Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to fix Bloodlines on STeam running Windows 10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to fix Bloodlines on STeam running Windows 10?

All the usual workarounds and the fan patch don't work anymore, thus midway through my install was hosed even after deleting everything and reinstalling with the fixes like compatibility mode and patch 9.6. Soooo frustrating!

What kind of error are you getting? I'm at work now, so I can't check my installation. But from what I recall, the only things I had to do was to install the patch and to point out where my steamapp folder is located as it isn't on the standard location.

Comment

Originally posted by Lundgren View Post
      What kind of error are you getting? I'm at work now, so I can't check my installation. But from what I recall, the only things I had to do was to install the patch and to point out where my steamapp folder is located as it isn't on the standard location.
      It will only say that it stopped responding, then some kind of graphics driver thing, and then windows will unsuccessfully offer to check for a solution or troubleshoot. It won't even launch whereas before it worked fine so long as i used a shortcut rather than the Steam inventory of the game, and set it to compatibility mode for xp plus run as admin, with the fan patch.

Comment

What is the exact sequence of errors, pm me if you would prefer.

Comment

A quick look at my install on a Win 10 with a Nvidia GeForce graphic card.
          I start it from Steam, and I have C:\Program Files (x86)\steam as part of my path environment variable. I'm not running the vampire.exe in any compatibility mode. I can't recall which version of the patch I used and what settings when installing the patch.

When I start the game, I can't see the "video" for Whitewolf or the game developers, just hearing the sound, and when I press "Load Game" it kind of freezes for a while before the list of save files turns up.

It appears like I didn't have to do much more to get it to run. I have just got to Santa Monica, and completed the Cemtex mission, while on Win 10. But no problems during gameplay up to then.

So, unfortunately, it doesn't look like I have much useful information for you.

Comment

What is the full path variable and do i put it in the launch options like -console? That much at least is useful. I also don't see the start up video when it did launch.

Comment

Originally posted by zeroninja View Post
              What is the full path variable and do i put it in the launch options like -console? That much at least is useful. I also don't see the start up video when it did launch.
              The path variable is a list of folders that the command prompt (accessed by going to Start and typing "cmd") will automatically search when you type a command.

e.g. If you open the command prompt and type "blah", the command prompt will search every folder in the path variable, until it finds one with "blah.exe" in it and then launch "blah.exe"

If you add the steam folder to it, like Lundgren has, then you can quickly start Steam, by just typing "steam" at the command prompt.

If your card is an NVidia one, then older settings in one of NVidia's management tools can often be the source of older games (by older I mean roughly 1998-2005) not running on Windows 10, as they can be forcing settings that are impossible for the older engine. This has been the main cause of VtM:B installations not working in my experience.

Comment

Not sure of the exact name on an English install, so it might be just a similar name...
                If you right click on the windows icon, pick "System", "Advanced system settings", "Environment Variables"; then edit the "Path" under system variables and add a semi colon and the string to the end of the line.

Might be that Steam adds it automatically these days, but it was a problem when 64-bits was quite new.

If you type this command in a command promt, you will see your full path variable: echo %path%

Comment

Ok thank you both.

Comment

Originally posted by An Fhuiseog View Post
                    What is the exact sequence of errors, pm me if you would prefer.
                    It just won't even launch. It freezes on start up and says it has stopped responding. When I click for more details, it gives some video error. FYI I am running an onboard graphics card if that makes a difference.

Comment

It just won't even launch. It freezes on start up and says it has stopped responding. When I click for more details, it gives some video error. FYI I am running an onboard graphics card if that makes a difference.
                      Okay, most likely the card is being forced to render in a mode impossible for it. What's the make of the onboard card?

Comment

Intel HD Graphics

Comment

Are you running on compatibility mode?

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
                            Are you running on compatibility mode?
                            I was, yes.

Comment

Thinking about just re-buying it on Good Old Games to avoid this hassle...

Comment

Working...
                              X