler: who doesn't like stank weasels?)
                      Only on my plate.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-26-2016, 03:51 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I have a lot of queer stuff in my games. My Geist game of the 8 PCs we have had over 6 years 5 were queer, and there are deliberate queer themes with the game. Changeling half the 6 PCs are queer, though for the most part it is more taken as a given then examined in a queer context. Demon (which is complicated) 4 of the 6 PCs have had at least one queer cover, and my crossover game 5 of 7 PCs are queer. That crossover is set in the 1920s-40s, so I am really trying to work in an exploration of how queer people lived in the 20s, and looking at queer culture in Paris and Berlin (so far). And the Masquerade game I ran and have stuff up for pretty much everyone was queer. Same sex romance is as common as opposite sex romance, and all have relationships play a major part. These games have had everything from freakouts after same sex encounters to people trying to pray their gay away, to happy relationships and even examinations of poly and BDSM, though there are of course non-poly characters and only a small handful enage in Kink (that is discussed).

Now, most of the queer characters are lesbian or bisexual/pansexual women, but not all of them. In my CoD games, the vast majority, 10 of the 14 queer female characters, are played by women, just like all three queer male characters are played by men. In my WoD one, all 4 female queer PCs are played by women, 2/3 of the male ones played by men.

Part of this is very deliberate, I see many fiction narratives for Urban Fantasy/Supernatural Mystery and few of them have any queer characters, and if they do one or two who are not main characters. Not my games. I have made a deliberate attempt to work these narratives into the story, and I have put them up so people can enjoy reading them (I swear some of them have 2 or 3 full novels by now). And players who don't want to play queer characters....don't, and all is well. So yea it is pretty major. If you asked me how much queer stuff I have worked in, I'd say "pretty much the whole damn thing"

ETA: To Directly answer the questions, #1 see above, #2 almost exclusively, #3 I feel the WoD and CoD deal with LGBT issues fairly well, with the occasional stumble, but my god there are queer characters going all the way back to Vampire 1st edition. What is impressive isn't the pretty good job they do now, it's the fact they were doing a great job for the time as far back as the 90s. #4 No I am a cat person, but I don't hate them.
                        Last edited by Baroness Nerak; 05-26-2016, 05:21 AM.

Onyx Path Moderator
                        Forum Rules
                        This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
                        [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

I always include LGBTQIA NPCs in my games. I've played characters all over the sexual orientation spectrum, but only once played a trans character. That one was right around the time that I was really starting to come to terms with my own gender, and served as something of a trial coming out among my gaming friends. I figured, while I may not have been confident enough to come out (yet), I could at least play a character who was. If I ever revisited her she would look pretty different now that I've been involved in trans communities for longer and learned more about trans issues, but she was a big step for me at the time. I haven't really played WoD but I think CofD does an amazing job with LGBTQIA representation. As Nerak says, they've made some mistakes along the road, but the important thing is they've been making an effort since the 90s, and they've only gotten better over time. I love ferrets, I would like to get two some day and name them spook and specter.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I tend to be in games where there are LGBTQIA characters all over. So I use NPCs who fit in there. Now, generally, we see women in those, but that's because most of the people I know tend to (historically) focus on women NPCs. Though they'd deny it.

One of my favorite characters was a young theoretically hetero man, but seriously gray A. His fiancee and he were at a party and he keeps getting people trying to proposition him because A) charming and beautiful, while a bit unearthly and B) he's a prince. She wondered why he seemed so discomforted, then realized it wasn't because he was attracted and she was there but because he WASN'T attracted, so he had no interest whatsoever in anyone but her. But most of my characters are not straight.

The thing about WoD is... I think the 20s have changed it for the better on these and other issues. CoD has been getting better, but they started out in a pretty good place.

I like cats the most, but ferrets are great. Not just for hunting anymore!

Comment

The last chronicle I was in had tension between my character and another due to differences in personality, ad we very organically decided that they were on again, off again lovers that had hurt each other too many times to count. That they were both men didn't even come up. I think my character then went on to sleep with every male PC despite me originally planning on him being straight?

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Werewolf actually brought me and my wife together.

She was a little anti-gay when we met, and I didn't really set out to change that, but one of my NPCs changed several of my players minds, including my future wife. He was a Wolfblood who used to belong to the Ivory Claws, because they were sure due to heritage he would Change, he was allowed to know (remember 1st ed). Due to stuff he ran away as a teen taking his newly Changed crush with him, they eventually married and are there when the players first Change. He was supposed to be a one time character but people loved him and his husband, and years after the game still reference both characters.

The guy all about survival, always with a silver bullet nearby and ineptly trying to teach werewolves how to werewolf disseminated from Pure Lore he learned as a kid. He's devoted but a little crazy. Crafty and enough Willpower to avoid Lunacy. Mostly he was the Dude in distress, but due to his personality and nature the players never seemed to mind and went out of their way to help him or just get him to like them. He looked older than his age due to always being dressed for inconspicousness, was a bit small compared to them. He did the jobs they couldn't, taking pride in his role as the "loophole". Telling people that needed to be told, and killing werewolves that needed to be killed, usually with silver. His Morality was incredibly low and he was a paranoid guy who nevertheless was intelligent, careful, and very loving even if he didn't express it in the usual way. His husband was the typical lovable lug who still had a bit of trouble with Death Rage, but a great fighter, emotionally intelligent, and socially driven. The two were often physically affectionate, while being subtlely affectionate in other ways. ie the Wolfblood always running his fingers absently through his husbands fur when he was in Urhan or gentle whispers when the other was upset.

My wife had been dealing with her own Bisexuality for a while, and went from being mildly anti-gay to coming out a few weeks after that game ended. 5 years later, and we're about to have our 2nd anniversary. We always have at least 2 LGBT characters whether minor or major. We've had a gay trans man detective, Lesbian military medic, a bisexual trans woman who hunts Bale hounds, asexual bigender leader of the Guardians of the Veil. and several more I feel like if you make characters first, most people don't care about their sexuality/gender.

Comment

Working...
                                X