Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any writers on the forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any writers on the forum?

    I was curious because I think the bond between roleplaying, especially storytelling, and writing is very strong.

    V:TM and the rest of White Wolf's products were a big influence on me.

    They're what helped get me into the mindset of creation for a living.

  • #2
    Hi!

    When I don't have paid contracts, I write my own not-yet-finished books, and a Star Wars fanfiction about institutional failure in the Old Republic, the Empire, and the New Republic.


    Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
      Hi!

      When I don't have paid contracts, I write my own not-yet-finished books, and a Star Wars fanfiction about institutional failure in the Old Republic, the Empire, and the New Republic.
      Amateur writing is every bit as valid as amateur sportswork, which is to say it's still a great example of the genre.

      :thumbs up:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The young man in the cafe View Post
        I have a novel series I am working on. The first book is being worked on by my editor and I am getting started on a short story set in the same universe that I will send to various short story mags to promote the book. The universe of the book is a open magic version of our world where magic was always public (Basically the supernatural beings mostly avoided persecution by making themselves useful to the mundane authorities, along with a few events from various world mythologies that turned out different (for example, the story of Tamamo no Mae in Japan has a happier ending in my world that is the reason therianthropes exist openly in Asia, whereas the leaders of the European weres basically became vassals of the various mundane royals).

        I won't give spoilers for the novel, but the short story is basically a customer service hell tale of the clerks, not always wrong, CA Pinkham's off the menu sort, starring a pack of teenage werewolves (and a couple other sorts of teen supernaturals) trying to survive retail work at a mall in the aughts.
        So yep. My novel actually resulted from me combining the scraps from a bunch of CofD and GURPS campaigns that never got off the ground. Also one of the antagonist groups is a parody of WtA.


        My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

        My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

        Comment


        • #5
          So I got anxious about not hearing back on my submission to OPP and wrote another one. Was that a stupid move? My first was four months ago and the anxiety of waiting finally caught up to me.


          Just call me Lex.

          Female pronouns for me, please.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            So I got anxious about not hearing back on my submission to OPP and wrote another one. Was that a stupid move? My first was four months ago and the anxiety of waiting finally caught up to me.
            Well, I didn't hear back from my first publisher for six months. It's easy to get lost in the system but this is why I often submit to multiple publishers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Note,

              I'm a professional writer with five books currently out. I've got The Rules of Supervillainy, The Games of Supervillainy, The Secrets of Supervillainy, Esoterrorism, and Straight Outta Fangton.

              I wrote for six years before getting published and had to switch from my first publisher (Permuted Press) to my current ones (Amber Cove, Ragnarok, and Crossroad Press). My currently best selling novel, The Rules of Supervillainy (10,000+ sold), was actually the only book rejected among the five. I learned a LOT about writing and publishing, primarily through the school of hard knocks.

              I owe a lot to V:TM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                Note,

                I'm a professional writer with five books currently out. I've got The Rules of Supervillainy, The Games of Supervillainy, The Secrets of Supervillainy, Esoterrorism, and Straight Outta Fangton.

                I wrote for six years before getting published and had to switch from my first publisher (Permuted Press) to my current ones (Amber Cove, Ragnarok, and Crossroad Press). My currently best selling novel, The Rules of Supervillainy (10,000+ sold), was actually the only book rejected among the five. I learned a LOT about writing and publishing, primarily through the school of hard knocks.

                I owe a lot to V:TM.
                On the similar naming front, have you ever checked out The Esoterrorists by Robin Laws? It's one of the best games Pelgrane Press has ever put out and is some of the freshest-feeling horror out there.


                Just call me Lex.

                Female pronouns for me, please.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

                  On the similar naming front, have you ever checked out The Esoterrorists by Robin Laws? It's one of the best games Pelgrane Press has ever put out and is some of the freshest-feeling horror out there.
                  Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

                  In retrospect, due to the confusion, I wish I'd named my booksomething else.

                  License to Spell perhaps.

                  But Simon R. Green has a lock on Bond parody titles.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

                    Amateur writing is every bit as valid as amateur sportswork, which is to say it's still a great example of the genre.

                    :thumbs up:
                    I have to keep myself sharp when I don't have professional contracts! Speaking of which.

                    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    So I got anxious about not hearing back on my submission to OPP and wrote another one. Was that a stupid move? My first was four months ago and the anxiety of waiting finally caught up to me.
                    Every time I've submitted to a gaming company and the response was positive, I heard back pretty quickly. I heard back from OPP in two and a half months, Third Eye Games within a week, and Paizo within three weeks.

                    That's just my experience, though, I could totally be the outlier, or the people reading your submissions could be busier now than they were in my cases.


                    Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
                    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
                      Hi!

                      When I don't have paid contracts, I write my own not-yet-finished books, and a Star Wars fanfiction about institutional failure in the Old Republic, the Empire, and the New Republic.

                      Say... You wouldn't happen to have a link to said Star Wars fanfiction lying around... would you?


                      Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post


                        Say... You wouldn't happen to have a link to said Star Wars fanfiction lying around... would you?
                        DO I EVER

                        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11099086/1/The-New-Order

                        I would love your crit! If you would like to leave a review, you don't need an account to do so. Also please feel free to reach out to me here, over PM, or over Facebook. Whatever's most convenient for you (and anyone else who might read).


                        Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
                        Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I write a quest in the Exalted forums (See link in signature)

                          I also submitted for the Changeling anthology. Still too early to know if I got in or not.


                          Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

                          The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm a full-time writer, yeah, but unsurprisingly it's all RPG work.


                            Currently Developing you know I should probably stop updating this field, I keep accidentally announcing things early
                            Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lula View Post
                              I'm a full-time writer, yeah, but unsurprisingly it's all RPG work.
                              For me, the difference between RPG work and novel writing is giving people tools to write a novel versus writing a novel.

                              Perhaps an even more valuable gift.



                              What have you got out/are working on? I'd love to know.

                              BTW, guys, this month I've had two novels come out if anyone is interested in either subject.

                              STRAIGHT OUTTA FANGTON - my look at the absurdities of being a vampire (I think of Peter why being a Brujah sucks in a coterie of Ventrue and Toreador)

                              CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON - my post apocalypse Western set in Lovecraft's world.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X