X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baroness Nerak
    started a topic The LGBT Thread II

The LGBT Thread II

The other thread went south, so we needed a fresh start. So this thread is for the queer community to chat and support each other, much like the last. It is not only for them, of course.

A couple notes:

Questioning people's gender or sexuality is not okay. Conflating groups with posters here (which include every element of the "alphabet") of being child predators is not okay. The Mods are not in a good mood about this at the moment as it is a civil rights flashpoint at the time of this writing. You are advised to be circumspect in any critical posting of groups that post here. We are not lying in wait, but for a number of us this is our life.

With that out of the way please by all means post.

• Kleptomania
    replied
    Well, that's disturbing. I don't know how such bigotry took root in Poland.

I hope the so called 'Law and Justice' party gets voted out at the nearest opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Another week in pseudofascist Poland...

The Polish conservative newspaper, Gazeta Polska, has said it will distribute "LGBT-free zone" stickers with its next issue.

'The stickers show a black cross superimposed on a rainbow flag. The weekly publication - which has a circulation of around 110,000 - openly supports the conservative governing Law and Justice party (PiS).
    The move was criticised by the US ambassador to Poland, who said the stickers promoted hatred.
    The newspaper's editor said his own views and those of the ambassador should both be respected.
    A preview of the sticker was posted on Gazeta Polska's Twitter feed on Wednesday and it is due to be included in next week's edition.
    US ambassador to Poland Georgette Mosbacher expressed concern.
    "I am disappointed and concerned that some groups use stickers to promote hatred and intolerance. We respect freedom of speech, but we must stand together on the side of values such as diversity and tolerance," Ms Mosbacher tweeted.'

Positive fact: Campaign Against Homophobia ( KPH ), largest pro LGBT+ NGO in Poland, is informing notify the prosecutor's office about the possibility of spreading totalitarian regimes or inciting hatred on the basis of national, ethnic, racial and religious differences. But prosecutor's office is under PiS-related Minister of Justice, Zbigniew Ziobro.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    So so so grateful for the term “Bambi lesbian.”

Leave a comment:

• Baroness Nerak
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I thought that was a U-Haul rental?
    That's where we go once we meet.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
    Ah Ikea, the traditional lesbian meeting place...
    I thought that was a U-Haul rental?

Leave a comment:

• Baroness Nerak
    replied
    Ah Ikea, the traditional lesbian meeting place...

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    From other news, private news - I help organize second Equality March in Lublin in September and started my own LGBT+ RPGs Facebook group, after the first one that was 'stolen' by other moderation I come to conflict with on running policies.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-16-2019, 01:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Returning to 'capitalism and LGBT+' - and pointing to our latest Polish news...

IKEA SUED BY WORKER FIRED FOR POSTING ANTI-GAY BIBLE QUOTES, ATTACKING 'PROMOTION OF HOMOSEXUALITY'

'Ikea is being sued by a former employee who claims he was fired for refusing to take down anti-gay comments from the company's intranet. (...) On May 16, International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, the Swedish furniture maker posted an article on its internal website, underscoring support for the LGBT community. The post also encouraged employees to ask customers what pronoun they preferred and engage in conversations with LGBT customers about their partners and families.

That didn't sit right with at least one employee in Cracow ( Newsweek made mistake here with Warsaw ), identified only as Tomasz K. He told Polish state broadcaster TVP Info, "I've been hired to sell furniture but I'm a Catholic and these aren't my values."

Tomasz posted a comment to the article, reportedly writing that "acceptance and promotion of homosexuality and other deviations is a source of scandal."
    He also included two Bible verses: One, Matthew 18:6, reads, "Woe to him through whom scandals come, it would be better for him to tie a millstone around his neck and plunge him in the depths of the sea."

The other, Leviticus 20:13, decrees, "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Shortly after leaving his comments, Tomasz said he was called in by management and asked to take them down. "I said that I cannot withdraw my words because this is a quote from the Holy Bible," he told TVP Info." As a Catholic I can not censure God."

Not long after, Tomasz was brought back in and told his contract was being terminated. "I was supposed to pack, empty my locker and give them my ID," he said.

Tomasz filed a lawsuit against Ikea last week, alleging religious discrimination and wrongful termination. His case has been taken up by the Ordo Iuris Institute for Legal Culture, an ultra-conservative Polish group opposing LGBT rights and access to abortion. In a statement on the Ordo Iuris website, Tomasz insisted he believed "every man deserves respect."

"My post was a reaction to indoctrination, which I had been subjected to in the workplace for years," he added. "The attitude imposed on IKEA employees on the postulates of the LGBT movement is radically different from the teaching of the Catholic Church flowing from the Holy Scriptures or accept a situation in which the employer forces me to change my worldview."

He said working at IKEA didn't mean he had to "represent the ideology of its owners."

Tomasz denied his comments encouraged violence against homosexuals: "You do not need to be a theologian or a philosopher to realize that the Holy Bible is not read in a literal way, and its text is full of allegories and hyperbole."

But Ikea maintained his post "could affect the rights and dignity of LGBT+ persons."'

In my home city Lublin, there is billboard now before our local Ikea 'about repression of Catholics from quotes of Bible'.

To sum-up: Poland in year 2019. More of Ikea answer and statements in linked Newsweek article... Next furniture I plan to buy in Ikea.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-16-2019, 01:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Iethloc
    replied
    I recently remembered tomorrow is the 4th anniversary of me accepting that I am transgender. It's been a very long journey, one that I have yet to finish, but I am glad to have started it.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Moral of the story: capitalism ruins everything. In other news, studies show a correlation between hydrogen dioxide and moisture.

Leave a comment:

• Baroness Nerak
    replied
    I have a few ways of looking at this...

1) Yeah, they are totally trying to cash in on queer people as a way to get money.

2) Some, however, have done real good. Several organizations pressured my start to drop HB2, and other states backed off on similar legislation. The fact is, corporate pressure is doing as much, if not more, for civil rights than community action in several places, especially in the South, because money talks. Now not all these case for everyone showing a rainbow, and not saying corporations are good but the fact is, love or hate, many places we have more rights for their intervention. I personally do.

3) Other good news. Just 15 years ago this was fanciful to think at best. 25 years ago it would be utterly unthinkable that companies would align themselves with gay people. Yes, this is greed, but this is amazing. A lot of older LGBTQ+ folks break down in tears seeing all these companies competing to see how gay friendly they are.

So it's complicated. Corporations are awful, greedy entities that do make life worse. They have too much money, and can be said to be Part of the Problem. But without their lobbying, many of us outside very liberal states would not have the rights we do, and many coporations are lobbying for LGBTQ+ causes on a federal level, throwing just an insane amount of money about it.

so...yeah.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Last year, the first thing I saw at Pride was a float for... Chipotle. I literally turned around and went back inside.

This year, I expected to be let down again, but could not have possibly braced for “giant projected image of a transgender symbol that morphed into a Coor’s Light logo.”

Fuck this.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
    So gay, Lady Liberty gave The Motherland a booty call.

(That’s not too oblique, is it?)
    I mean, I enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• Charlaquin
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    How gay was it?

So gay, Lady Liberty gave The Motherland a booty call.

(That’s not too oblique, is it?)
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-05-2019, 03:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X