Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Have Specific Voices In Your Mind For Other Users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do You Have Specific Voices In Your Mind For Other Users?

    I have noticed that my imagined voices are influenced by their current user pic just as much as their other posts. They also tend to be vague, rather than similar to any specific voice actors (I pick these for PCs and NPCs).

    If you feel like describing how you imagine others sound like, go ahead, but don't be rude about it.

    For example, PenDragon says in their signature to read their posts in the voice of Don Knotts. It doesn't specify what age or what role. I read their posts into a slow, tranquil and scholarly tone, like a grandfather reading a bedtime story.

    I'm curious about what others think I might sound like.
    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 04-30-2016, 07:36 PM.


    "Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

  • #2
    I do have what I refer to as "reading voices" for the posters that I recognize.

    I know they are nothing at all like the people's real voices, and they don't even really match to specific voices I could reference, but they certainly exist.

    I'm not even sure why the voices in my head ended up being what they are, beyond that I read Mr. Gone's posts as if spoken by a cartoon villain for obvious reasons.


    Not so noble anymore.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't imagine voices exactly, but I do get an impression of tone based on usernames, profile pictures, and sometimes writing style with people who post frequently enough for me to get a sense of theirs. For example, Arcane Arts has generally had a soft, friendly, even tone, though it has taken on a more sultry quality in my mind since they switched their picture to the attractive redhead. Satchel has a much more dry, severe-but-informative kind of tone. Gibbering, you used have a much more frantic tone to me, back when you were Gotta Go Feast and used various pictures of ravenous characters. Now that you've switched to Gibbering Eloquence and Groot, your tone has shifted to something more methodical and refined.


      Onyx Path Forum Moderator

      My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        I don't imagine voices exactly, but I do get an impression of tone based on usernames, profile pictures, and sometimes writing style with people who post frequently enough for me to get a sense of theirs. For example, Arcane Arts has generally had a soft, friendly, even tone, though it has taken on a more sultry quality in my mind since they switched their picture to the attractive redhead. Satchel has a much more dry, severe-but-informative kind of tone. Gibbering, you used have a much more frantic tone to me, back when you were Gotta Go Feast and used various pictures of ravenous characters. Now that you've switched to Gibbering Eloquence and Groot, your tone has shifted to something more methodical and refined.
        I always imagined Arc as a having a cheerful and playful tone, which becomes sharper when they are ranting or otherwise explaining something in detail. I imagine Satchel's voice much like you do. To me, you have a measured but welcoming tone, like a tour guide or teacher.

        I'm glad to know my tone has become more thoughtful from your perspective. I'm trying to think twice before speaking nowadays, and the new username works as a personal reminder. Groot might become my main user pic from now on, like Arc used to periodically switch back to Moppet from Return To Labyrinth.


        "Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          To me, you have a measured but welcoming tone, like a tour guide or teacher.
          That's good to hear, as that's about how I try to sound in my writing.


          Onyx Path Forum Moderator

          My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

          Comment


          • #6
            I got teacher, too. Or assistant principal. But that's more of a vibe, I think, than a voice, if that makes sense. I don't particularly attribute voices so much as personalities, I guess, sometimes tinted by parts of peoples lives they post about themselves. It probably doesn't help that I skip around when reading rather than go for a read-through, though apparently that's common. I cut out signatures a while back so I don't really see that stuff unless I'm at another computer but as I recall they did sort of give posters more 'personality.' The mod thing probably helps inspire the authoritative identity.
            Last edited by nofather; 05-02-2016, 04:36 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nofather View Post
              I got teacher, too. Or assistant principal. But that's more of a vibe, I think, than a voice, if that makes sense. I don't particularly attribute voices so much as personalities, I guess, sometimes tinted by parts of peoples lives they post about themselves. It probably doesn't help that I skip around when reading rather than go for a read-through, though apparently that's common. I cut out signatures a while back so I don't really see that stuff unless I'm at another computer but as I recall they did sort of give posters more 'personality.' The mod thing probably helps inspire the authoritative identity.
              Yeah, you described it more accurately than me. It's closer to a vibe or impression. Even though you are not a mod, I imagine that you have a deep and assertive voice, with clear enunciation. That's because of how concise your posts are, but also the way you explained why Werewolf is your favorite game.


