Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Have Specific Voices In Your Mind For Other Users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    I shall have to get that corrected...
    Much better. Anyway, my immediate version of your voice - almost certainly because of the picture - is quite a firm, strong one with the sort of 'twang' that you always get from ex-military people. That's probably a mile off the mark, but that's my image.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

• Maybe. I don't have any twang i know of.. Heck my english side of my accent is so assimilated into my american accent you can barely hear it anymore.

Comment

• Oddly enough, despite growing up in the very heart of Appalachia, I don't have an accent nor did I as a kid. Maybe it's because I was raised by television. That and my parents were careful to lose their accents in their teen years, well before I was born.

Comment

• Hm. I don't think that I "read" with voices. Knowing that certain people do so is incredibly perplexing for me. But I have major problems with both visual and audio "mind imagining" [I can't recall or create images and sounds in my mind], which might be source of the problem.

Comment

• Here's hoping my voice has changed, for obvious reasons.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
              Oddly enough, despite growing up in the very heart of Appalachia, I don't have an accent nor did I as a kid. Maybe it's because I was raised by television. That and my parents were careful to lose their accents in their teen years, well before I was born.
              I likewise grew up in Appalachia but my accent story is a little more complicated. Neither of my parents were from Appalachia originally and both being from educated backgrounds had a well-meaning but kind of condescending disdain for it, so they fastidiously corrected me any time I would adopt a twang or an aphorism. I was also a bookish kid and tended to have an elevated affect anyway. As I went through school though I found this made me a target, so eventually after years of bullying I'd had enough and consciously assimilated into the local vernacular to the point that it was second nature, helped along by spending a lot of time out in the woods with the scouts. It was still noticeably my speech, no one was ever going to mistake me for a good old boy, but I had enough accent that I didn't stick out of a crowd. Then late in adolescence I started spending more time outside of Appalachia and people would make fun of me whenever a twang or an ain't would slip out. I was stuck, and it made me self-conscious. So I started walking back the way I came, deliberately suppressing the accent I'd gone out of my way to adopt. Now what I hear all the time is "Oh you're from West Virginia? You don't sound like it at all!" To which I can only reply "Yeah, I get that a lot."

Comment

• I'm still struggling with the idea that people read with "voices" and that "voices" aren't intellectual assumptions and metaphors about essence of the particular text bit born from parsing it and putting it in the context of the profile we have for that person, but it made me curious; is there anyone who "reads" me with a voice? How does it, um, sound?

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
                  I'm still struggling with the idea that people read with "voices" and that "voices" aren't intellectual assumptions and metaphors about essence of the particular text bit born from parsing it and putting it in the context of the profile we have for that person, but it made me curious; is there anyone who "reads" me with a voice? How does it, um, sound?
                  I often see you posting analyses of crunch, and you seem like a calm and focused person. Your user images further add to the feel of a collected scholar. But you also show a sharp sense of humor sometimes. The overall mental sound is close to that of Velma from Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc, but nowhere near as nasal.
                  Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 03-21-2017, 08:28 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• I get a girl from an anime tone. Like the one with glasses who's logical.

It's obviously heavily biased by the avatar.

Comment

I'm still struggling with the idea that people read with "voices" and that "voices" aren't intellectual assumptions and metaphors about essence of the particular text bit born from parsing it and putting it in the context of the profile we have for that person, but it made me curious; is there anyone who "reads" me with a voice? How does it, um, sound?
                      I mean, I'm pretty sure the "voices" we read text with are absolutely intellectual assumptions and metaphors about essence of the particular text bit born from parsing it and putting it in the context of the profile we have for that person. But "voices" is just easier to write out

Anyway, your posts have a very even and collected tone to me. Not unlike Spock in cadence, but higher in pitch. The pitch is in a pretty middle range, neither deep and masculine nor high and feminine. Not monotone though. I think I agree with nofather in the assessment of "like the token intellectual anime girl", with the caveat that it'd definitely be the version from the English dub, because that character's voice in the sub would almost definitely be too high.
                      Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-21-2017, 11:39 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Hey, I asked some people around me and they stared at me with that question mark in their eyes, wondering if I'm pulling their leg; "of course I vocalize in my head, it's like, I can't even imagine not doing it". Don't laugh :C.

I see that my avatars certainly contributed to the image. I actually love that Velma thing, I need to watch this incarnation of Scooby. I always respected her in original cartoons. Gonna show these descriptions to my friends and ask them what they think about it, they will probably stare at me again blinking slowly :P. Thank you all for sharing this with me, it's very interesting experience.
                        Also it's kinda reassuring, because the traits you all mentioned are things I kinda like and would aspire to be, if that makes sense.
                        ...though I need to check out some Spock videos, because when it comes to Star Trek, I'm the Picard person, so Spock is less of a icon to me than Data.

Comment

Hey, I asked some people around me and they stared at me with that question mark in their eyes, wondering if I'm pulling their leg; "of course I vocalize in my head, it's like, I can't even imagine not doing it". Don't laugh :C.
                          Sorry, I did not mean to make fun of your reaction.

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                          when it comes to Star Trek, I'm the Picard person, so Spock is less of a icon to me than Data.
                          Same here, but Data's speech pattern is too awkward and stilted for your posts, with his inability to use contractions and general air of bemusement about everything. Spock has a similar cool logic, but is far more collected.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• I have to hand it to you WHW, I was too afraid to look conceited if I asked what people thought my voice sounded like, and then you just go and do it and everybody was cool with it. XD You make it look easy.

So yeah...I'm curious what people think my "voice" is like.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                            Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                            He/him pronouns, please

Comment

• Torbjörn from Overwatch without the accent. Basically fantasy dwarf voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                                Sorry, I did not mean to make fun of your reaction.

Same here, but Data's speech pattern is too awkward and stilted for your posts, with his inability to use contractions and general air of bemusement about everything. Spock has a similar cool logic, but is far more collected.
                                *Takes a beat for Critical Failure on a Joke roll*.
                                It was supposed to be funny. *

*failure to make a joke is a joke in itself, ah ha! :P

BDH, don't worry, I had similar doubts but then I scanned threads history to check how received were similar questions in the past to boost my confidence!
                                ...Gibbering Eloquence, it might be because I'm not wearing my glasses, but for whatever reason, my brain tries to assume that Xenomorphs mouth is on the other side of it's head in your avatar. Probably because it's the point where human eye is drawn when looking at a image (I think it was slightly up-to-right from the center?)

Comment

Working...
                                X