Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any conservative gamers around? Yes... we do exist.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any conservative gamers around? Yes... we do exist.

Yes, any conservative gamers around? The Ron Paul / Gary Johnson crowd is also very welcome!

I'm for Gary Johnson, because I only vote for politicians that I've physically touched. He was gentle, but firm.

The Midnight Oil on 98.1 FM HOWL RADIO - https://twitter.com/AzraelFirestorm?s=09

Comment

I'm somewhere in the middle; I believe the Bible is God's word, but my thought's on how people have interpreted it can vary.

I'm Pro Life.(With exceptions for rape, incest, and worst-case scenarios.) Don't want the kid? Plenty of people looking to adopt.

I'm Pro Gun Control. Assault rifles are for the battlefield, not the suburbs.

I'm Pro Death Penalty. You kill, you deserve to be killed; not as a "deterrent", but to make damn sure you don't kill again.

I'm... respectfully ambivalent about Marriage Equality.(I know what the Bible says, but the First Amendment says we shouldn't make laws based on religion, so while I wouldn't vote for it, I also wouldn't vote against.)

I respect scientific evidence, but I question "Atheist Dogma". (If the Universe exploded from a single point of infinite mass, where did that single point come from? How could something as complex as a DNA molecule occur by mere chance?)

As a Multi-ethnic American, I try to see both sides of any race issue.

On fiscal matters... I lean pretty far left. 1% of the populace controlling more than 50% of a nation's resources seems like a recipe for disaster. That's how Third World countries work.(Well, FAIL to work, technically.)

I think America has SOME responsibility to act as the World's police, but only because no one else seems to want to step up. I sometimes think if we had just let the Soviets HAVE Afghanistan back during the Cold War, it would be THEM dealing with Islamic Extremists, and not us. Seems like every time we step in to help, the people we help turn around and attack us later, usually with the guns WE gave them.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
        I respect scientific evidence, but I question "Atheist Dogma". (If the Universe exploded from a single point of infinite mass, where did that single point come from? How could something as complex as a DNA molecule occur by mere chance?)
        Are these points you would be interested in discussing at all? They are topics that fascinating to me and I very much enjoy talking about but I wouldn't want to launch into such a discussion unsolicited. It would also be way, way off-topic, so you know. Just offering an invitation to talk about it in another thread or private message if you ever feel like it. For what it's worth, I'm with you all the way on respecting scientific evidence but being critical of atheism (as well as any other dogma). If pressed to define my religious outlook I would say I'm a spiritual agnostic, but even that is not a totally satisfying description to me.

I'm definitely not conservative, so that's probably all I'll post in this thread.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Atheism isn't a dogma, it's an ontological position. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

I'm good with people believing what they like, so long as they extend me the same courtesy. I'm pretty liberal, but there are some things I lean conservatively on (yes, you CAN do that!). I guess my main question here would be, does conservatism show up in or affect your gaming at all? Does it affect how you, if you're the ST, would portray, say, the vampire or mage power structures? Do you find yourself portraying anarchs (or whatever the modern equivalents are) as liberal caricatures? Or are your games pretty free of any sort of ideology at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
              Are these points you would be interested in discussing at all?
              Yes, I would be interested in such a discussion. Public or private, your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
                Atheism isn't a dogma, it's an ontological position. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program.
                What I mean, is that Athe​ists can be just as prone to stating an unproven, and unprovable, theory as an empirical fact as any religious/spiritual individual can be about saying their God, gods, or interpretation of same are the only possible answers to life's big questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post

What I mean, is that Athe​ists can be just as prone to stating an unproven, and unprovable, theory as an empirical fact as any religious/spiritual individual can be about saying their God, gods, or interpretation of same are the only possible answers to life's big questions.
                  That's nice, has absolutely nothing to do with atheism and everything to do with human psychology but I really don't feel like talking to you so have fun with the thread, I'm out.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Im relatively socially conservative.

I (use to be) vehemently anti abortion, and homophobic, but have mellow a bit in my middle years.

I also am to this day a vehement proponent of Genital integrity.

I Still tend to dislike Plans to "Burn down the establishment!!!" without a plan of WHAT precisely you will replace it with.

Comment

I am Spanish, and here the media is anti-Christian. A Catholic Spanish watching movies about Spanish Civil War is like the Captain America reading "Russia Today". I am very angry when I read the fantasy version of the Inquisition (for example Castilla from "7th Sea"). Why do you talk about Torquemada but you say nothing about Asia Bibi and Pakistan anti-blasfemy law? I don't spend 30 euros to feel like Peter Parker reading J.J. Jameson's articles about Spiderman, or "Friends of humanity" propaganda about mutans. In my homebrew fiction the "mugless" hates-fear againts spellcasters and powerless humans againts mutants and metahumans is a allegory about comunist workers againt businessmen.

