X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baroness Nerak
    started a topic The LGBT Thread II

The LGBT Thread II

The other thread went south, so we needed a fresh start. So this thread is for the queer community to chat and support each other, much like the last. It is not only for them, of course.

A couple notes:

Questioning people's gender or sexuality is not okay. Conflating groups with posters here (which include every element of the "alphabet") of being child predators is not okay. The Mods are not in a good mood about this at the moment as it is a civil rights flashpoint at the time of this writing. You are advised to be circumspect in any critical posting of groups that post here. We are not lying in wait, but for a number of us this is our life.

With that out of the way please by all means post.

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So this weekend we had our local, big convention - on circa 5000 participants - and I was suddenly asked to be panelist on topic of 'Representation of minorities in fantasy and science-fiction'. So here is my picture from the event. 🌈😎🌈

Leave a comment:

• Willowfang
    replied
    I just finished S4 of She-Ra, and wow, the end of S3, and S4 got dark quick

And yeah, I looked up the Enby doing DT, cause they had such in interesting voice. Pretty cool choice to be DT's voice, such an interesting character. I might be inspired by Jacob Tobia/Double Trouble to play a Changeling character of some sort in the future

Jacob Tobia ---> https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8866560/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Double Trouble from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is confirmed to be non-binary, and has a non-binary voice actor.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I have re-written Storytelling Hints by Charlequin points - it look right now this:

Storytelling Hints: Asklepios have secret. As a snake, he likes to shed his skin – and break taboo of Byzantium. Death of wife open him to false duality of humanity. In his free time, Asklepios roams the streets of Constantinople as a woman, using Life magic to change her body to more closely reflect her self-image. Asklepios’ identity is fluid, and the Church would burn them if they found out.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    I made first transgenered (?) or non-binary(?) NPC for my games that I think will stick more in play. He ( They? ) are mage from 800 AD Constantinople for Mage: The Awakening 2E, from Thyrsus Path that are shamans and shapechangers. I hope it's good representation of genderfluid identity? More to read and full stats are on http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1344875-dark-eras-fan-constantinople-–-early-medieval-istanbul-turkey-–-700-–-1000-ad?p=1346745#post1346745"]original post of NPC[/URL].
    Some finer points on the English: We say transgender, not transgendered. No “ed” at the end. Though, for this character, the term bigender might be an appropriate description, rather than genderfluid (more on that later).

Your Storytelling Hints section also has some language that, to an English speaker, doesn’t come across the way I think you meant it to. To be specific:

Storytelling Hints: Asklepios have secret. As a snake, he likes to shed his skin – and break taboo of Byzantium. Death of wife open him to false duality of humanity. At free time, he become she with Life magic – and roams a streets of Constantinople as physical women.
    So, “he becomes she” ends up sounding kind of insensitive. I’m sure that was not your intent, and it’s difficult to explain why this sounds so wrong to me, but I would recommend changing this. As well, “a physical woman” comes across as very trans-medicalist, which again, I don’t think was your intent. I might recommend something like “in his free time, Asklepios roams the streets of Constantinople as a woman, using Life magic to change her body to more closely reflect her self-image.”

It’s real identity is They. If Church would know, they would burn They.
    In English, we never refer to people as “it.” It’s considered dehumanizing, and is especially problematic when used to describe trans or non-binary people. As I mentioned earlier though, this character sounds like I would describe as bigender (someone who switches between two or more different genders at different times). My partner is bigender, so if you have any questions about portraying a bigender character I would be happy to pass them along to them. I can tell you, my partner prefers they/them when referring to them generally, and she/her or he/him when referring to either of their gender expressions specifically. In other words, I say they/them when talking about “my partner,” he/him when talking about Adrian, and she/her when talking about Jennifer. So I might recommend revising this sentence to something more along the lines of, “ Asklepios’ identity is fluid, and the church would burn them if they found out.” The context is enough to convey that Asklepios would prefer they/them pronouns, without the awkward-sounding “their true identity is they” phrasing.
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 11-07-2019, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I made first transgener (?) or non-binary(?) NPC for my games that I think will stick more in play. He ( They? ) are mage from 800 AD Constantinople for Mage: The Awakening 2E, from Thyrsus Path that are shamans and shapechangers. I hope it's good representation of genderfluid identity? More to read and full stats are on original post of NPC.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Mage – Asklepios – Omphalos Sworn

Quote: ‘Snakes are healers – I will heal you and your soul.’

