The Furry Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

The attack helicopter meme has been appropriated by transphobic asshats. Also, I know some lovely otherkin; just think of it as a new age religion and it makes a lot more sense.

Ehhh, calling it a religion might be bit of a stretch (Ironic, seeing as I tried to start up a full blown cult in highschool). But I can see it having elements of spiritualism to it. Still, I think a large part of the hate directed towards Otherkin stems from people seeing it as taking the fantasy a little bit too far. It's one thing to draw comics or write stories about you being turned into an anthropomorphic squirrel. It's something else completely to go around insisting that you are a squirrel in a man's body!

This point of view isn't limited to just the Otherkin, though. Fur suiting is very popular in the furry community, and yet there are still those who consider the hobby to be a little bit on the creepy side. When you realize that most fur suiters design their own costumes and often spend thousands of dollars in order to do so, you can see why some people might have mixed feelings about it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with either one of them. Given my current view of humanity in general, I'm not completely sure if I might be Otherkin or not. But whatever the situation, as long as the person in question isn't being obnoxious about it, I say just let them be who they want.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

My new forum avatar is basically my male side's fursona. The only idealized part is me being able to afford a current console.

here is a close up

I have a whole bunch of other art from the same artist

Like this Neanderthal cave werewolf (I like to think of him as my male fursona's prehistoric ancestor)

My female side's fursona is here as a 50s housewife (which I have love for the aesthetics of when in female mode)

My latest drawing I got from him is this 80s corporate jerk werewolf

Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 01-13-2018, 04:52 PM.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

I don't think that deer is going to fit.

Better get the bone saw!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          I don't think that deer is going to fit.

Better get the bone saw!
          Every werewolf needs to have one of those in the kitchen.

And here is a drawing of a werewolf barista dealing with idiot customers at Snarlbucks drawn by the same artist as the others (Snarlbucks being the idea of a different artist named Teknicolor tiger)

Comment

Oh by the way, if you guys haven't read the Subject 9 webcomic, I highly recommend checking it out.

I don't know who the artist is (even though the artwork looks very familiar), but it was uploaded to youtube as a motion animated comic.

This link contains all 31 episodes.

Comment

This thread requires more love!

Comment

I've mainly been on the fringe of furrydom: for me, its not so much about having a “fursona” or dressing up in fur-suits or in any other way personally identifying with a kind of animal as it is about sapient animals in entertainment: the Wind in the Willows; Watership Down; Disney's Robin Hood, Talespin, Rescuers Down Under, Lady and the Tramp, Lion King, and others; Thundercats; My Little Pony; Palladium Books' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and After the Bomb RPGs; Onyx Path's Pugmire and Monarchies of Mew; Big Ears Small Mouse; and so on.

I would love to write and publish an RPG featuring a world of anthropomorphic animals, with no humans to be found even in legend, with character types spanning the full range of possibilities from elephants to mice and from sloths to cheetahs, and featuring both magic and superscience. Something like a cross between Zootopia and Thundercats. Thus far, only Palladium Books' furry-based games come anywhere close to what I'm looking for; and the game system is simply atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  I've mainly been on the fringe of furrydom: for me, its not so much about having a “fursona” or dressing up in fur-suits or in any other way personally identifying with a kind of animal as it is about sapient animals in entertainment: the Wind in the Willows; Watership Down; Disney's Robin Hood, Talespin, Rescuers Down Under, Lady and the Tramp, Lion King, and others; Thundercats; My Little Pony; Palladium Books' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and After the Bomb RPGs; Onyx Path's Pugmire and Monarchies of Mew; Big Ears Small Mouse; and so on.

I would love to write and publish an RPG featuring a world of anthropomorphic animals, with no humans to be found even in legend, with character types spanning the full range of possibilities from elephants to mice and from sloths to cheetahs, and featuring both magic and superscience. Something like a cross between Zootopia and Thundercats. Thus far, only Palladium Books' furry-based games come anywhere close to what I'm looking for; and the game system is simply atrocious.

Well, I don't know about super science, but have you considered Furry Pirates?

I've also tried my hand at creating a number of free form style furry role playing games, but they always fizzled out. Often with players losing interest almost immediately after submitting their character sheets. Which simultaneously confused and infuriated me when I waited for them to hop into a game and they never showed back up again. There's only so many times you can dedicate weeks of passionate world building and lore write ups (only for nobody to care about it) before you lose the motivation to try again.

Comment

More art from the artist I patreon

Meet my 50s housewife fursona's greaser son and his girlfriend

Comment

• Would an RPG be considered "furry" just because it has anthropomorphic animals or is there more to it than that? I'm getting conflicting opinions on it from both sides, and I'm curious because I'm revisiting an idea of mine for a role-playing game involving anthropomorphic animal characters.