And it is curious, because now USA is the new American Empire, and they are suffering their own black legend created by enemy propaganda. I hope they understand how we feel with anti-Spanish and anti-Catholic misinformation.

Please, we need the right balance between self-criticism and self-esteem, both are necesary, but too much may hurt you. USA isn't worse than Russia or China, and Catholic Spanish empire wasn't worse than our rival powers. America isn't the evil empire.To accept a lot of things have to be improved or corrected doesn't mean the others to be better option to be the supreme power.
                      Last edited by Luis Carlos; 10-02-2016, 07:34 AM.

Comment

For me, I'm not conservative. I'm fiscally liberal and socially moderate. But I really don't like my own generation's brand of political correctness and we'll just leave it at that because I don't want to break any rules.

​I do support the right to bear arms (a traditionally conservative value) and the right to free speech and free expression (Hence my dislike of PC culture/identity politics), but other than that, I generally lean to the left.

​However, I do believe that everyone has the right to believe in and express their own ideologies, regardless of whether or not I personally agree with it, and this goes for both sides of the political spectrum.

Comment

The key is to respect the human dignity, the base of the human rights. Without human dignity you can't defend freedom, tolerance and citizens' rights. People shouldn't understand State isn't Robin Hood stealing to rich men to give them to the poors, but the king John Lackland collecting taxes. The anticapitalism doesn't want to distribute the wealth but monopolize it. They want to replace the businessmen with their own oligarchy of party bosses and their entourage of privileged friends. A good example is the Spanish movie and teleseries industry. We don't want to see Spanish movies, because they are boring propaganda, but it is paid with subsidies. But we want to watch Spanish teleseries, because TV channels don't get subsidies, they risk their own money and they have produce series to be liked by the public. Do you remember the marvel civil war? It is a good example of Keynes vs Hayek economy. State wants to controll the power to protect the people,(or they tell us that), but liberals don't want be controlled by state because we don't trust goverments with too much power.

In my fantasy settings, divine and arcane spellcasters are a allegory about state vs businessmen. The clerics are like state, they says they want to protect the powerless people againts the powerful ones but you have to obey their rules, and the wizards are like rich businessmen, feared and envied by the masses, but they say their powers is by their effort and talent. In my works the hate againts the wizards by muggles, or againts mutants by powerless humans is a metaphor about the anticapitalism hate. A great power is a great responsability, but not always the powerful is the villain of the story and the weak isn't the innocent victim. Don't trust too much who promises defend people againts most powerfuls. Maybe the rebel is a new tyrant worse than the last one.

And please, I don't want any more the stupy cliché about Christians believers hating Sciencie. We aren't like that crazy Carrie's mother (that Stephen King's character with telekinetic powers). Our teology allows us to reconcile Reason and Faith, we haven't to reject one of them. Lots of great scientifics were believers. The father of Big Bang theory, George Lemaitre, was a priest, the creater of scientify method, FRAY Rogerd Bacon was a Franciscan friar. René Descartes, creator of Racionalist philosphy, was believer. And what do you know about Troffin Lysenko's pseudo-ciencie in Soviet Union? By his fault genetic studies and evolution theories were forbidden.
                          Last edited by Luis Carlos; 10-03-2016, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Conservative gamer, here.

Definitely have some liberal views as well, but I tend to side more towards conservative. It really hasn't affected my games in any negative way, and I play with mostly liberal gamers. So no problems there.

However, I've noticed an increasingly hostile attitude towards conservative views by game developers, forum moderators, etc. Which is fine, since it's their playground, and I know if I don't like it, I can leave.

But I'll be honest: sometimes it bothers me. In a way that any extremist of any political or religious ideology can bother me, I guess. Not sure how to explain it.

So I do my best educate myself on pretty much one thing: Are you a nice fucking person that treats others with respect and doesn't push your views into someone else's mouth? Awesome. I'll buy your product.

Are you a raging dick hemorrhoid that shoves your views into people like a bully in secondary school? No thanks. Keep your shit.

It's saving me quite a bit of money in the long run!

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

So. I was reading the 7th Sea 2nd edition corebook and got to the section on the Rilasciare - the anarchist secret society that players can join.

My first impression of them? "Wow, okay, I know you shouldn't just blindly follow tradition instead of thinking for yourself, but really guys? What a bunch of *#(@)."

So, yes. I identify as "inclined to conservatism." To what extent I haven't quite narrowed down yet.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Working...
                              X