Background: Awakened known as Asklepios was second ( or even fifth )-tier physician of the Imperial Court in Constantinople. He got there after years of his driver to be ‘best doctore’ in his small community. He was broken – and then Awakened – when next wave of Justinian Plague took his young wife. Asklepios then command the snakes that attacked him in Primal Wild. He then was driven to lore about sickness to Imperial Library, where he joined Keepers of the Word. He want to end the Contagions once and for all.

Description: Greek man in late 30s, with dark hairs and full beard, in ‘doctore’ tunic. He somehow looks like Byzantine version of Zeus. In women form ( see Storytelling Hints ) she looks like delicate sister he never had.

Storytelling Hints: Asklepios have secret. As a snake, he likes to shed his skin – and break taboo of Byzantium. Death of wife open him to false duality of humanity. At free time, he become she with Life magic – and roams a streets of Constantinople as physical women. It’s real identity is They. If Church would know, they would burn They.

Dedicated Magical Tools: Wooden Stuff
    Path: Thyrsus
    Order: Keepers of the Word ( and Omphalos Sworn )

(...)

Wisdom: 6
    Virtue: Ambitious – They wants to ‘save the world’ from ‘sickens’ ( Contagions )
    Vice: Dangerous – They is not looking at the good of others in achieving their goals
    Aspirations:
    • Short: Healing people
    • Long: Live free as two sexes in Byzantium
    Obsessions:[LIST][*]Plague of Justinian ( Black Death ) – and ‘dead returning’[*]Iconoclasm Contagion
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-07-2019, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I feel like having some cereal.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    #Joyacaust - Controversial opinion - 'Joyacaust' song from Transparent TV series finale is need for all minorities touched by Holocaust. Remembering is important - but suffering cannot cloud whole of our lives. It's the same with LGBT+ and it's why we need joyful remembrance our history. That's why Prides and Equality Marches look like they look.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-30-2019, 01:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    Just noticed we’re on page 69. Nice.
    With all the people I have blocked, it's 67. :/

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Just noticed we’re on page 69. Nice.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    To put on the heat and in spirit of this discussion - I'm myself much more like real life protester. Participated in around 50 of prodemocratic and proLGBT+ manifestation in last 3 years. ( And helped with 2 Equality Marches and 1 Feminist Manifestation as support for main organizers. ) I generally say that we only fight our rights on the streets.

HOWEVER, I was really glad that we finally got our first rainbow bank commercial in Poland - we are normalizing here, at least in business. Seeing how on the West bank commercials are first large step for integration of LGBT+, from history, it makes me simply happy. Maybe there is still hope for Poland? Maybe in 5-10 years we will become normal, European country? If PiS and Konfederation loose their power? Maybe...

As to why banks commercial are so important - banks are very conservative structures. They are based on money trading, always points how 'safe' they are, looking for older customers. Classical conservative electorate. When banks in particular country looks for LGBT+ clients, it means that LGBT+ are becoming really part of society, that even (mild) conservatives are starting to acknowledge them. After banks, it simply start of all kinds of businesses to support LGBT+ - or at least it's what I see looking on history of movement around Western countries. Here is our first polish rainbow bank commercial:

But hey, I'm just old-fashioned social-democrat ( sometimes called 'communist' in my far-right Poland, even by my father ). Not anarchist saying we do not need state. Not social-liberal that only looks for profit and markets to sell products. Just old-fashioned guy 'we should try to get minorities on proper standing - and having unions and standards in work is sometimes needed'.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    Read baroness post. I get it.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    My understanding of the controversy over it largely comes from what the Baroness posted right below the post you quoted. I'd suggest reading that to get a sort of answer to your question if you haven't already. I think that should inform you at least why some members of the LGBT community are uncomfortable with corporate presence at festivals that started off as counterculture protests

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    Sorry I was just curious

Leave a comment:

Working...
X