Geeky Parenting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeky Parenting?

I was wondering if there were any other parents here?

I have one daughter and one on the way and while my current daughter is a bit young, I am anxious to introduce her to all of my geeky hobbies including RPG's. Has anybody else here introduced their kids to role playing? If so, at what age and when? If not that, then other geeky activities or entertainment?

No kids of my own, but I was a nanny for a little while, and I introduced the kids to gaming. The first family I nannied for, the kids were too young (two and five), but the second family's kids were five and eight.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Cool, what game was it and how did they like it?

Comment

I have a one year old and another due in in march lord help me.

My daughters still to young but she sits in on game night, i read rpg books to her and tell her she can play with us when shes a bit older. I think 4 or 5 is a good age to reallly get them into it. Old enough to start learning basic rules and can focus

" It literally feels like someone has goatsed my pelvic bones."

Comment

Mine's going to be five in a few months. Think gaming will have to wait a couple years but we'll try something like Dungeons and Dragons first. Probably not start with the actual game so much as the co-operative storytelling.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Mine's going to be five in a few months. Think gaming will have to wait a couple years but we'll try something like Dungeons and Dragons first. Probably not start with the actual game so much as the co-operative storytelling.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, more free form, and introducing the rules bit by bit so as to not overwhelm their little brains.

" It literally feels like someone has goatsed my pelvic bones."

Comment

There is a kinda fantastic game for young kids, though fun for all ages available from drive thru rpg. Fairy tale deluxe it's a very simple system and you play little faries helping cute animals and kids in a magical forest. It was created by the author to get his little girls into gaming and his normal group plays it too.

Comment

There are a bunch of RPG games for kids. I've head good things about Happy Birthday Robot.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

DriveThruRPG has a kids bundle on their site for $20, Fairy Tale Deluxe and others are included, one hell of a deal.

My 2 Baby Bears don't really need a lot of help coming up with pretend things to play, and rules would just get in their way at this stage (6 and 4). A couple of years from now, they might be ready for it. I'll try out a few now.

As far as other "geeky" things, they like Star Wars but more in theory than practice: they have yet to sit thru the original in full, but the oldest Baby Bear will watch the Lego Star Wars and Rebels. They like superheroes, they've watched Justice League and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes almost from beginning to end. They've watched several of the Marvel Cinematic movies with us (no Deadpool, they're too young, but that shit was funny!) and almost stand still/stay awake for Agents of SHIELD (not this season, though, it's on too late at night). They want to play Wii and Playstation with me, the former they're getting the hang of, the latter they're still struggling with the controls.

They're also still little girls, so they still get excited over dolls, ponies and pretty/cute things, so before anyone goes down that path, they're just going to be well rounded. They might play superheroes with the boys, but they want to be Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Black Widow, or Supergirl. they are my Warrior Princesses, they will kick ass and takes names and look FABULOUS doing it!
                  Last edited by Papa Bear; 10-05-2016, 12:47 PM.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                  - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've got a 14 year old son. He's been gaming with me for a while now. He even tried his hand at storytelling for a few sessions, but felt overwhelmed.

They call me... Mr. Demmywinks.

Comment

My suggestion for RPG for +6 children is "Magissa" but I don't know about any English languange version yet.

Comment

If you are looking for a rules light game to introduce new players, then Risus is the best way to go. Rules are simple, combat is fast, general theme can be silly (or serious, depending on what you want out of a game) and the game's free as well.

Originally posted by Sergeant Brother View Post
                        I have one daughter and one on the way and while my current daughter is a bit young, I am anxious to introduce her to all of my geeky hobbies including RPG's. Has anybody else here introduced their kids to role playing? If so, at what age and when? If not that, then other geeky activities or entertainment?
                        Bedtime stories. Read books to her, spark her imagination, introduce her to the world of fantasy. With a bit of luck she'll start to read on her own later both to learn more stories and hopefully learn something. Then when she reaches a good age introduce her to roleplaying and you're done.

But, and this is the most important part: Accept it if she says no. Don't force your hobbies onto someone who's not interested, and pick up on it if they're just playing to please you. Playing with someone who doesn't want to is its very own circle of hell.

Comment

Working...
                        X