              "Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

              Comment


              • #8
                woo i'm not strange then for putting voices to random people!

                Its hard to describe how posters "sound" in my head. I dont really pay much mind to username, but avatars tend to push my brain as well as writting style. To me every poster has a different tone, even if its minor. Some are agressive in my head, others softer. Some make me giggle cause the voice my brain assigned them well was funny.

                ​A couple I was pretty spot on though! AzraelFirestorm Thorbes You two pretty much sounded damn close to what I had in my head, as far as tone and how you speak. (I cant really say to much on thorbes voice as I only had a split second to hear it, but what i did hear matched well)

                As for you GibberingEloquence, I avoided reading the thread first to avoid making my judgement based on how others perceived it. I "hear" a smart voice, clear, and to the point, Oddly i hear a hint of humor in the way you speak, not like a comedian, but arg hard to describe, a gentle subtle humor like a slight uptick as you make your point, if that makes ANY sense at all. I'm likely way off as to what you actually sound like but hey its my brain sorry!


                " It literally feels like someone has goatsed my pelvic bones."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Scelesta View Post
                  As for you GibberingEloquence, I avoided reading the thread first to avoid making my judgement based on how others perceived it. I "hear" a smart voice, clear, and to the point, Oddly i hear a hint of humor in the way you speak, not like a comedian, but arg hard to describe, a gentle subtle humor like a slight uptick as you make your point, if that makes ANY sense at all. I'm likely way off as to what you actually sound like but hey its my brain sorry!
                  That is quite flattering. You were spot on with the hint of humor, though I prefer to share that with those I know well IRL. I feel less inhibited about telling jokes when I'm online, and the reception I get sometimes is very uplifting. Three examples: this, this and this.


                  "Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Now I'm vaguely curious if anyone has those about me. Let's see... AzraelFirestorm kinda has... kinda imagine a "Fire and Brimstone" preacher, but you know, not talking about those. It's that kind of energy and power to their voice. Charlaquin has a voice that is more quiet, calm, and measured under most circumstances. Scelesta I feel has a sort of... sing-song, childish aspect (I don't mean this as an insult). There's a kind of energy, kindness, and sense of innocent decency to it. Sorry I'm not quite sure on anyone else.



                    ​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

                    http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by haren View Post
                      Scelesta I feel has a sort of... sing-song, childish aspect (I don't mean this as an insult). There's a kind of energy, kindness, and sense of innocent decency to it. Sorry I'm not quite sure on anyone else.
                      I promise I'll come back tommorow and post what i think your voice is i'm just to tired right now. However i did want to say you got it pretty spot on i think. Maybe the brave amongst us could record a short clip of talking so we can see how close we actually got!


                      " It literally feels like someone has goatsed my pelvic bones."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Scelesta View Post

                        I promise I'll come back tommorow and post what i think your voice is i'm just to tired right now. However i did want to say you got it pretty spot on i think. Maybe the brave amongst us could record a short clip of talking so we can see how close we actually got!

                        Sounds interesting, sadly, while there are things I can do without fear, this isn't one of them. I'll take jumping into a river to save a kid (with his mom) any day.



                        ​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

                        http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A thousand sounds upon the wind, every last one different to the last


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nyrufa has a vibrant and joyful tone, like a ringmaster, stage magician or a performer in general.

                            amechra has this witty and intellectual tone, especially when they are theory-crafting or homebrewing. I often imagine them adjusting their glasses and scratching their chin in a pensive or analytical way.


                            "Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can the darkness incarnate be bestowed with the knowledge of his vocal or is his shadey nature his downfall?


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X