The idea was called "Trench Critters" and based in World War I, originally envisioned as being like "The Wind In The Willows but with machine guns and mustard gas", and I was initially worried about it being labeled as furry but that no longer bothers me. While I myself am not a furry in the traditional sense, I am comfortable with most furries and if people were to label my project as "furry", that honestly would be okay with me so long as they like the game itself for what it is as a game system.

I want to revisit the idea, but I am unsure if I should continue the World War I theme or do a different period of history. I've considered ideas for Ancient Rome, Dark Ages Europe and Medieval Fantasy (I suppose it'd be similar to Ironclaw), as well as the American Civil War and more recent conflicts like the Korean War and other Cold War events. I've got so many ideas I don't know what to do with them.

Hell, you could even do a "Furry Cyberpunk" game and that could be good.

While I don't have a fursona per se, I do have an interesting idea for a Trench Critters character that I have grown fond of. His name is Henry Anderson, and he is a young British infantry soldier in the trenches of the Western Front. His species is Ring-Necked Pheasant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
                        Would an RPG be considered "furry" just because it has anthropomorphic animals or is there more to it than that? I'm getting conflicting opinions on it from both sides, and I'm curious because I'm revisiting an idea of mine for a role-playing game involving anthropomorphic animal characters.

The idea was called "Trench Critters" and based in World War I, originally envisioned as being like "The Wind In The Willows but with machine guns and mustard gas", and I was initially worried about it being labeled as furry but that no longer bothers me. While I myself am not a furry in the traditional sense, I am comfortable with most furries and if people were to label my project as "furry", that honestly would be okay with me so long as they like the game itself for what it is as a game system.

I want to revisit the idea, but I am unsure if I should continue the World War I theme or do a different period of history. I've considered ideas for Ancient Rome, Dark Ages Europe and Medieval Fantasy (I suppose it'd be similar to Ironclaw), as well as the American Civil War and more recent conflicts like the Korean War and other Cold War events. I've got so many ideas I don't know what to do with them.

While I don't have a fursona per se, I do have an interesting idea for a Trench Critters character that I have grown fond of. His name is Henry Anderson, and he is a young British infantry soldier in the trenches of the Western Front. His species is Ring-Necked Pheasant.

Whether or not the game could be construed as 'furry' would come down to the individual players themselves, rather than some broad interpretation.

As I previously explained, a furry is somebody who takes an interest in using anthropomorphic animals as a means of expressing themselves; hopefully in a good way, but every culture has its share of weirdos.

If you're worried about the game being labeled as furry, I might suggest adding some additional sentient races, provided you have not already done so. If anthros are the only civilization walking around, then that could push the players to interpreting the game as being a furry universe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
                          Would an RPG be considered "furry" just because it has anthropomorphic animals or is there more to it than that? I'm getting conflicting opinions on it from both sides, and I'm curious because I'm revisiting an idea of mine for a role-playing game involving anthropomorphic animal characters.

Furry cyberpunk is super underrated, especially as transhumanist themes and ideas of body modification and queer identity expression expand further (fur-ther, haha!) into the genre. I know myself and no few number of my friends would look at least somewhat furry given the chance to. The intresting thing with that is not having an exclusively furry cyberpunk world, but rather having that be one of many axes of expression as freedom to truly liberate your body opens up; while a decent share of the world would be content looking like pretty humans (and we pity them for being so married to that tragic baseline), others would be furries, or chrome goddesses, or incomprehensible walking performance art - or a meld of all. That’s the richest material in the modern cyberpunk genre to me, the questions of body and expression and identity and how technology influence that and open that up and tamp it down.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Furry cyberpunk is super underrated, especially as transhumanist themes and ideas of body modification and queer identity expression expand further (fur-ther, haha!) into the genre. I know myself and no few number of my friends would look at least somewhat furry given the chance to. The intresting thing with that is not having an exclusively furry cyberpunk world, but rather having that be one of many axes of expression as freedom to truly liberate your body opens up; while a decent share of the world would be content looking like pretty humans (and we pity them for being so married to that tragic baseline), others would be furries, or chrome goddesses, or incomprehensible walking performance art - or a meld of all. That’s the richest material in the modern cyberpunk genre to me, the questions of body and expression and identity and how technology influence that and open that up and tamp it down.

Comment

• I got another drawing (more a sketch this time) of my male side's fursona, the chubby gamer werewolf. this time with a burger clutched in his paw/hand

Comment

• Huh, surprised my last post didn't get any likes. I think the pics (by MetaDragon) were pretty awesome.

Anyways, have some Star Wars to go with your furries!

Comment

Working...
                                X